Unpopular Forum Software

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by TrixieTang, Nov 5, 2013.

1. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    What forum software would you say is among the most unpopular? And no, vBulletin 5 is not a valid answer to this question, so don't even go there. :p

When I say unpopular I'm referring to the amount of attention that a software gets and how many people actually use it. I'm not referring to software that's unpopular because lots of people think it's crap.

Popularity doesn't have to relate to quality, something can be good software but still be unpopular because it's too different from the mainstream. A good example of what I'm talking about would be Kareha, which isn't exactly a popular script outside of the *chan scene due to its functionality being a bit alien to the average forum admin.

2. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
  3. Sinistra

Sinistra IPB3 ROCKS

+2
    It depends on what you are using the forum for. For me I run an anime community. vBulletin is a widely used software for anime communities. if we are going on whats unpopular in a format of community. I would have to say IP.Board is an unpopular choice for an anime community.

As far as unpupular software itself. I would have to say xenForo because I am just now hearing of it lol

4. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    You have laid the conditions and I have to tell you that I have no idea how to answer.

I cannot say that it's Windows 8 because it's not forum software.
    VB5 is forum software but you locked it out.
    Kareha, to agree with you? I've never heard of it.

XF has a very strong fan base but it doesn't mean it's popular.
    Is it unpopular because the crowd doesn't know about it? No, it isn't.

VB3-4? It's still in use by a large number of forums so it's not unpopular.

I cannot win and I think you trapped yourself, cannot win as well.

5. Darth_Apple

Darth_Apple Adherent

+24
    I think it would be hard to really gauge the "most unpopular" forum script out on the market. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of legitimate forum scripts available today without much of a fair share of their own user base. MyBB, SMF, phpBB, Xenforo, vBulletin, IP.Board, etc... are all fairly popular these days.

6. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    Exactly!

Perhaps what I'm looking for isn't so much unpopular forum software as it is obscure forum software. vBulletin, XenForo, IP.Board, phpBB, MyBB, SMF - All of these are examples of popular mainstream forum software, you see them mentioned constantly and it's hard to be active in the forum admin community without hearing about most of them.

Stuff like Kareha and Beehive Forum on the other hand, those are things that you rarely ever hear about or see in use on live sites.

Once I can finally go a few months without seeing any mention of vBulletin 5, then I'll consider the possibility that it might actually be unpopular and/or obscure software. ;)

I'm not trying to win anything.

7. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    You don't need a few months just a few days to be able to consider.

I state that VB5 is a very popular forum software and I put my 2 cents on it.
    Disagree with me?
    Put your 2 cents to the unpopular side.

Open a poll:
    #1 VB5 is a popular forum software.
    #2 VB5 is an unpopular forum software.

8. IPBS

IPBS Aspirant

+1
    don't worry guys vb 5.x will become popular and stable software.

9. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    Soon.

10. Tatl

Tatl Developer

+15
    I have a huge collection of stuff on an old external hard drive. I used to be so fascinated by forum software I actually was nerdy enough to collect it, haha.

Some of my favorites visually are older version from the 2004/2005 era of Chinese software, like Discuz and phpWind and other old stuff.

I'll dig it out and post some cool links. :]

11. DrivesMeCrazy

DrivesMeCrazy Aspirant

+13
    :biglaugh:
    good joke

12. Jura

Jura Devotee

+237
    Please do tell what you like about phpWind, Kareha, Beehive, and similar.

13. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    I'd say SMF. It's been around for a long time, and apart from the show your SMF thread on TAZ, I can't ever remember coming across an SMF based forum on my own. After having played around with it a few times for weeks at a time, I can say I understand why it's not popular.

14. Y2J

Y2J Enthusiast

+6
    vanilla and yabb.

15. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    I don't like them and don't dislike them because I don't know them.

16. echo_off

echo_off Life is an illusion...

+96
  17. eldritch1969

eldritch1969 Adherent

+108
    FUDforum is unpopular, because it doesn't look good.
    It's an excellent script, though, built by one of PHP's top devs, Ilia Alshanetsky

18. Niktator

Niktator Aspirant

+5
    :biglaugh:

ya right. very soon after they finished vb4 and care about customers in general.

19. Bendo

Bendo Fan

+9
    I'd say it is more popular than MyBB, there are certainly a lot more 1 million+ post forums on SMF than MyBB.

MyBB users seem to come here a lot more than SMF users (maybe SMF just works and they don't feel the need to goto forum software sites?), I'll grant you that, but they seem to have all disappeared lately.

20. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    MyBB gets a lot of popularity (or did) because it's pretty much the free version of vBulletin, with a lot of similarities in style and features. And TAZ used to be a heavily vBulletin focused website...

But I'm not sure which is more popular. Are you counting more popular with forum owners or forum users?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.