Turnover

Discussion in 'Finance and Traffic' started by pierce, Jan 8, 2017.

1. pierce

pierce Habitué

+600
    A lot of threads about getting the lowest cost everything at the moment.

How much did you start with for your now established forum?

$5, $100, $1000... More??

2. Yappi

Yappi Participant

+49
    If I remember right, I purchased my domain a couple years before starting the site (not specifically for the site). I used a free version of UBB and my hosting was I think $10 month. So I would say that I started it with $10 as the domain was just sitting there.

Outgrew the hosting and free version of UBB in the first month or two.

3. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+521
    I started with $0. Using free hosting and sub-domain. After 1 week I made $100 and bought hosting, domain and a second hand vBulletin license. I sold that forum long ago and with the money I built the business that changed my life. :)

4. GoingRight

GoingRight Participant

+13
    If I may ask: What was your forum topic? And what's your life changing business?

5. I A 1

I A 1 Participant

+20
    I have recently migrated my forum from a dedicated server to self-managed VPS and cut almost three-quarters of overall hosting costs. It is not a very busy forum, we get approximately 125 new posts daily.

And I have also started a new forum based on Discourse on another VPS at 2.99 Euro per month.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+521
    It was in the adult niche. It's not that I didn't have money to buy hosting or domain, but back then I didn't have the means to make payments online. About the business I built, it was in the business consultation industry (mostly offline businesses). I don't have it anymore, it got too big for me, I was chewing more than I could swallow, so I sold it. ;)

7. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+712
    Free hosting through a buddy with a subdomain. Made a few bucks on paid membership, bought the domain (idk, like $7 or w/e it was 11 years ago), then started buying hosting and management bc we started growing really quickly while in google sandbox for a year (something I don't see any new domains having to deal with). I really don't remember all the costs but at one point I remember having a dedi for $75/mo, plus buying vbulletin 3.x license, then mostly using free addons.

Since then, a lot of money is spent on custom add ons (close to $1k/mo usually), $350/mo for dedi, $70/mo for ddos protection, $300/mo for server management, $20/mo for email server to mask web server ip so we don't get ddos'd through someone viewing headers, and maybe a few other things here and there.

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  8. GoingRight

GoingRight Participant

+13
    $740 a month for server and $1k per month for addons????

9. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,270
    A few here can top that with the few servers they have. Don't forget if you are depended on your site for income you will spend alot of money to keep it running.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  10. GoingRight

GoingRight Participant

+13
    What kind of stats go with that? I have seen a 4mil post, 100k uniques a day site run on a $200 a month server.

11. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+712
    It's not always $1k/month but it's been roughly that for the last couple of months to get some big projects done (Homepage overhaul, store front, and other unique ideas I don't like to share until they are fully complete...I like to be the trend setter on the internet ;) ).

I have over 10M posts, 60k uniques/day. It's different for me than most people...with the gaming niche, I get to deal with skiddies who think they are BAMFs of the internet, buy a $5 ddos tool, and hit sites offline for fun. And I don't know what to do with servers, nor do I want to so since the site can pay for it and I still profit, I'd rather someone with the expertise run the backend, keeping it updated, keeping offsite backups, etc.

If I didn't have to deal the terrible skiddies or didn't want to be the leader in my niche to give my guests a unique experience unlikely to find elsewhere, then I would be spending a fraction of what I am spending, no doubt. But the site pays for it all and then some, it's actually my main source of income.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted