VB 3.8 - Upgrade to XF 2.0 first or wait for XF 2.1...

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by BirdOPrey5, Jan 29, 2019.

1. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,099
    But in all seriousness you should try a few test runs or hire mysiteguy he does a great job when people mention him here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  2. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,183
  3. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    Go straight to 2.1. It's built on the 2.0 codebase which appears to be pretty stable, and it'll be less work to go straight to 2.1.

4. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+991
    He even does a great job WITHOUT people mentioning him!:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,210
    Well, 2.1 is now out, so you can book your move :D

6. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    Yep, went to download the software today... and sure enough sure 2.1 as the download option... Guess we'll be starting with 2.1. :D

Will let you know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    Good luck, I hope it goes well :tup:

8. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    So... since you're all so helpful... anyone have ideas on this? I have a bunch of videos (mostly youtube but not exclusively) embedded using the AME (Automatic Media Embedder) mod 2.5 for vBulletin. This puts videos in bbcode like [ame]youtubelink[/ame]. I was thinking of doing a find-replace on the post table to change AME bbcode to URL bbcode... But I would have to edit each post and re-save it for the video to appear in Xenforo 2.x. I did a search on xenforo.com and the only thing I came up with was this- https://xenforo.com/community/threads/post-content-find-replace.135904/

May work but wondering if anything better? I would have thought AME was popular enough someone would have made a mod or importer for it but not finding anything?

If not, I'll do it the hard way.
    '

9. Anton Chigurh

+991
    "Heyyyy Joe...... Where you goin with that knife in yo hand..."

10. Kevin

+1,183
    You want to use the add-on you linked to but read this thread about the regex for converting AME tags (apparently AME supported an option in the tag)...

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/converting-media-tags-from-vb3.25035/#post-305054

EDIT: For AME in particular, be sure to scroll down to at least post #19 and read page #2 as well, looks like there were some deviations of the AME tag at work.

11. Kevin

+1,183
    ... and you did make a copy of your live site and you're trying this on a test install, right? Right? :p

12. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    I am making a backup so I can restore back to VB 3.x is absolutely necessary but the goal is to try and make this in one move. I read to the thread, was just curious if any better option was there. Thank you!

13. Anton Chigurh

+991
    "Heyyyyy Joe, I heard you shot that ole vbulletin down...."

14. Kevin

+1,183
    XF is really flexible with creating new media BB codes and what they are capable of so, for the most part, it's best to try & use the stock media codes when possible for the 'basics' like YouTube.

But, with that said...

I'm actually using a modified version of the YouTube code to enable lazy loading. Over at the sci-fi site somebody was using an iPhone as their one & only means of connecting to the net and a thread that had YT videos in nearly every post, sometimes multiple, was killing the iPhone's response times. It's a bespoke add-on that does what I need it to do.

I don't use it but this add-on ... https://xenforo.com/community/resources/s9e-media-sites.5973/ ... is popular for adding a bunch of additional media code definitions and, I think, it also offers some lazy loading features. After you use the post find/replace to convert your AME tags to standard media tags, so you have a working XF install, you might want to check it out to see if you guys are using any embeds from sites that aren't covered by the default XF choices.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Anton Chigurh

+991
    It definitely does. We're using it on our new xf2.1.0 instance. 130 media sites supported, at last update.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  16. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    Indeed... already downloaded. :) Looking forward to the lazy loading.

I will address this once. I am still running a VB 4.x forum and I have no plans on upgrading or changing that to XF or anything else for the foreseeable future. I have no other planned changes in regards to my position with VB Support.

The bottom line was for this particular forum I felt XenForo was the best option at this time. Do not look deeper into it than that.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  17. Anton Chigurh

+991
    I was only making a parody song.... "Hey Joe" from Jimi Hendrix?

18. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    Forgive me, my knowledge of pop songs doesn't go much beyond Frank Sinatra, Billy Joel. and a handful of others.

19. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,099
    Both of them are legends.

20. Kevin

+1,183
    upload_2019-2-1_19-16-19.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.