VB 3.8 - Upgrade to XF 2.0 first or wait for XF 2.1...

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by BirdOPrey5, Jan 29, 2019.

1. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    My thought is XF 2.0 has been stable a long time and I imagine the import process from VB 3.8 should be pretty bug free at this point. I would keep the forum relatively vanilla for the next few weeks (or months) until XF 2.1 is released and stable and then upgrade and go from there.

However I just want to make sure that logic seems sound to those of you with more XF experience than I...

Forum has 3.5 million posts but only around 1000 users, much less actually active.

Thanks.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,146
    It was mentioned the next release should be considered stable, so ultimately it’s up to you. The upgrade process from XF2.0 > 2.1 is pretty quick and easy especially if you’re not depending on addons and a style.

3. Will_Watts

Will_Watts Habitué

+462
    We're going from vB4 to XF2.1 - there are a few tweaks we needed to make on our dev site from 2.0 to 2.1, but the upgrade process is pretty easy.

4. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,100
    I would wait till 2.1 its matter of weeks before its released.

5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,282
    I agree with Steve, your choice, especially as you intend to keep it vanilla for a short while.

6. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    Thank you all.

7. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+991
    I went from vb4 to xf2.1 and never looked back. Lovin it.

8. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    No bugs during import/upgrade? The standard XF importer?

9. Anton Chigurh

+991
    Yep but hired mysiteguy to do it. Wanted it to be smooth and it was well worth his nominal fee. I ported the styles myself on a test instance first. Was easy as pie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  10. Anton Chigurh

+991
    And I gotta say... I'm excited about the prospect of you going full-blown XF, Joe and porting some of your great addons accordingly.

11. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    Can't promise but we'll see...

12. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,184
    Joe, I know you can't resist temptation and would start looking at using add-ons right away after migrating so do yourself a favor and skip 2.0 and wait just a little bit longer for 2.1 to be released. Do some test migrations in the interim so you can start compiling the list of add-ons that you'll be wanting to use/create.

Two things that might trip you up is that there is no arcade for XF and it's been a long time since I've played with vB3 so I don't recognize what 'albums' add-on you're using; you might want to look into what you'll be importing that into or if there even is an importer for what you're using. Have you prepared the JU crowd for the migration? Those guys, from what I recall, can be a bit grumpy when it comes to major changes. :LOL:

13. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    Yes, I planted this seed years ago. One person is annoyed about the arcade but the reality is the site has much less traffic than when you would frequent the site. Most of the members are on board with the upgrade.

As for the "temptations" to install/create add-ons, I really will be able to resist, I keep myself so busy between what I do for VB and my growing YouTube channel I don't have time for playing with add-ons, I really don't. I do hope once 2.1 is out I'll take a whack at making some add-ons, sure, but it will be nothing like the pace I did for VB 3.x. Nor would I ever want as many add-ons as I once had. It will take me days to uninstall them all.

Yes the Album will likely need the XF Image Gallery add-on in addition to the regular XF forum. I've done plenty of album imports before but that was to XF 1.x. This will be first time for XF 2.x.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  14. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,222
    Unless they've updated it the past few days, if you want to go to XF 2.1 first import to 2.0 then upgrade to 2.1 (completely painless and fast). There were "like" import bugs last I checked in 2.1 (I guess I oughta check the changelog since I'm doing another on Thursday, lol).

15. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+55
    One critical bug but I proposed them a fix and they have fixed it their own way, same result.
    3.5M posts would take several hours to complete so I suggest a custom import if you want it faster.

I migrate one of my large vB forums to XF 2.1 beta 2, and it's been running fine. The standard importer needs 1.5 hour for 2M posts in my case, results may vary.

16. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    Thanks for the heads up... there is really no rush... going to attempt the upgrade on a slow day, if it works it works, if not we'll revert back to VB and try, try again as Mickey says.

17. we_are_borg

+2,100
    Do you all ready have access to XF2.1 if so why not test it out on a test install. This way you’ll get lots of info how it works with import and what to watch out for when doing it on live install.

18. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    Lazyness mostly. Lack of time during the week, #2.

19. we_are_borg

+2,100
    Guilty myself lack of time. But you know how important this is to do.

20. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    I'll have a backup... but you know... I like to live dangerously. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.