Upgrading TAZ to XF 2.1

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by The Sandman, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,833
    Multiple add-ons have been removed from TAZ (I uninstalled about 65 total so far). Some that were not being used or ones that had no 2.x alternatives. We're still on XF1.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,062
    Thanks God Russ for that!

3. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+252
    Interesting... hadn't actually noticed anything missing!

4. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,035
    Yeah, the nav menu looks a bit skinnier. What's missing though I have no idea. I only ever click on 'New Posts', even though there's over a 100 'new notifications' for the other tabs.

5. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,833
    Blogs and Post Ratings links, blogs have been converted to threads and post ratings was.... rather pointless to have in the main nav. XF2 nav will be re-worked.

6. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,035
    Umm, yeah, so, as your local forum upgrade checker who cares way more about his job than he should, can you please confirm that you're also upgrading or already running a reasonably modern and supported PHP version?

Ideally 7.3.x or above?

That would be be greaaaaat.

I have severe concerns about this after recently learning that a certain portion of your userbase don't even own a smartphone. I'm concerned that this resistance to keep up with the times may be systemic among the staff on this site and we may even regress to having to hand write posts to eachother and pin them up on communal noticeboards somewhere to make sure the community doesn't die out.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

7. Xon

Xon Adherent

+447
    Culling add-ons is a great thing.

I know the site still uses a ton of mine, which all should have XF2 versions

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  8. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    Bring back the 90s. Add <blink> and animated .gifs to everything.

9. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    TH has a marvelous Giphy add on :D

J.

10. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,228
    The fact that 65(!) have been killed so far without much notice means that after the site upgrade to XF2 the ability for some TAZ staff to install add-ons all 'willy nilly' should be greatly curtailed! :geek:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  11. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,833
    Another 50 or so add-ons will be uninstalled right before the upgrade with no intention of bringing them back.

Also just a heads up for the style... Not a huge change from the current. Similar setup but with my own touches that I'm sure everyone will love :deadhorse:

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  12. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    :ROFLMAO: Now why does that sound like a threat? lol

13. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,062
    :eek:
    Please hide it from The Sandman, we don't want him to have a heart attack.

14. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,228
    Maybe have a little .htaccess rule in place so if he tries logging into the production copy of the ACP he gets rerouted to a test XF install instead with the URL masked. "Sure, sure, you can install that, go right ahead, great idea!" :whistle:

15. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,121
    You know The Sandman is going to install many add-ons again he is addicted to installing add-ons.

btw did you uninstall the bookmark add-on?

16. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,062
    XF2 has it now in the core, probably that's the reason of its disappearance.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  17. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,035
    My phone has gone quiet now that Pushover is gone. I have to get notifications via desktop like a neanderthol with a feature phone ;)

18. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+252
    Pushover was available here? I didn't know. Would have liked to use that here.

19. Xon

Xon Adherent

+447
    My bookmarks add-on had an upgrade path to XF2.1, but uninstalling it deletes the data :(

20. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+250
    I haven't noticed any difference either since the removals of those mods....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.