Suggestion Upgrade TAZ

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by R0binHood, Apr 9, 2019.

1. ehd

ehd Aspirant

+27
    Ikonboard.

2. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer

+673
    I'm completely on board with this idea with the caveat that we stop with Invision Community.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,132
    We all know once you go invision community you don’t go back.

4. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Fan

+306
    R.I.P

5. Greg Spinks

Greg Spinks Aspirant

+2
    ForumBB for the win!

6. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+249
    Forums are so 1990, we should be upgrading to wordpress with the original theme and zero add-ons.

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  7. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,055
    "Build your site on the world's leading community software
    vBulletin 5 Connect™"

8. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,223
    In all seriousness...

I was only being a little snarky.

Cumulatively, TAZ has unprecedented knowledge, skill & resources that cannot be matched in the forum world.

TAZ is good on XF with and the cornucopia of addons its using.

But I'd LOVE to see TAZ use Invision Community and it's addons. Robust social features. All the interviews and articles in some well developed Pages. A first party Blog platform. Commerce for upgrades and Advertisement sales. And much more.

It'd be great to see, really, but a huge commitment of resources.

9. cornnfedd

+249
    It would be great if you could switch between IPS and XF by the user anytime.. now that would be interesting running 2 different softwares synced up... hmmm

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    Yeah... you're right.... I remember ProBoards too :p I used to run one on my WebTV using dialup :D

11. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,021
    I can't say I'm not kind of curious to see this too. None of the sites I frequently regularly use IPS, so I've only had very limited real experience with it on their official forum.

The only problem is if you started using many of even the first party add ons I fear you'll get permanently locked into their ecosystem as you'll never be able to find comparable solutions from XF to make the migration back unless you're happy to ditch everything but the core forum posts each time. It's the interesting new first party IPS add ons though that I'm curious to be able to use on a real site.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  12. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,118
    You use the first party add-ons because you’ll need them this goes for XF and IPS the only difference is that IPS has more then XF. If you buy all XF first party add-ons why does it then not concern you. That would be the exact same thing. It would be up to the site owner how to solve this when going to another platform.

13. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,021
    My point is that this is a site for admins. We use and discuss a variety of different types of software.

One of the reasons I visit here is to read about people experience with software I don't use and see what else is out there and see who currently does what the best.

Personally, I would find value in being able to test out other forum options and their first party plugins through a community with members and topics I already interact with on an ongoing basis, rather than mess around for a short period of time on the the support site for some software where I don't know anyone or have anything to say, meaning I won't use it in a meaninful manner.

I may not know I need or want an add on until I played with it, tested it, or seen it used in a certain manner.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  14. cornnfedd

+249
    Like my previous comment it would be great to be able to change software as easy as changing a template... do it!

15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,693
    Are you proposing to finance a bridge & sync between all major forum software and their addons? :D :D :D

16. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,021
    Yes, the top ten most popular solutions please :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann Tazmanian

+44
    You could just stick with the "it works so why bother upgrading" option like the United Kennel Club apparently has... vBulletin 2.3 anyone? (No, I'm not joking).

18. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,021
    That's actually pretty clean looking, even though it's dated.

I forgot about the forum jump feature at the bottom of threads. It's actually quite a neat feature to help you find somewhere new to explore besides what's new, once you get to the end of a thread.

19. Craigles700

Craigles700 Enthusiast

+70
    You should upgrade to vB5 to a test server and see how "bad" it really is, or isnt.

20. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    How about UBB.Classic?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.