Unable to install

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by macfanpl, Jun 14, 2019.

1. macfanpl

macfanpl Participant

+8
    Whats being done?
    • ROOT into dedicated server (SemuPAN $ftp)
    • wgetted latest phpbb, unzipped into <rep-root>/forum
    • Pointed Safari (SSD ****) to <rep-root>/forum
    • First step is ok,
    • After second step it returns to Step1
    I mean: **** this ****

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 2
    • List
  2. Tom Kent

Tom Kent Developer

+19
    It could be that wgetting as root prevents the webserver from reading the files. Try CHOWNing as whichever user runs the webserver.

3. kawaii

kawaii Developer

+6
    Maybe Safari is the problem, have you tried using Internet Explorer?

4. Ashley S

Ashley S Adherent

+125
    Seems like there's a bug/glitch with your web browser. Try google chrome or Firefox.

5. salem

salem Adherent

+84
    Use the CLI

6. kawaii

kawaii Developer

+6
    Have you tried switching it off and on again?

7. macfanpl

macfanpl Participant

+8
    Will not touch Firefox (****ty as **** can be), nor any FF forks.......
    euantor its not who owns what.....its just phpbb being ****......

8. kawaii

kawaii Developer

+6
    Are you sure the webserver is definitely plugged in? Try disabling your anti-virus software.

9. macfanpl

macfanpl Participant

+8
    With or without AV, same thing

10. macfanpl

macfanpl Participant

+8
    • Personal Attack
    and who was that ****ing ass who hardcoded running from root prevention into wget?
    Hold on :: I know - ****ing moron !!!!

11. Tom Kent

Tom Kent Developer

+19
    It's not hardcoded, you can absolutely wget as root. The thing is, wget pulls files with the owner set to whatever user runs the wget command. If you're running as root, this will be root. The problem comes if the webserver can't execute files that don't belong to it (hence chowning to www-data, or apache, depending on who the user is that the webserver runs under).

This is for security reasons, you don't necessarily want a webserver to be able to arbitrarily read, write, and potentially execute files written to the directory by a different user.

12. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,161
    I think we've heard and seen enough of this sort of talk. If you can't be professional about your discussions we'll have to limit your posting abilities or remove you from this site.

13. macfanpl

macfanpl Participant

+8
    In newest (not released yet) version, oh yea its hardcoded..... browse source code......

Strange security rules than..... I mean consider this::

Multiuser system, many (100+) local users + countless number of remote users (accessing web/ftp/mail/whatever). Now:: webroot is system-default (/var/www/html) and is "owned" by www-data.Its a company webpage.
    Now - each local user has its own webapp (that s/he is working on currently) placed under $HOME/web also accessible from outside. Now - local user remotely connects to his/her account and tries to wget sth to make it available through webbrowser instantly. Its undoneable with wget........

14. macfanpl

macfanpl Participant

+8
    Off you go than.... ban me if thats what you want/desire.....

Id have communicated differently if people (those responsible for project management :: and Im not talking about latest MyBB team thread; Im talking about asses like Zeev Suraski and his team, Elastic, KDE, Mozilla, Qt and countless other) reacted with more humility

15. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,108
    macfanpl just refrain from swearing it serves no purpose at all. Also we do not care who you communicated with here on TAZ we expect that you behave.

16. macfanpl

macfanpl Participant

+8
    will do my best, but its hard when you criticize someone and the one being criticized is blatantly defending him/herself; there is sometimes no other option but to name it this way.....

Generally :: I have nothing against FOSS. Really. what I observed (and have been observing for some time) is that there are creators of - initially - real FOSS projects that - in order for supporting his/her project's growth - creates a company. In 99% cases this company's employees forgets what FOSS is based on,and - whats even more important - forgets about who is for who there. They start treating people like s***t and think they can rule the projects (with things like controlling whats PRed into source; code that "team" is not confortavle with - will not be merged no matter what). Its only one example.

Im not dismissing FOSS. Im saying that FOSS is not the one it once was. As I divide it modern FOSS (FOSS) and real FOSS (the one Mr. Stallman and others created). Im not saying that every company = switch from real FOSS to FOSS. I know one company thats real FOSS. Its called Nethesis (makers of NethServer).

Examples of bad FOSS? Zend, Elastic, Qt, KDE, Mozilla, and many many others..... try to make a PR to, say, KDE..... unless you are good friend of CEO's you have no chance of your code being merged regardless of its quality; may be of top quality; if CEO says otherwise, you can just go away.....

Thats what infuriates me most in todays IT world. This brings two "streams":
    • software becomes closed sourced in reality (FOSS becomes facade only),
    • there is a clique of CEOs who knows each-other in real world and each have other's back covered
    This situations is great harm not only to what Mr Stallman have been fighting for years, but to current atmosphere around FOSS.....

17. Tom Kent

Tom Kent Developer

+19
    Firstly, why are you using an unreleased version of wget to pull files...?

Secondly, if a user logs in and uses wget then it WILL NOT wget as root, it'll wget as that user. Not that this is a problem anyway, you can wget as root then just sudo chown the folder to belong to www-data. I really don't understand what the fuss is here...

18. Lewis H

Lewis H Neophyte

+2
    Fun times.

19. macfanpl

macfanpl Participant

+8
    why not? Because you say so? C'mon you will not tell me what (not) to do....
    In previous versions yes, in beta no......

the one creating a fuss (where the hell is the conjunction here?) is you so ...... just back off

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2019
  20. Tom Kent

Tom Kent Developer

+19
    Because you're complaining that you can't get something to work that works just fine on the standard release, because you're purposefully using a beta release that doesn't have the feature you want...?

If the beta has some incredible feature you can't live without then, sure, use the beta. Otherwise why put yourself through the trouble?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.