Users Posting or not..

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by Ashley S, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Ashley S

Ashley S Adherent

+125
    What do you prefer on your forum?
    Members/Users being active without posting or posting?

I know a far few forum owners and they've told me they don't.
    Me personally like to see Members/Users active either posting or not.. I myself like to browse forums without posting sometimes.

2. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+78
    I sometimes try to hold off on posting to forums too much, as if the activity is too low, then I can easily flood it. Even big boards don't get my full posting power.

Flooding a forum overloads regulars to a certain extent, as they have a lot of catch up on and might just opt to skip a bunch of topics.

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,186
    These days I'm grateful if members post something of substance. I'll always try and reply to keep the thread going.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  4. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,004
    Both are necessary. We need members posting to provide new content, but if no one is reading, posts aren't providing value to the community.

5. Questlot

Questlot Neophyte

+3
    Once a user find interest in a topic they will certainly post, but most time they just prefer to read the post only.

Like in my own case, some user visit my forum and post once, other users would add link to their post, which I tolerate sometimes if it's not spam.

6. Ashley S

Ashley S Adherent

+125
    I agree with you.

7. Curator

Curator Neophyte

+1
    I've been running forums since 2003. Before that, I was a moderator on an active board once hosted at bbs.artbell.com (he is now deceased).
    My personal opinion is having a forum with a large (but non-posting) membership is like flaunting fake million dollar bills; They're useless, so I don't keep them around after a 60-day period.

You don't generally need to register to read forums.

8. Curator

Curator Neophyte

+1
    In today's age (geez, I'm an old-timer!) people's attention span is about the same as a toddler on caffeine.
    But I'd rather have forty active posting members who will engage with great conversations than a hundred or more that barely say more than ten words per post.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.