Domain Name(s) TLD registration - Do I have to use my real contact information ?

Discussion in 'Domains and SSL Certificates' started by Digital Doctor, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,695
    TLD.registry.contact.information.jpg

If I use my real name, real address, does whois protection work ? I think I pay for whois protection on another site.
    Do requirements vary based on which TLD I am registering at ?
    This isn't a popular TLD.

https://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/top_level_domain/all
    It's in the <0.1% category.

Won't they harvest my real name when I pay with credit card ?

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+920
    You always give your details, many tld's have a rule that if details are incorect they can take the domain back. Just use a who is gaurd it wil cost a few bucks but only a few can get your details.

3. ozzy47

ozzy47 Moderator

+4,257
    Short answer, yes!

4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+2,792
    Be aware that if you use a US TLD, whois protection is usually not available for them. That's why I got a PO Box to use and have a Google Voice #. I'm not sure if other country specific domains are similar.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+7,488
    Same with .co.uk TLDs - it's stupid not being able to use whois privacy on certain TLDs.

6. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Fan

+544
    The information should be 'real' as in, accessible by you. I have never used my MAIN contact info, I use a email address that is only for this purpose, a phone number that is a cell number I don't ever use but is valid, and the address is always a PO Box. The name is, whatever the domain name is. This is 13 years it's worked, zero problems or issues.

They don't check on it, they don't verify it. There's NO reason to use your real name or MAIN contact information.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,439
    That's pretty much how it is for me although I do get invited periodically to 'correct any inaccurate contact data'. I would never use my personal details as a contact but the contact details I do use are genuine and accessible by me.

8. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,263
    One reason is that point of contact is often used by an attorney to send a legal notification to a real person, usually to the administrative contact. Privacy proxy services forward such letters and emails to that contact.

9. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+53
    I always used fake information when I owned domains. One time a domain of mine was reported for false information and all I had to do was buy whois guard protection for $1.99 and the registrar gave up on the investigation. I continued to use the domain for a few years after that and I still had fake information entered for it.

10. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,263
    That's a good way to risk a default judgment in a lawsuit if the other party has no way even through privacy protection forwarding to reach you.

11. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+44
    If you want full anonymous registration send me a PM and I can let you know what I have done in the past.

:)

12. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+53
    Oh yeah? Who cares? I never got sued and I don't own any domains today so nothing happened and nothing can happen.

13. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,263
    I thought the subject matter is about someone who is buying a domain, and will own one, not about how to fail in the forum marketplace so you end with no domains.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 5:54 AM
  14. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+53
    I call that a win, but then again you don't know my situation.

15. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,263
    Good for you. After some big forum sales whether I work is a choice so I consider my situation a win as well. Retired at 40, missed doing it after a few years and got back into forums with domains I've hung onto (have 76 at this point). :)

Frankly, with privacy guard, I see no reason to provide false information on a registration other than criminal reasons. In my opinion how to circumvent ICANN rules is a topic better served by blackhat forums, not TAZ,

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. ozzy47

ozzy47 Moderator

+4,257
    This I would have to agree with. :2thumbs:

17. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+53
    Privacy reasons, not criminal. If you're a criminal committing crimes on the internet, there's still a good chance you can be tracked down regardless of the contact information listed on your domain name.

Anyone wanting to input false information for a domain (99.9% of the time) will not be held accountable for doing so. I shared my experience as proof of that. You just have to be smart about it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted