Upgrading IPS

Discussion in 'IPS' started by ibaker, May 5, 2018.

1. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+115
    Having just migrated my site over from XF to IPS I am about to customise it's look however I have a question about customisations and when upgrading.

In XF I always customised the templates both html and css and when I upgraded XF would advise which templates had customisations in them for me to manually change. I was wondering if I go ahead and change some of of the IPS templates, would I be notified when upgrading or does it just over ride any changes that I have made?

Thanks for your help

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,536
    Be sure to document any/all changes you make to your default templates. The so-called template update system that IPS has is sorely lacking when compared to XenForo. Generally I just start over with a default style (even though mine is from Ehren I wait until it's updated to the latest IPS version) and then re-apply any custom modifications I have made.
    IPS could do a LOT more when it comes to their template handling for customizations, as XenForo so clearly shows.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+115
    Thanks TP, I always comment my custom changes so I will just have to do a search for all the comments prior to upgrade

4. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+435
    Any changes to templates you make won't be overridden in updates, and it'll keep track of custom templates (yellow C), and modified templates (red M). Then you can filter the templates to check which ones are custom/modified, note those down or simply leave them there while filtered.

Then use this tool on their site to compare the templates you've modified against the latest version or the one you're upgrading to: https://invisioncommunity.com/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=plugins&do=diff

It's definitely not as user-friendly as XenForo, but it works out alright. I also tend to recommend using CSS whenever possible, it keeps upgrades much easier (a lot of people seem to underestimate how much you can change with CSS alone, if we're talking design/aesthetics).

To reiterate, you can upgrade and your templates won't be overridden. Then simply compare versions and modify as needed.

5. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+115
    Thanks Tecca

6. Tracy Perry

+3,536
    Without naming names, this is what one prolific style creator said about theme/style/IPS upgrades

Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 3.49.18 AM.png

and then a little later in the discussion this was asked/answered

Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 3.47.37 AM.png

So I pretty much trust the style developer to know what they are talking about (they'e been doing IPS related styles for a while)... and if he indicates that the "upload new version" is buggy, I have to believe him.. They really need to fix it as that should take care of any merges that are necessary. I know the one time I tried the "upload new version" option, I ended up having to go back and start over from scratch - which is what I do each time now.

7. steve00

steve00 IPB Skinner

+125
    As for the 'upload new version' cannot say have had any issues with it myself and I create themes.

Each theme author probably has their own way of making the changes with upgrades ... the main issue are the templates (css not so bad as long as added your changes in custom.css) .. if ips change the templates and you have made changes to them yourself then yes you 'revert' the template and re-add your changes (I suppose if you have a lot of template changes then it can be a pain)

8. Tracy Perry

+3,536
    And that's the issue... some do have many.
    It's one of the reasons I keep my template changes to a minimum personally. It is a PITA to have to constantly reset all the base settings though.
    The issue I had with the upload new version was it didn't actually update some of the "old" templates, even though they HAD been changed in the newer version of the style - which was not a style issue, but an actual IPS issue.

9. Matt M

Matt M Developer

+238
    We manage hundreds of clients ourselves (such as Lego, Sega, etc) and we use the upload new version feature with most upgrades and can't say we've had a similar experience.

Ehren has contacted us with a few things that need looking at, but these are fairly niche things due to complex parent/child relationships that most people wouldn't hit.

10. steve00

steve00 IPB Skinner

+125
    :morganna: Nice bit of name dropping :tup: :LOL:

11. Matt M

Matt M Developer

+238
    ai.imgur.com_jfRXokH.gif

12. Tracy Perry

+3,536
    And that's one of the issues I have ran into. I prefer running my "custom" style as a child style of the default and only make whatever changes I need in there an let the "updates" occur to the parent and filter down. That way I don't have to keep uploading my logo's, etc after each update. IPS was the first script (paid) that I've had to do that on.

13. steve00

steve00 IPB Skinner

+125
    Never had issue regards uploading logo's after each upgrade ... unless you are doing it differently than the easy way (click 'edit' button on far right of theme name and clicking the Logo Tab)

14. Tracy Perry

+3,536
    So, you are saying that when you upgrade your custom style (not the default IPS one) that it maintains your logo even though it's a new install?
    Because I sure have to upload it each time (realize, I am NOT doing a style upgrade since I have had issues in the past with it and the developer of the styles does not recommend using it)...

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 9.10.38 AM.png

If it worked cleanly, what I would do is have a child style of the paid one with my customized CSS and any template mods in it. When a new version came out of the style, I'd simply update the parent style, those changes would then replicate down into my child style (allowing me to to merge any customizations I have done) and not touch the customized CSS. I've exported my current style out and then imported it back in as a child style of my paid one. Next update that comes out I'll see if it will allow me to "update" the master custom style and then pass those changes down to my customized version of it. Last time I tried this I did have issues.

Suffice to say... I've worked with both XF and IPS for a while and IPS still is behind the curve on their merge (or what they refer to as upgrade) system for the styles.

15. steve00

steve00 IPB Skinner

+125
    I never use child themes as find it easier that way (creating child themes went out with 2.x.x or 3.x.x I think ... at least for me it does and now find it easier to just create a new theme)

As stated I have upgraded themes from 4.1.x (and before in some cases) all way to 4.3.1 and never had issue with logo's (unless there has been a major change in way logo's are handled between the major versions ... e.g. 4.1.x to 4.2.x and 4.2.x to 4.3.x)

Admitted changes to the header area can affect the layout but that is resolved by changing css and does not mean have to upload logo again

16. Tracy Perry

+3,536
    If the upgrade works as it should then it is fine... the issue is that it's a dainty little thing that sometimes has issues apparently with the complexity of some styles that also include additional features rolled into them.
    To eliminate the issue of "doing the upgrade then having it borked" it's generally quicker to simply start it over from scratch. That's why MOST of my color related changes are done via the CSS.
    As soon as your "upgrade" of a style gets borked, you will have to upload the logo again.

17. steve00

steve00 IPB Skinner

+125
    Nope, just revert template(s) ... not css and you are back with default ips design for you to make your changes again ... but with your logo still intact

example

redbase1.jpg
    Have upgraded that from 4.2.x to 4.3.1 without having to upload any images again (including logo)

18. Tracy Perry

+3,536
    I guess you really don't appreciate the difference in it unless you've had a lengthy exposure to XenForo. Having to "revert the templates and then add your customizations back"is SO way outside of what you have to do in XF. Only occasionally will you get a template that the merge function does not work on and you have to revert and then re-edit.

19. Morrigan

Morrigan I put the Cute in Exe"cute".

+42
    As an IPS design person (one of those official ones) here are some pointers I can give anyone that wants to design/make changes on IPS themes. It's the same thing I tell the people that I get to convert:
    • Before you start changing colors in the CSS use the edit theme options to change what is available there and then see what you want to change. There is some significant changes that can be made to your site without even editing the CSS.
    • Never edit a CSS file that is not "custom.css" if you do then any major CSS updates that fix bugs or are added for new features will likely break your site upon upgrade.
    • When editing templates do so sparingly. Try to make changes with your CSS first before making changes to the template itself as they won't upgrade and then you may break your site.
    • You can revert every template (including custom.css) to it's original state by clicking "revert" in the top right of the template screen.
    • You can view the original compared to your current by clicking on the gear in the top right and clicking "Show Default".
    • ID's are your friend.
    • Selectors are your friend.
    IPS will not overwrite your templates during an upgrade however theme changes/template logic changes may cause out of date/broken templates. You never actually have to revert these. You need to look at the changes that were made and adjust accordingly. The compare is really good (and I do it every day) to be sure that I'm updating customized templates accordingly.

I personally, on my live site, upgrade to beta versions regularly and I think I can count on 1 hand the number of times my theme has ever broken upon upgrade that I even needed to look at it after upgrade since 4.0 and one of those times it wasn't an IPS issue but a server database issue.

20. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+115
    Thanks Morrigan and that is good advice and would be good if I could get the darn custom.css to work.

I added
    Code:
    #ipsLayout_header header {
        background-image: url("https://www.recreationalflying.com/custom/header_image.jpg");
        background-repeat: no-repeat;
        background-size: 100%;
    }
    To the custom.css in the default template and nothing changes. I used Firefox inspect element and added the lines in live and it worked so this whole template edit has hot me beat

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.