Typology Central Review

Author Rating:
4.25/5,
  1. highlander29

highlander29 Enthusiast

+41
    highlander29 submitted a new Showcase Item:

Typology Central Review

Read more about this showcase item here...

2. highlander29

highlander29 Enthusiast

+41
    Any feedback?

3. JadeBlade

JadeBlade Adherent

+67
    I would say i'm not a huge fan of the theme. In today's standards things should be sleek and (for the most part) minimal. But other than that you have some fantastic content!

4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,046
    highlander29highlander29 I took a look at your site a while ago and spent more time than intended exploring the subject matter at the expense of giving any feedback. I still don't know what to make of the content but I did find it an oddly engaging subject and not one I've ever visited in any depth before.

Anyway I think what you've done to improve the site is impressive to say the least. You clearly know how to get the best out of a forum. Your list of improvements would make a good resource for any admin wishing to improve upon their site.

I do agree to some extent with JadeBladeJadeBlade, your forum's theme is probably it's weakest link. It looks very dated to my eyes and I found the colour scheme slightly distracting, particularly the background colour which seems at odds with the rest of the theme. It also didn't render too well on my iPad but that's to be expected given the platform it's runing on.

The bottom line... apart from some aspects of the theme, it's a very impressive site you have there.

5. JadeBlade

JadeBlade Adherent

+67
    To be fair though, I do love XenForo's default theme the most.. so.

6. EliteGamer123

EliteGamer123 Aspirant

+3
    Your forum looks very nice

7. highlander29

highlander29 Enthusiast

+41
    Thank you. This is very helpful feedback. Were you looking at the default skin? (I assume so). The Blue and Gold color. We have several skins.

I am not sure how to go about developing a new theme. I would gladly pay someone who is talented at this kind of thing to develop something.

8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,046
    It was the default I was looking at. I did take a brief look at the other styles but the default seemed the most polished. Unfortunately these days there are very few style shops that still create and maintain vBulletin 4 styles and even less prepared to take on custom work.

PurevB, VBstyles or possibly SultanTheme for custom work might be worth a look at. I can't really vouch for any of them as I've had no dealings with them directly but I believe they are still at least active in the vB4 skin market.

9. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+604
    I think the site looks kinda ugly too, BUT you can't argue with this:

22,403 Total Threads: 74,904 Total Posts: 2,478,337 Currently Online: 441

You're doing something right.

Don't change the look or anything major without asking your most important members first. They're all used to how it looks now, so anything major might freak them out. I think your main members would appreciate you considering their opinion. You could test new designs on a side page, make a poll for members to vote, or just leave it alone and enjoy your traffic.

Looks don't matter as much when you've got 400+ online and a history of 2.5 million posts. Nice work!!

10. highlander29

highlander29 Enthusiast

+41
    Yes, the biggest mistakes I have made are making too many changes too fast without enough communication in advance. I implemented VBCredits a short while back and it was not received well, though when we implemented the new home page, i was well communicated in advance that it was coming. Same thing with subforum icons - lots of people provided creative input.

11. JFKAssassination

JFKAssassination Aspirant

+6
    Wow! @ the sheer membership numbers alone.

There something else there that is inviting in a sense as well...cannot pinpoint exactly what that is, but am basing this sentiment on the ease it took to immerse myself into the content.

Two thumbs up!

12. highlander29

highlander29 Enthusiast

+41
    Thank you. Yes, I think it is a fun forum :)

13. HeartDoesNotLie

HeartDoesNotLie Neophyte

+0
    It looks good but seemed a bit quiet

14. highlander29

highlander29 Enthusiast

+41
    I replaced the theme.

Thanks for the suggestions!!