Upgrading TAZ

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by DirtRider, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirtRider

DirtRider bah humbug

+531
    Are there any thoughts in the future of upgrading the forum software or moving over to something else. I am just finding that this version of VB seems rather outdated in today's times and the way forum software is now progressing. I find that I keep looking for features that are not here so an updated forum would be awesome :worship:

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
  3. DirtRider

DirtRider bah humbug

+531
    Ah great idea to move away from VB as it sure is dead in the water right now, thanks for the feedback

4. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    Phew, that's good to hear

After using IBP and XF for the last year, coming to a VBulletin board is like taking a step back in time, even the 4.x/5.x versions feel old compared to XF/IPB, lol

5. meetdilip

meetdilip Tazmanian Master

+733
    Which software do you prefer ?

6. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Unleash The Beast....

+412
    I personally already said I hope they go IPB simply because I'd love to see what TAZ could do with Ip content and Xenforo's skins(most) kind of bother me lol...though i did get use to Adex and a couple of other sites as the skins are actually good.

But it looks like they shall be going Xenforo likely.

7. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Sounds like you might be preparing to do it to me?

Don't have a problem with TAZ on vB3, but guess XF might be the way to go seeing as all other admin forums run it now. Taz is a bit like a fish out of water in that respect. Wouldn't like to see the forum move to IPB, not a fan.

But, if you move this forum over to using XenForo, What you going to do with Admin Extra - seems pointless running both and not merging them, if both are on XF.

8. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458
    I think of it as being old school...

Personally I like the idea of keeping Adex and TAZ separate -- and on different software with different staff.

9. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,517
    Preparing to do it is a bit of an overstatement - as I said we are currently modifying TAZ to run on PHP 5.4 so that it's compatible with the new server. I had the option to convert TAZ to XenForo instead but I prefer to wait for XenForo to mature a bit more - perhaps XF 2.0. I know other busier, bigger sites have already converted, some quite a while ago but those sites rely heavily on custom coding and I really don't want to go down that road again.

If/when TAZ is converted to XenForo, there will be no merger with Admin Extra. They are two separate communities.

TAZ should be a lot faster and more reliable on the new server. Honestly, it's our diverse membership and plentiful content and resources that makes TAZ TAZ, not the software it runs on.

10. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Participant

+17
    Why bother? I see VB3 works just fine for the topic. Any modern features do we miss? Facebook/twitter connection? Youtube support? Do forum admins really use them?

11. The Sandman

+5,517
    vB3 is obsolete and unsupported. It won't remain a viable option for much longer. IMO.

12. Manberlin

Manberlin Not Manbearpig

+74

Surprised we haven't converted to XF yet. There were talks of converting back when I was on staff here many moons ago.

At the same time though I'm kind of glad to see TAZ is still on the same software, kind of nostalgic. But you're right, it really is the community here that makes TAZ "TAZ", not the software it's running.

13. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    Indeed and given the lack of any updates to VB4 these days and VB5 being in the sorry state it is, there's no real upgrade path for VB users, in my opinion.

It'll be exciting to see what's in store for TAZ in the future.

14. Mark.B

Mark.B Tazmanian

+514
    Endless sites all rushing to XenForo is getting boring.

A resources mod. A showcase mod. A "new posts in navbar" mod. All very nice in themselves but if every forum in the niche ends up all doing exactly the same thing, it's all a bit tedious. At least a decade ago, when everyone was rushing to vB3, people were mostly doing different things with it, not all copying each other.

Better to do something a bit different and do Invision, possibly when their much-vaunted version 4 comes out. Or be really daring and do Burning Board 4 :)

Anything but yet another XenForo clone site....

15. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Funny, I was thinking same thing before when reading Adams reply about him getting excited. At first when sites moved to XenForo it was refreshing to see and was great for those boards that jumped ship first, got them a lot of attention. But now it's like every forum is moving to it and means it's no longer become something you see the same way as you did with sites using XenForo at first. Mark has a point in saying that, was thinking same thing. That TAZ moving to XenForo now "much later on" when loads of other sites already have done it isn't really going to benefit TAZ that much as being "something new", just another XF site really.

If anything, because most have moved from vB to XF. TAZ now has it's uniqueness in using vB3 over all the XF converted admin niche forums out there.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  16. The Sandman

+5,517
    Which is it? :confused:

17. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Well it's a fish out of water because all others use XenForo, so yeah in that sense follow the crowd to be the same as them, I'm not bothered what you do, happy using either vB3 or XF here. But as I said later on last, it won't make TAZ look unique anymore because too many use XF now, plus I never said in my last post "stick with vB".

I don't see Admin Extra doing that well using it, not even after having a redirect leading to their from here and trying to promote people going posting their from here with your Prem Usergroup thread.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  18. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    VB is a half-dead horse, XF is a foal.
    Hard, almost impossible to cure VB's sickness, XF has a bright future.

19. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Unleash The Beast....

+412
    I share the same sentiments as Mark....I love TAZ(and adex) and I am sure Howard will do great with it on Xenforo but a lot of other sites I see rushing towards Xenforo because it is the "In thing" now and it seems a lot of these sites I frequent sort of just feel...the same.

Regardless of the niche be it an admin forum, a kpop forum, a General chat, a gaming forum etc etc i always feel like all xenforo site's essentially share that same look and feel and there really is nothing unique about them. I know people say the software isn't what defines a community(which is mostly true as i know one forum that is using a largely archaic Phpbb 2 forum now in 2014) but at the same time software does play a big role in the visual aspects of a site...If it is too confusing or too LOUD people aren't going to enjoy it.

And within the admin niche nearly EVERY admin site i frequent(aside from this one and one other) are all on Xenforo and it feels like a bit like "ME TOO" as visually they are the same exact site.

As GTB said, the fact that TAZ Is still on VB3 despite many others flocking the Xenforo bandwagon does at least give it a bit of uniqueness within its identity but i'd love to see TAZ do something daring like Mark said and Go IPS(not because I'm a fan boy lol :p ) or even burning board simply because I'd hate for yet another site to become the same as others!

Either way, I'm excited for the future(I realized i have been frequenting here a WHOLE LOT MORE THAN USUAL)

20. Mark.B

Mark.B Tazmanian

+514
    So what? If you actually read my post, you'll notice I made suggestions that did not involve vBulletin.

Not everyone thinks XF is the answer to everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.