Trying to get information off on an old defunct forum database, need advice.

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by Wolf's Rain, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Wolf's Rain

Wolf's Rain Neophyte

+3
    Hey guys. So basically, my friend (Shutout) and I ran a forum from 2011-2016 that was an Invision Pro Board. Here's a wayback machine screen grab of what it looked like:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160713174208/gamesitecenter.com/forums

Original link was gamesitecenter.com/forums.

Long story short, I'm trying to find the login info to a Youtube channel that we created for the site (https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesitecenter) but I'm pretty sure I only posted the info on our forum and nowhere else. Obviously the wayback machine only archives a select amount of info, so I haven't been able to have any luck with finding any posts through there that potentially had the info.

My question is, I'm guessing that the database is no longer able to be restored anywhere online even if we bought a new subscription. However, there's a chance that my friend still has the database archived on his computer since we had to move hosts in the past when we ran the site.

This might sound incredibly dumb, but I'm just trying to see what would be the best way of trying to find out the info that I posted on the forums. Would the database be able to tell us any info in terms of viewing it from a computer, or would we have to host the content to be able to see it? If so, could anyone tell me what the best way of doing that would be so that we can just get the information we need?

Thanks guys, appreciate it. :)

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,971
    Provided that that database on your friend's computer has the post, your friend can find that post in the database simply using a text editor.
    It can be very time consuming.

3. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+803
    if you are trying to recover a you tube account from prior to google sign in you are hosed , i have lost access to my channel with thousands of subscribers and tried to recover multiple times

4. Wolf's Rain

Wolf's Rain Neophyte

+3
    Hard to say if it required a Google sign in or not....we created the channel near the end of 2011 but the channel itself obviously looks very bland compared to how channels look now.

5. Karll

Karll Adherent

+143
    Presumably, what your friend would have is a database backup. If the backup is in SQL format, you can search through that with a text editor, as suggested by doubt. Alternatively, you can also simply install the required database system (both MySQL and MariaDB should do the job with a IPB database) on a desktop/laptop computer and then import the backup into that. Then you can query the database with SQL in a client application such as Dbeaver, which has a graphical user interface so you may not need any SQL skills, and it also works with all relevant database systems. Or use the command-line clients that come with the database system, though this does require SQL skills.

Happy to help with any further details, just let me know.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  6. Wolf's Rain

Wolf's Rain Neophyte

+3
    I've been thinking about this a bit more, and I wonder if we'll ever be able to actually recover the account now. I have a feeling that when we created the account back in 2011, that if any info did get posted to our old gaming forum, it would've been only the user name and password, not the Gmail address with it since apparently that wasn't required for logging in at the time until awhile later. Anything's possible though at this point.

There were several staff members on our site at the time, and I forgot to mention that there was another person besides my friend and I that also used the YouTube channel in question and posted to it, but now I'm really wondering exactly how the info became available, whether it was posted on the forums or exchanged a different way. That being said, the info could very well be there if a copy of the database is still around on my friend's computer, but again, it's been so long that I have no idea.

One other question, would the database also have any PM's stored in terms of being able to look those up if in case the info was exchanged through that?

The reason why this was a concern of mine in the first place is that I wouldn't want the YouTube channel in question to affect any of the other channels my friend and I have if something happened to it where it got taken down (I don't think it would get taken down for any reason besides inactivity) but knowing that the account hasn't been accessed in so long, and also knowing that someone else we knew was actually the last person to post to that channel & take control of it, I think I should just move on from it. It doesn't look like the channel is linked to any email accounts that I currently use, so I really don't see how it would affect me.

I'm looking for other people's opinions/advice on this if possible, I think I'm ready to move on from worrying about this but was curious if anyone else has any thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.