VB 3.8 - Upgrade to XF 2.0 first or wait for XF 2.1...

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by BirdOPrey5, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+991
    I should have parodied one of the better known Klingon operas.

Jimi's not pop. He's blues rock.

2. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    Serious enough... Also TV theme songs and songs from The Simpsons...

3. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    So... I should have probably looked into the fact that in the year(?) XF 2 has been around they would have created an importer to import content into the media gallery before attempting to import from VB 3.x and paying extra for the media gallery. Apparently not. The official answer from Xenforo was to migrate to XF 1.5 first and then upgrade to 2.x... Suddenly telling people to import into VB 4.x and then upgrade to VB 5.x doesn't sound as bad.

Other than that the upgrade went well... I think. 3+ million posts imported via command line took "5.84" hours and another hour or so to rebuild threads after that... I did have to redo almost all usergroup/forum permissions since my site had so many different permission combinations. I ended up getting rid of many unneeded usergroups.

Had to manually redo a number of paid subscriptions since VB allowed multiple payment options per subscription, like monthly or yearly, where as XF converted them all to the monthly versions.

Apparently I have too many smilies for the importer. I had to manually cut the XML file in half for it to run. still need to run the 2nd half. (703 smilies though, no surprising. May cut some of them.)

Members reaction so far is mixed, as expected.

Overall... have high hopes. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,747
    The good news is that now XF 2.1 is out of the door, we're focusing more resources on our back log. This includes updating our home page, ticket system etc. to XF 2.1 level code and importers.

upload_2019-2-3_13-50-38.png

Been working on this today. This is an XFMG to XFMG importer. It makes sense to do that first (simply easier to be honest) but a vB albums / Photopost / IPS Gallery importer won't be far behind.

Plus we have some additional traditional forum importers in progress including SMF and IPS Forums. phpBB and MyBB to follow.

Then we might be able to do some new importers from other platforms if there is enough desire for that.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  5. ldsavow

ldsavow Aspirant

+5
    FWIW..
    We just pulled the trigger on jumping from vB3.8 to XF 2.1 on the first of three of our large forums.

We had been playing with XF 2.0 for months now waiting for 2.1 to go GOLD.
    The first Export-Conversion-Import into 2.1 was VASTLY BETTER than all of the previous into 2.0

Had been running us a very consistent 96 hours to do the conversion.

Current vB 3.8 stats
    Threads: 370,647
    Members: 110,054

Hope to have it up and running later today.

6. ldsavow

ldsavow Aspirant

+5
    The basic port from V3.8 to XF 2.1 is DONE.
    Forums are now up and running in "test" mode as we verify everything ported out smoothly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.