Trophies vs Reputation System

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
Whether it was your intention or not, this reads as personal (to me, anyway):
Your topic is a waste and nobody cares either, yet you felt the need to post this. What is this topic for? Nothing.

Alpha1

Administrator
It seems to me that this thread is not about a reputation system but about a user rating system, which is similar. A reputation system similar to vbulletin is an entirely different animal than ebays user rating system.
On my XF site we use a moderated reputation system which measures post quality. This means that all post reviews are approved by a moderator (if they meet strict guidelines) before these become anonymously visible. Ratings can be reported if the receiver doesn't agree it meets the guidelines.
This is pretty much the opposite of what belazor and fixer describe.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
was just using ebay for an example , itrader rating is what you are thinking is the same as how i explain the usefulness of a rep system its close but users are not rated for transactions its for contributions

Alpha1

Administrator
Yes, itrader and a reputation system are two different things. One rates transactions or users while the other rates content.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
Actually I read it not as an attack, but more as an "artistic" use of the thought process the OP used in HIS original statement, to get a somewhat sarcastic point across.
The clever wording really doesn't change anything, though Belazor will probably be tickled that you were impressed with his artistry.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
i debated my response to him , what i posted is most definatly not the first thing i typed , it was a personal attack towards me

drop it

this is a constructive thread as this single issue may just be enough for me to move my xf site to ips like the rest

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
Put yourself in the position of a developer/coder being told that their code "is a waste no body cares". Then you can see the aspect of the sarcastic use of comparing the OP's post of being useless to the XF code for trophies (even though the dev in question is not XF related).
You do have to think outside the box sometimes and consider the possible skew that someones job/career choice would place on sarcastic responses.
Not everything is a personal attack - sometimes it's sarcasm that "normal" people may not get.
Fixer didn't comment on Belazor's code. If a XenForo Developer had responded the way Belazor did I would have given them more leeway. Then again, I don't believe a XenForo Developer would have responded way.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
i didnt know the post ratings were tracked like that, i may be able to use that system and remove all but agree and disagree ratings hummm

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
i didnt know the post ratings were tracked like that, i may be able to use that system and remove all but agree and disagree ratings hummm
The tracking requires an additional add-on to extend the Post Ratings add-on. Post Ratings can be already configured to hide posts which get too many negative ratings. But it's still a post rating tool, not a member rating tool.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
If anything, the Post Ratings are useful for solidifying the sense of community among the members. The XenForo developers were very smart to use a simple Like system for this and to eschew negative ratings, which are very often misused and IMO detrimental to the community in many cases.

Steve

Fanatic
The tracking requires an additional add-on to extend the Post Ratings add-on.
The part Tracy showed is part of the default Post Ratings add-on, the link I posted is from the post ratings extended so half right! :p

fixer

I'm In My Prime
i think this will do.

now to completely remove the trophy system?

maybe xf2 will not have trophies?

fixer

I'm In My Prime
YEA NO MORE TROPHIES FOR ME !!! :ROFLMAO:

Love the IPS Reputation System and Reactions :cool:

Reputation Promote Post Quality, Trophies Promote Post Quantity :einstein:

Reactions promote user activity and engaugement :einstein:

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
It's an interesting point you make Fixer does Trophies promote quantity over quality. You want posts that are interesting and draw in attention from other users that want to discuss. That also reminds me what Jim McClain said in a post that he splits discussions if needed he uses the full tools the software gives him. It's something you need to report back on Fixer can you do a poll on your site what people like best trophies or reputation.