Upgrading TAZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
I agree about the post separation, but it only requires a template edit. Rather simple fix.

That's true. However, I'm constantly informed that stuff that "only requires a template edit" in vBulletin, means the entire product is a complete failure. So maybe we should be applying consistent standards here.

Also, although it's only a simple fix, I've yet to see a site running XF that's actually done it. So it remains an issue.

Forum software in general, urgently needs to stop trying to make every page look like Facebook. Contrary to what now seems to be accepted belief, web users can generally cope with sites that don't look like Facebook.

jadmperry

Fan
XenForo is not the only option, much as some like to pretend otherwise.

Not everyone gets on with it, as has now been pointed out by quite a few people. For me personally, the endless sliding, swooshing popups, along with the hugely indistinct post and sig dividers, genuinely give me a headache and I can't use such sites for very long.

No one has said that XF is the only option. If you read what I wrote, I only stated that instead of the reason for people choosing XF is not exclusively, or even substantially, based on them "jumping on the bandwagon." This reason is what you suggested as the reason for people choosing XF as their platform of choice. I wrote that perhaps the reason people choose XF is because they think it meets their needs. Sorry that this does not meet your wishes/desires/preferences. However, people generally do not check with you about their choices in software choices (or choice of products generally). I feel for your disappointment about this.

Many of the custom styles (like the one currently used on AdminExtra) are just busy and cluttered and add to the "headache" issues. (Though the immediately preceding AdminExtra style was very good, I have no idea why it was ditched but I guess it doesn't matter now).

Thanks for your input. I am sure Howard will take this into account. I am also sorry that you get a headache viewing XF sites. Maybe take some Tylenol? Other than that, or should you decide not to participate here anymore, I guess all I can say is that you will be missed here. Or, if you do decide to overcome the pain and "headaches", that nothing will change. Overall, can't see that it matters much.

We'll have to see what transpires. I almost wish I had a XF demo up so I could all that headache-inducing teenage nonsense out of it.

Yes, thanks for the (potentially) parting jab. "Headache-inducing teenage nonsense" is certainly a substantive explanation of your issues with XF platform and sites that use it. Thankfully, it is not "morally bankrupt" or "obscene."

GTB

Tazmanian
I don't understand the obsession with XF.

Me neither.

But am looking forward to seeing how this forum looks on XF, vB3 does look old here now, and I dislike the post editor. The new change is needed I think.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
It seems I visit a lot of forums owned by TAZ members. I know it goes without saying, but it's rather strange at this point.

I'm not a fan of XF myself. As I've said, I've been with Team IPS since I departed from vB many moons ago. Of course IP.Board 3 and now 4 has left me in a sour mood.

On an off-topic note, it's becoming increasingly difficult to separate posts made by Mark and GTB. My eyes seem to not notice the... Shrek? avatar.

Edit: Google says "disney characters," still not sure but I see Aladdin. I see a lion so Lion King?

GTB

Tazmanian
That's true. However, I'm constantly informed that stuff that "only requires a template edit" in vBulletin, means the entire product is a complete failure. So maybe we should be applying consistent standards here.

Also, although it's only a simple fix, I've yet to see a site running XF that's actually done it. So it remains an issue.

Forum software in general, urgently needs to stop trying to make every page look like Facebook. Contrary to what now seems to be accepted belief, web users can generally cope with sites that don't look like Facebook.

What do you mean by post divider, you mean there being no GAP (visible space) between each post. I prefer it that way myself, no space.

GTB

Tazmanian
On an off-topic note, it's becoming increasingly difficult to separate posts made by Mark and GTB. My eyes seem to not notice the... Shrek? avatar.

Not sure what you mean by that?

Mark.B

Tazmanian
What do you mean by post divider, you mean there being no GAP (visible space) between each post. I prefer it that way myself, no space.

On this site there's a big blue bar on the top of each post, which acts as a visual divider as you scan downwards.

XenForo doesn't have this, and discerning which post is which is difficult. Made even worse by also not being able to easily tell where someone's sig starts.

As Paul said, they also have the post date in the wrong place and in a tiny font.

GTB

Tazmanian
I won't argue over the DATE thing, must admit I've been left scratching my head "where the hell" the post date and time is displayed in XF trying to find it.

GTB

Tazmanian
On this site there's a big blue bar on the top of each post, which acts as a visual divider as you scan downwards.

Right, get what you mean, but even on my phpBB 3.1 forum the only difference between posts - is the change in background colour used being alternate. To be honest, know what you mean now looking at posts on Admin Extra to see, but can't say that confuses me at all between posts.

Bitnull

Fan

XenForo doesn't have this, and discerning which post is which is difficult. Made even worse by also not being able to easily tell where someone's sig starts.

As Paul said, they also have the post date in the wrong place and in a tiny font.
I'll see what can be done about the Blue bar and the time stamps, won't be today... there's more important things to be doing.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
Right, get what you mean, but even on my phpBB 3.1 forum the only difference between posts - is the change in background colour used being alternate. To be honest, know what you mean now looking at posts on Admin Extra to see, but can't say that confuses me at all between posts.

It bothers some people and not others.
vB5 is the same, I add post dividers and sig dividers in whenever I am asked to customise a vB5 site. It's always popular.

It's all because everyone's trying to imitate Facebook and produce designs that are "cool looking", but not necessarily terribly functional.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
It's all because everyone's trying to imitate Facebook and produce designs that are "cool looking", but not necessarily terribly functional.

Popular opinion seems to be that vB5 has been terribly successful at that, especially the last part.

:excited:

CiullaWins

Participant
Are there any thoughts in the future of upgrading the forum software or moving over to something else. I am just finding that this version of VB seems rather outdated in today's times and the way forum software is now progressing. I find that I keep looking for features that are not here so an updated forum would be awesome :worship:
I really like XenForo, it is such a clean forum software and I really enjoy using it! So Kudos to TAZ for the switch over!

Andrew B.

Fan
Wow, you really did a good job of keeping the basic look of TAZ. When I got here there was no question where I was. The change in typeface is the only jarring thing for me.

What happened to quoting, though. Over in the XF support forum they no longer have the old clunky XF method of quoting. But the old method is here. Is that a pre-release over there. If so, I hope it will be here soon.

BTW, searching posts by member name is not working for me.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Just click on "reply" Andrew. We're still running updates in the background and addressing bugs. No transition is ever flawless. We'll be enabling the multi-quote (Quote+) option once everything is settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.