Using FB ratings for XF reactions... Legal?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by PoetJC, Apr 23, 2019.

1. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    I wonder if there might be any potential copyright issues?
    Thoughts please. Thanks!

J.

reactions-preview.gif

2. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,033
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+203
    I'm not see where it says it is illegal to use or not allowed to use publicly available smillies or emoji's just because FB uses them. They list Do's and Don't usage for their site which are not copywrite claims of usage.
    They also ask if you use that collection outside of the FB UI you use the full collection.
    PoetJC I don't see any legal reason why I shouldn't use those smillies/emojis if I choose to do so. They are publicly available to download or copy and paste.

4. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,033
    Jacquii isn't talking about public or free emoji, she's talking about the reactions designed and used by Facebook.

Says right here.

I doubt they'd care if you're a small site, but I think officially you're not supposed to.

9E3D7B56-6F79-4D91-9AC1-053140D42390.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  5. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+203
    I think you are over reading their suggestion as those reactions are not claimed to have been designed by or have a copywrite on them. Above your Don't this suggest if you do use it out side FB UI they ask you use the full collection.
    upload_2019-4-23_5-57-11.png
    All of those are available in the public domain.

6. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,033
    The downloadable files are all brand assets that are meant to be used in reference to facebook, not as your own private asset pack as reactions on your website.

Facebook definitely designed them and own the copyright. They're not going to use free images in public domain for their reaction system.

7. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,121
    One of the rules is:

Don't animate or fabricate physical objects in the form of Reactions.

8. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+203
    OH? Are you saying they are claiming here a copy write to Reactions?

9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,701
  10. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+203
    Yes I read that but guidelines are not a claim to copy write of reactions of any kind as they are readily available to the public for download and free usage.
    They do not have nor claim to have legal copy write to those reactions they use or to reactions in general. They simply make suggestions and guidelines for usage.

11. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,033
    They're not claiming copyright of all reactions of any kind.

You can use any free or custom graphics for your reactions. Emoji one, or similar, or make your own.

The official facebook ones are available for download for marketing, advertising and facebook related media use, not as free reign for anyone to use for their own reaction system that has nothing to do with facebook.

12. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,701
    The seem to consider the set of emoijs as part of Facebook branding. But its not trademarked.

13. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,033
    I'd bet that it's safe to say that it's not permissable to use any native and custom facebook graphics such as their custom emoji or animated reactions on your own site without permission as they will have all been designed in house and therefore be subject to copyright.

14. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,121
    You do not have to claim copyright its given on creation of the image. Also while they say you can use it but you need to follow the rules. With that if you want to expand the images Facebook also says that their images need to be grouped together.

15. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+121
    I remember a plug in for an old version of vB that had something similar to "likes" and it was before FB existed. As for those images, better to use your own.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.