vB 4 to IPS or XF

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by dbk, Nov 5, 2018.

1. dbk

dbk Neophyte

+0
    Greetings. Looking for advice based for upgrading a specific car forum I own, which is currently a mish mash.

Small size - 6k members, 500k posts, avg daily users ~500, online since 05
    Hosted by Urljet
    Registry currently on AirTable
    E-Commerce on Shopify
    WP Front Page

The site is a very specific one make auto site, so even with social media taking up a lot of that space, it remains extremely relevant to an older group of users. Making the switch as seamless as possible for them is important to me.

The forum is the most important component. My search functionality seems quite poor, and integrating attachments/social media isn't up to par based on the times. Being car based, pictures/IG make up a lot of the content. I also have a lot of subscribing members. Many are "lifetime," but there are recurring subscriptions as well, so I need to keep all that in order.

I have tried both IPS and XF demos. Honestly, I liked both. I stopped updating vB a while ago because it seemed to cause as many issues as it would fix.

I would appreciate any opinions on IPB4 or XF and which you would recommend for the most stable, efficient user experience based on the above.

2. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+526
    We have many users who switch from vBulletin to IPS.

One of the biggest benefits you'll find with Invision Community that separates it from the other legacy forum software is that it's evolved to a platform. You have a core, and you mix and match your applications. For example, in your scenario I would recommend Forums, Pages, and Commerce. The Commerce app will power your storefront, shipping, and support tickets; the Pages app will power your homepage with a custom page and your registry with a wiki database for collaborate editing. It keeps everything under one roof for a unified experience across your suite. It'll mean a harder migration in the beginning, but a smoother pathway for the future. If you want to keep all of those other third party services, IPS supports oAuth 2 login.

If you're looking for a drop-in replacement for just your forums, then any can work. I would actually encourage you to also look at Discourse, which is the most modern forum experience of the market.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.