UBB.threads - 2018

Oedipus

Enthusiast
How secure is UBB.threads? Would you recommend it in 2018?

Why is the price so expensive? Are addons such as Downloads system, Blog, Ticket system available for UBB.threads?

Is their community active?

Greetings.

haqzore

Devotee
May I ask why you're considering it?

It looks bad on mobile, which is the price of entry in 2018.

My opinion, but the whole thing feels old. Like all the VB3/4 sites still around.

The "features" page is decent, but not impressive by any stretch.

I see no addon/modification repository. No styles.

It is expensive. For what you get, there are what I believe to be far better softwares and more active communities out there for the money.

So again my question is.... Why? Honestly, not trying to be negative. Just why?

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Ubb8 was supposed to be a significantly modernized version, but IINM the lead dev's sudden demise knocked back the project into more conservative updates for the existing supported branch.

Its price is probably difficult to defend next to more modern options, but it seems to cater to retro webmasters who find being part of a small ecosystem valuable. Its model is at least workable, with a yearly renewal/support fee that seems to keep them afloat, given its niche target audience.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I didn't even know UBB was still around :confused:

CarpCharacin

Habitué
UBB is dead, probably more so than vBulletin. My advice would be to go with XenForo. It's the same price as UBB, but it's a much newer, faster, more modern software. UBB doesn't even support PHP 7.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Software doesnt die today as easily, when it can be converted into a SaaS and face less competition there.

One of UBB's specificities was it ran a webhost focused on UBB (licence included - mindraven iinm). Long ago your your option for software-specific hosting was urljet but it wasnt run by jelsoft/vbulletin. Hosting managed by your yoftware's devs certainly has some appeal.

Oedipus

Enthusiast
Considering it because I like it. Simple as that. :) But ..it's expensive. Probably I will be using SMF because it's awesome. Testing it for a few days and I must admit it's great. Just I need to find a good mobile theme. :)

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
It's as expensive as XenForo without the ecosystem or what looks like a good chunk of the features.