Upcoming Facebook Changes

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by Lisa, Jun 29, 2019.

1. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+206
    Can we just strap Facebook to a rocket and send it flying into the Sun?
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Facebook is the last thing I would use if I wanted privacy!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+633
    Social media has also impacted the blog atmosphere.

Before social media, I could find 10-100 websites to network with on a daily basis via a simple google search.

People were more into making their own blogs/websites back then - and we made a LOT of money very easily.

Now people just make a facebook group because it's easy and there's instant gratification, but those people are making NO money at all.

The crazy thing is you've got people with groups of 30k+ members, but they don't know how to monetize it, nor do they even want to.

Some of these people could quit their day job if they just had more of an entrepreneur/marketing mindset.

The decrease of blogging folks made it a little trickier for webmasters to find people to network with. Now we have to reach out to things like FB groups and call them "influencers" LOL

3. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,181
    It's high time people ditch FB and communities regain their online independance.

All these talking points are a stark reminder FB group participants and admins are not in control of their experience and instead exploited to prop up an ecosystem preying on users' and visitors' privacy and stimulating SN addiction to breaking point.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Zero Numbers

Zero Numbers Adherent

+31
    These social media outlets are just becoming platforms for espionage. And some people wonder what the world is coming to.

If there are levels of hell, then this earth is the highest level of hell.

5. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,225
    So that'd make Earth either the 8th level or 10th circle of Hell? I'm not too sure about that but it'd make for a great title & premise for a horror book/movie/game. Would be perfect for the Doom series.

(In deep gravely announcer guy voice...)
    "Are you ready for the next level of Hell? Level 8 coming soon!"

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,447
    That'll be the mother-in-law coming to visit :(

7. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+212
    What do you mean?

8. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,475
    The members of my FB group. Trying to convince them why forums are far better than sticking with an FB group.

9. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    All of those changes look amazing, for forum communities lol. Hopefully they do push back people to using forums for their needs instead of facebook groups.

I'm also surprised forums haven't seen a big resurgent in the past couple of years. From what I've seen, heard, and experienced the younger generations all stick to twitter/instagram/snapchat while the older generations tend to stay with facebook. Most kids now a days use twitter as their main social media platform.

10. DaUnknownAdmin

DaUnknownAdmin What Are You Missin?

+11
    Lisa, Thanks for posting the key points. Any idea when they plan to implement these changes?

11. Lisa

+8,475
    They've already started rolling them out.

12. Lisa

+8,475
    Hey Rev, been a while!

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. Most of the younger generations do seem to stick with those three. IG is owned by FB so I imagine some of their policies will filter down to that soon enough as well.

13. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    Lisa!!! It definitely has been awhile! How have things been going for you? Can't lie before remembering about TAZ I tried to go back to your old site out of habit and then became disappointed lol.

I do agree on the policies trickling down to IG as well. I really do hope it brings a resurgence to forums though. I've always preferred forum communities over Facebook (I myself don't use it at all besides maybe once every 6 months and even Twitter I've cut way back on).

14. Lisa

+8,475
    Now I feel bad :ROFLMAO:

Me too. I've never been a fan of FB groups, and have never really understood how people can use them. I have a couple of large FB groups and I constantly tell the members I'm going to make it a forum lol

15. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    No need to feel bad LOL. Yours was the first admin forum I joined and really loved the atmosphere there. Also Shelley and her smiley packs, those were the best lmao.

If it were me I'd have already turned them into forums :sneaky: but the users there all probably protest every time it's brought up lmao. I just prefer setting up, maintaining and posting on forums where it's easier to keep things organized and to search for anything needed. I'm even thinking about either starting to get back into styling IPB and XF or even finally learning php to make addons.

16. Lisa

+8,475
    They all whine and complain and act like there's nothing other than FB on the internet :LOL:

17. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    I'd tell them we're moving to YouTube and have them make all of their postings in only one videos comments :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Fyuri

Fyuri Neophyte

+4
    what i worry about is the emotes. we often use a sad face when someone dies, or someone is sick. it is an expression of condolences. we use a mad face for things that disturb us. it is not about the person who posted. it is usually about the news itself. we never realized that facebook sees those emotes of personal feelings as something negative against the poster.

they need to just give us a thumbs down emote instead of going through all of this convoluted stuff about emotes. they are getting a bit ridiculous. do they really expect us to smile and be happy when someone's cat dies?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,032
    When Frederica's cat from next door dies who constantly craps over our lawn, you can be certain I'll be laughing emote that one all the way to kitty heaven.

20. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+206
    Facebook like most big tech companies these days has just gone crazy with algorithms.

They really should just keep things simple, it is better that way, every algorithm they try to add just seems to horribly backfire and even jeopardises their right to neutrality with the government jumping to tear them apart.

If there ever is a Facebook killer, it will almost certainly involve cutting through the crud while Facebook keeps building up the pile of crud.

In regards to this, you might want to see: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...k-sorry-secret-psychological-experiment-users

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.