Upcoming Server OS Reinstall

In the next couple of weeks, we are planning a server OS re-install. We are going to be moving to CentOS7 and Centminmod from eva2000 - to bring the server in line with my standard support model.

I'm still working on the details, but I may move the site to one of my own servers prior to the OS re-install, to minimize downtime, and limit it to 2 small periods of file sync between servers, rather than 100% downtime while the OS is installed and the server configured.

Once myself and The Sandman have sorted dates, I'll update this thread with the specifics.

Could you explain this in a bit more detail?
The current server OS wasn't chosen by me, and it's running Debian 7. This is the only Debian server I manage. I have a LOT more experience with CentOS. We can't realistically go to PHP7 either on that version of Debian. We will get PHP7 with this new setup.

KeVo

Enthusiast
Looking forward to seeing this place on the greatness that is Centmin Mod.

Will you be using the stable version or the beta version?

eva2000

Habitué
We are going to be moving to CentOS7 and Centminmod from eva2000
+1 awesome to see alot more forums and sites jump on my Centmin Mod LEMP stack :D

Does the current setup have any control panel and why are you going with something that does?
Centmin Mod doesn't have a control panel it's basically a shell based menu driven management with all the usual SSH command based operations you'd expect from non-control panel based setup.

Just the shell based menu has bash routines and functions that make it easy to do tasks by selecting a menu number - it's basically one bundle of shell scripts to make life easier.

i.e.
  • create and add a a new nginx vhost or http/2 ssl vhost site/account
  • upgrade/downgrade/recompile Nginx or PHP-FPM
  • install/reinstall php opcode cachers and a few select php extensions
  • wordpress autoinstaller + nginx vhost setup http://centminmod.com/nginx-wordpress-installer.html
  • as well as upgrade Centmin Mod code itself or switch branches (git backed repository) (menu option 23).
Think of it like cpanel from SSH window itself for a select few commonly done tasks :)

Centmin Mod 123.09beta01's centmin.sh menu http://centminmod.com/menu.html
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------
Centmin Mod 1.2.3-eva2000.09 - http://centminmod.com
                   Centmin Mod Menu                 
1).  Centmin Install
2).  Add Nginx vhost domain
3).  NSD setup domain name DNS
4).  Nginx Upgrade / Downgrade
5).  PHP Upgrade / Downgrade
6).  XCache Re-install
7).  APC Cache Re-install
8).  XCache Install
9).  APC Cache Install
10). Memcached Server Re-install
11). MariaDB 5.2/5.5 & 10.x Upgrade Sub-Menu
12). Zend OpCache Install/Re-install
13). Install ioping.sh vbtechsupport.com/1239/
14). SELinux disable
15). Install/Reinstall ImagicK PHP Extension
16). Change SSHD Port Number
17). Multi-thread compression: pigz,pbzip2,lbzip2...
18). Suhosin PHP Extension install
19). Install FFMPEG and FFMPEG PHP Extension
20). NSD Re-install
21). Update - Nginx + PHP-FPM + Siege
22). Add Wordpress Nginx vhost + Cache Plugin
23). Update Centmin Mod Code Base
24). Exit
Enter option [ 1 - 24 ]

Centminmod doesn't have a control panel, and neither does the current server. I won't want or need one to manage the server.
Yeah the more I use Centmin Mod, the less I use control panels like cpanel as I find I can get things done much faster in Centmin Mod :)

I'll be putting us on the Beta version.

FYI, I am using Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 on 110+ servers right now without problem including official centminmod.com site and community forums :)

MattW as you're using latest Centmin Mod beta and TAZ uses HTTPS as well, you can also enable ngx_brotli nginx module support for Brotli compression too so have HTTP/2 + brotli encoding support https://community.centminmod.com/th...algorithm-coming-to-chrome-browser-soon.5806/ ;)

eva2000

Habitué

Danielx64

Developer
Not wanting to bite you MattW, I am the kind of guy who generally wouldn't run beta stuff on a live environment, even running stuff on my dev machine have been quite scary.

One case I needed to restore my machine from a backup after hitting a bug while testing some PHP code.

Not wanting to bite you MattW, I am the kind of guy who generally wouldn't run beta stuff on a live environment, even running stuff on my dev machine have been quite scary.

One case I needed to restore my machine from a backup after hitting a bug while testing some PHP code.
That would also be the case for me, if it wasn't George who wrote centminmod. I've installed lots of machines with the beta version, and it's very stable. It's not as though it's a "new" beta, it's almost ready for stable.

Danielx64

Developer
So it been since like 90+ days since the last post here and there is still no words on the server rebuild?