Updated Interview with Shawn Hogan (AKA DigitalPoint)

By The Sandman · Jun 4, 2014 ·
  1. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,544
    The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Updated Interview with Shawn Hogan (AKA DigitalPoint)

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
  2. Kyrie

Kyrie Designer & Developer

+146
    I really hope this prison thing is as light-hearted as he seems about it.

3. petertdavis

petertdavis Not a Beginner

+233
    I think his lightheartedness is coming more from the fact that he's almost at the end of a long stressful journey than anything else.

4. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Unleash The Beast....

+414
    Well he and everyone else have been making a joke out of it really xD So I guess it is.

Still, good interview :) He does seem like quite a driven/talented gentleman which I do admire, despite his other less than good actions that landed criminal actions.

5. Digitalpoint

Digitalpoint Brain

+508
    Honestly, it's not a terrible thing really. You would have it worse off living on a military base in the barracks. The camps (where I'm designated) have no fences, no violence, no guard towers, no cells (or locking rooms even), plenty of things to do (baseball, soccer, football, basketball, volleyball, pool, ping pong, foosball, bocceball, handball, etc.)

There's a huge garden (the size of a baseball field) which you can see on the satellite maps...

af.cl.ly_items_3v222N2f3F3r2I0j1519_Image_202014_06_04_20at_201.35.11_20PM.png

If you wanted to, you literally could just walk away. The BALCO guy has a pretty interesting account of his stay at the exact facility/camp where I'm going (in Taft):

http://boingboing.net/2012/10/23/former-inmates-description-o.html

A good part is that. But in a weird way I'm looking forward to going. If I could just go for a month or two to just have a break from life, that would be ideal to me. Of course I say that now... we'll see how I feel when I get there. :)

It is kind of a joke... I mean here's the short version of what happened...

OMG, you stole $32M... Indictment!
    Case passed around between 2 judges and 3 prosecutors for 7 years and they realize I actually *didn't* steal $32M because they finally figured out what happened.
    "So how about this... Plead guilty to 1 count of using a wire that crosses state lines for a total monetary gain of $0, go to camp for a few months and pay a $25k fine so it looks like we won?"

"Fine by me, done."

Look at it this way... my best case scenario had I not taken the plea deal was to fight it for probably another 3-4 years and sink $3-4M more into fighting it in the hope I would be found innocent. Even if you are found not guilty, you are still out a whole lot of money and time. Even at the low end of costs that had not been spent yet to prove innocent, that's $3M.

So if you break it down to what it is at the most fundamental level... Getting paid (by not having to spend it) $600,000/month to go to camp, and you also don't have to worry about being found guilty and being hit with some crazy prison term or restitution amount.

I'm sure there's a whole lot of people who would have taken the $3M to go to camp for 5 months even if all the other stuff wasn't a possibility.

6. 49er

49er Enthusiast

+72
    Some nice facilities there for sure, but do they have any for the older guys .. :daroldi:

Good luck with the internment my friend ..

7. Kyrie

+146
    Are you allowed on the internet? If not, it truly is prison.

8. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,142
    Hopefully this is a joke.
    You don't really feel that way do you?

9. Kyrie

+146
    It was obviously a joke, you silly. :shades:

10. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,142
    <whew> :)

11. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+279
    Its summer and no swimming pool? FAIL!

BTW great interview, I always enjoy reading the Interviews here at TAZ. :)

12. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of Transition ⚧

+5,294
    Nice interview update.
    LOL @ this coming from someone so obviously talented in all things code:

J.

13. CMOBOSS

CMOBOSS All About Da-Cookies.

+97
    So who pays for your stay at the resort?

14. Digitalpoint

Digitalpoint Brain

+508
    You do if you are a US taxpayer. :)

15. CMOBOSS

CMOBOSS All About Da-Cookies.

+97
    Have you ever seen Monkeys picking and trading Bananas? That's Congress. Surely you can see the similarities between the two.

Bah... Tax. :whistle:

Enjoy your Vacation, it really does look like a resort. :tup:

16. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,623
    We do expect a report on the sex, drugs & rock n roll thing when you get back. I find the report by the BALCO guy a little hard to believe, but I have seen weirder things.

17. Digitalpoint

Digitalpoint Brain

+508
    I'm sure there are probably drugs and alcohol... But yeah, I have a hard time believing there are female prison guards as prostitutes. Hah

18. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,544
    They just dress up as guards.

19. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    Conjugal visits?

20. David Lyon

David Lyon Aspirant

+9
    Think Shawn might in for a culture shock having this idea prison is a holiday camp, be it an open one or not.

Wait till they find out he's loaded with cash.

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.