Upgrading/Migrating: What Specifically is Wrong with vBulletin 5?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Pigoo, May 30, 2019.

1. Pigoo

Pigoo Enthusiast

+20
    I'm considering migrating from vBulletin 4.2.5 Suite to something more modern (better security, more mobile friendly, better SEO characteristics, responsive design, etc.)...and would like to retain as many of the built-in features of vB4 Suite (CMS, Blog, RSS, reputation system, etc.).

I know there have been lots & lots written on this subject...and I've read thru many many threads & articles via search engine results...and I'm still sort of confused what platform to upgrade/migrate to.

* Xenforo seems to be well liked...but from what I'm reading...when Xenforo 2.1 is purchased...it's basically just the forum software (no blog, no CMS, etc.).
    * Xenforo is supposed to be very plug-in friendly...plug-ins cost extra...and unless I'm not finding the correct Xenforo plugin sites...I'm not seeing a lot of plugins for Xenforo 2.1 (blog, CMS, newletter, reputation system, etc.). Basically plugins that would replicate many of the built-in features of vBulletin 4.2.5 suite....that might be lost migrating to Xenforo.

I'm seeing lots & lots of negative comments about vBulletin 5 ("vB5 sucks", "vB5 stinks", "vB5 is crap", "don't use vB5"...etc.). What I'm not seeing much of is WHY is vBulletin 5 bad.

It would seem that if someone had no additional facts...upgrading from vB4 to vB5 would be the obvious & logical thing to do (similar built-in feature set, less of a learning curve, etc.).

Given the information above...two questions:

1. Can anyone comment on why vBulletin 5 is bad (specifically)?
    2. If my goal is to retain as many built-in features of vBulletin suite 4.2.5 as possible...and upgrade/migrate to a more modern platform...what forum software makes the most sense to upgrade or migrate to?

Thanks very much.:)

2. Pigoo

Pigoo Enthusiast

+20
    p.s. Yes...I know there are vBulletin 4.2.5 zealots out there (which I understand...I'm running vB 4.2.5 too):)...who will say "if it ain't broke don't fix it".;)...but we all know vB 4.2.5 is getting "long in the tooth":

- No further development.
    - Future security updates will be few & far between (if any).
    - Not compatible with newer versions of PHP (and this won't get any better as newer versions of PHP are released).
    - etc.

3. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,177
    I'd look into Invision Community.

It has everything you need & more via 1st party plugins.

invisioncommunity.com

4. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+991
    I think..... There are some people who truly deserve vB 5. So please proceed and let us know how you like it.

5. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,061
    Well, in short:

1. Internet Brands isn't supporting vBulletin 5 that well, and updates are fairly few and far between. It's also apparently poorly coded, a bit of a resource hog, has an awkward pricing setup and (perhaps most importantly of all) barely has any community support. This means getting help with issues, or add ons/styles to install on your vBulletin 5 forum is significantly more difficult than it would be if you were using IPB or XenForo.

2. Probably IPB. XenForo is a great piece of software, but it's very much a basic forum script first and foremost, and doesn't have many of the extras vBulletin 4 included with its suite. Meanwhile, IPB has official solutions for things like a CMS/portal, blogs, social groups, etc, so it'll be better for support and future compatitibility reasons to go with said software if you made use of their vBulletin 4 equivalents.

6. Pigoo

Pigoo Enthusiast

+20
    Awesome...thanks very much for all the specifics regarding vB5, Xenforo, and IPB...these are the sort of specific details that really help with making an informed decision.:)

Great to hear you kind of confirm that Xenforo is "basic forum script". My main concern is...if I migrate from vB 4.2.5 suite to Xenforo...I wouldn't want to feel like I migrated from a fairly feature rich environment (vB 4.2.5 suite)...to something that feels stripped down & basic (in comparision).

I would totally be ok migrating to Xenforo if I knew all of the add-on or plugin products I wanted or needed were available right now (even if they costed extra $$$)...either from Xenforo directly or from 3rd party developers. I'm sure as time marches on...more Xenforo plugins/addon's will become available. Problem is...timelines for promised products can many times change...and many times we may be talking years.

As far as IPB...sounds like your saying migrating to IPB would be a better choice than vB5...and IPB is more capable (today)...of duplicating many/most of the features in vB 4.2.5 (either already built into IPB...or via official solutions).

Thanks again for all the help.:)

7. Pigoo

Pigoo Enthusiast

+20
    I should have also asked. If vB5 could generally be considered:

- not as well written (coded)
    - maybe a bit of a resource hog
    - not as well supported by the developers
    - not as much of a support community (other vB5 users)

* How do Xenforo & IPB compare in these parameters to vB5?
    * How do Xenforo & IPB compare to each other in terms of these parameters?
    * And since I'm much more experienced with vB4. For overall comparision...how does vB4 compare to Xenforo & IPB (speed, developer support, resources, community support, etc.)?

Thanks

8. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+229
    You should use VB5, its the world's leading forum software and you cant go wrong with the industry leader.
    ;)

9. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+706
    I invite you to check out Invision Community, the community solution of IPS which has a history that goes as long as Vbulletin. You'll find Invision Community to be a community solution with first-party apps like Pages and Blogs. This is on top of Forums, Gallery, Downloads, and Commerce. Calendar and Social Clubs are included in every license for free.

For user experiences that are critical, you probably want to use first-party apps. This gives you the reassurance of official company support, ongoing maintenance and security fixed, and supported migration in the official converter

Here's a blog post I wrote for Vbulletin admins who migrated to Invision Community, which might help you:

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/...g-from-vbulletin-to-invision-community-r1131/

You would be moving to Invision Community at a good time. It's late in the development lifecycle and currently 4.4, which means you'll be getting a very mature and secure platform. It also means you'll be able to benefit from all of the new features already released.

Hope this info helps and be sure to say hi on the Invision forums!

10. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+129
    Someone told me it has over a hundred queries on some pages, crippling the performance so badly than even a snail would laugh. That was a number of years ago though.

11. Craigles700

Craigles700 Enthusiast

+70
    I didn't see it mentioned so here goes. Presently you are running vB4 with add-ons/mods. None of those will work on vB5 if you upgrade.

12. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,098
    Yes and your theme/style would also not work 100%.

13. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,206
    I dont think the 3rd one is true - the developers (and vB support) support it.
    The problem is thats about it - there is very little community support (and very few add-ons).

The basic design of vB5 is (IMO) not great, which results in it being a "resource hog".
    Over time, the dev team have vastly improved its performance, but its never going to be great, because of its basic design.
    I dont know if its still true, but also had very heavy reliance on Javascript - which also slowed it down (and caused its own issues).

Similarly, the CSS was a nightmare, making it overly difficult to customize the look of it.
    To be fair, I havent really used it in over a year now, so things could have improved, but its never going to perform as well as vB4 (or vB3).

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  14. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Participant

+15
    Sticking to vBulletin 4.2.5 can be tough in the future, but these two are not my concerns.
    Actually old scripts are quite safe, because no one would take the time to examine them. Even there is a new security breach, usually it's only one or two lines code changes.

Making it work with new PHP version shouldn't be too hard, I was on 4.2.3 and wasn't aware that 4.2.5 works with php 7.1, I thought 4.2.3 -> 4.2.5 was only minor changes, I didn't upgrade and tried to change the code, it took me less than a day. Considering this change is from php 5.6 to php 7.1 quite a big leap.

What I want the most is a very good mobile style.

15. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+129
    vB powers too many sites for troublemakers to just overlook it like that.

16. Pigoo

Pigoo Enthusiast

+20
    In terms of individual member posting/reputation based statistics...I see that Xenforo has a:

- "Messages" Statistic
    - "Trophy Points" Statistic
    - "Positive Ratings" Statistic

vBulletin 4 does not have a "Trophy Points" statistic. But if someone with a vBulletin 4 website was migrating to Xenforo...does anyone know:

- If the total Post Count statistic in vB4 can be migrated to Xenforo's "Messages" statistic?
    - If the "Reputation" statistic in vB4 can be migrated to Xenforo's "Positive Ratings" statistic?

Thanks much.

17. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Participant

+15
    UI design of VB 5 is terrible, I checked out the mobile version last month, I was shocked to see a huge "Subscribe" button in the middle of the screen, it uses a whole line. Along with other trivial elements, occupy all visible screen space. I can't read a single line of the post content without scrolling down.

I can't think of a worse design. The only possible explanation is "no one cares about it any more, either employees or customers.

VB can still get back to the top of the competition with little work - announce continued development of vB4, make a really good mobile style. But it's not going to happen, because no one cares.

18. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,662
    Yes.
    Yes. XenForo now also has negative ratings (if you set it up that way)

19. Meister

Meister Neophyte

+0
    My recommendation is to stay with vb 4.2.5. For me it runs under PHP 7.4 Alpha 2.

In terms of security, they are looking for a security expert. You are welcome to contact me.

greetings

20. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,440
    Might be quicker if you ask what is right with vBulletin 5

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.