Tumblr vs. Wordpress...you choose!!

Discussion in 'Blogs, Wikis, and other CMP's' started by Biz Stop Inc., Apr 29, 2015.

1. Biz Stop Inc.

Biz Stop Inc. Aspirant

+1
    Almost everyone I know uses Wordpress to start a blog. I use Tumblr. Am I out of the loop?

2. Justin

Justin *Insert witty title here*

+786
    I've seen some epic bands using tumblr as their website. I think it's really down to what you want and need. If you plan to expand your blog and maybe build applications with it, then WordPress is good. But - If you plan only using it for blogging and aren’t interested in the add-on applications then I'd use tumblr. There are a ton of pro's and con's for both. I'd personally research both for what you want specifically.

3. Jura

Jura Devotee

+227
    Tumblr "blogs" are really ghetto and you can only do so much with them. It gives free viewers from other users of Tumblr, though. Give vague info and question gives vague answer.

4. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+599
    Wordpress man here all the way, never looked into Tumblr though.

5. chrisjohn93

chrisjohn93 Aspirant

+2
    Wordpress is best, because Wordpress is SEO Friendly website.

6. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+8,365
    I don't like Tumblr - not for a proper blog. It's okay for picture sharing. I just never got along with their comment (if that's what it is) system.

7. lucagrabacr

lucagrabacr Aspirant

+4
    I agree with Tumblr not looking like a proper blog but okay for picture sharing. Some of the themes do have disqus implementation feature, though.

8. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,135
    Wordpress fan here. What's Tumblr?? aimageup.jacquiidesigns.com_di_UIP2.gif

J.

9. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,396
    Also Wordpress fan here, but then I build off it :p

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,699
    It's probably a false perception on my part or maybe it's my age but Tumblr conjurers visions of Myspace in my head :eek: WordPress on the other hand I'm rather fond of, I run a lot of sites on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. davemacc

davemacc Fan

+393
    I like to self host my sites, I prefer to have the higher level of control that self hosting allows you.

I don't think self hosting of a tumblr site is available (I stand to be corrected ) and as a result it doesn't really interest me as a primary platform. I at look into it for traffic purposes though. It may have some benifit there.

12. tekboi

tekboi XF Student

+30
    I don't really see how wordpress and tumblr are in the same league. I mean, yes, they are both classified as "blogging" software. But wordpress is used for real world projects and is fully customizable. Tumblr is basically this generations version of myspace. Sure you can customize it to a certain extent, but you have very control of your content.

If your needs are very basic, tumblr is fine. If not, wordpress obviously.

13. Nexus

Nexus That Coldhearted ******

+20
    I'm not a Tumblr user, never was, and never considered it for anything. I've looked into Wordpress quite a bit but it was never exactly what I was looking for. I use Joomla instead. It's a very stable CMS, SEO friendly all the way, has tons of security updates regularly, and a butt load of available addons, paid as well as free.

14. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,921
    I am used to WordPress so I pretty much stick with it. Any non-forum site I create is always with WP.

15. Patrick0

Patrick0 Aspirant

+5
    I would have to side with WordPress but the overall arguements for it are not exactly valid as presented in this thread.

Tumblr is fantastic if you want to microblog, or just simply have blogging space. You don't have to worry about requirements or settings, and for most (if not all "bloggers" you will need nothing more and tumblr does it well)
    The best example is there is a game developed for PC entitled MineCraft and their news/update platform uses Tumblr.

Tumblr also embeds extremely well.

WordPress on the other hand, is a bunch more fleshed out. It allows you tons of use with the various plugins, and tons of free themes to use that you can install right from the platform. You would need shared hosting though, and for that I recommend http://Arvixe.com

Now for the biggie: WordPress.com vs Tumblr = Tumblr all the way for more freedom.

16. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+92
    I have used both, a lot. You cant really compare then, each has its own benefits and drawbacks.

If you are looking for a fully featured blog, happy to spend countless hours to get it how you want, want to customize the crap out of it, happy to be the blog hacking target of the decade, want every little widget or thingy on your blog then Wordpress is the way.

If you are looking for something simple, free hosting, quick set up, don't worry about updates, comes with a community attached (although I would agree its like a myspace one.. lol) restricted in how you can modify things (like post limit per page annoys me so much) a confusing chat/comment system then tumblr is probably the platform for you.

Like I said, depends what you want, each has its benefits and drawbacks.

17. Alundra

Alundra SMF Friend

+150
    I have to agree with Cornnfedd...you can't compare them they're both useful in different situations. I have about 4 wordpress blogs and a tumblr...and the reason I have a tumblr is because the content I was posting is better suited to tumblr than it is to wordpress. Also I would note tumblr can't have comments and publishes your "comments" as new posts so you need to factor in whether or not comments are important to you! :)

Also, tumblr is MUCH easier to get a following on....but then again how good is a following if you can't interact? ha ha (I do love tumblr though!)

18. geeksonrepair

geeksonrepair Aspirant

+9
    WordPress is better as compare to Tumblr.

19. 12BETAly

12BETAly Aspirant

+7
    Its not that you're out of the trend is just that wordpress have the widget that tumblr have, but if its for personal used then yes you could prefer using tumblr. Wordpress is usually used by business, but I have an account in wordpress I just don't use it that much anymore.

20. ranjith Yaan

ranjith Yaan Neophyte

+0
    in opinion WordPress stands far ahead of Tumblr,because of its seo friendly features and easy to use control panel..May be you are advanced user or newbie my advice is to prefer wordpress

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.