Upgrading from vB 3.8.9 Questions

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Kestryll, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Kestryll

Kestryll Neophyte

+0
    I have a large vbulletin 3.8.x forum (Threads: 1,366,377, Posts: 20,663,439, Members: 302,724) and I'm starting to have server issues.

I'm looking at upgrading the software and I'm kind of torn between Xenforo and vB5. I've got a few smaller forums running SMF but I've heard it's not as good as the others for larger forums. I've never used Invision so I'm not sure how viable it would be.

Whatever software I go with I have a few concerns.

I have a LOT of custom sub-forums, some set up to be invisible to everyone but a specific usergroup and password protected.
    I've got several unique usergroups with their own permissions.
    I've also got a two tiered paid member usergroup, one annual and one lifetime.

Given the size and history with vB, I've been running it for over a decade, upgrading to vb5 seems like it would be the easiest however I've read a lot about how it's changed and isn't what it used to be.
    Xenforo looks nice and is from the same guys that made vB3 so it's got that going for it but I'm not sure how all my permissions, forums, passwords and such will transfer over.
    On the smaller forums I really like how clean and simple SMF is but there's that recurring suggestion that it's not suited for larger forums.

I'm looking for input on which software would be good from people running a forum of similar size and the viability of each with a larger forum.

Thanks.

2. Kestryll

Kestryll Neophyte

+0
    I forgot to add, I run a simple in-house ad banner rotation in the header that uses the PHP 'random' feature. I passed on vB4 because I found out that it didn't support the random feature in PHP any more.
    Do any of the other still support it?

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,488
    One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty is vB5 will fall flat on its face if you attempt to run a forum of that size on it. The official support forum is about a tenth of the size with virtually no activity and it's painfully slow. In addition it has a high confirmed bug count.

SMF (2.0.15) is blindingly fast by comparison. I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't run a forum of any size. Here's an example that's large and active: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/ The software is also secure and mostly bug free. However the down side is the pace of development is glacial. That said there is a big update which appears to be close to release.

XenForo would be my first choice but the one area I had problems with when I migrated two fairly large forums from vBulletin 4 was the permissions. They really didn't transfer properly and had to be completely redone. I don't know if this is typical but it same issues occurred twice.

4. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+764
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,488
    I agree with Joel R. Invision Community is another possibility that's definitely worth checking out

6. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,256
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  7. HWS

HWS TAZ Member

+140
    Prepare for a lot of work (not only with recreating permissions) and test imports and go XenForo.

And toss your random ad solution and use Ads-Manager instead. You won't regret it!
    But the PHP rand() function should still work at PHP 7 and up.

8. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458
    Mine also

All this can be handled by Xenforo. It will take a little work to get the subforums' permissions correct, but it'll work fine.

9. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+165
    Trust me, you want XenForo. vB5 won't work, it's way too resource heavy, and it has over 3,000 confirmed bugs. XF can easily handle a site of that size.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.