Thread Prefixes And SEO

DRE

Fan
Do you use thread prefixes and if so are all your site's threads prefixed? Are you using images for your thread prefixes or just text with CSS styling? How important are thread prefixes for SEO Purposes? I wondered about this after reading the "Have You Seen" thread for HTML Microdata in Breadcrumb and wondering if I should use another addon for Metadata such as Brivium Metadata Essential. @Carlos says thread prefixes shows up in the metadata.

Last edited by a moderator:

DRE

Fan
*clicks on his profile*

Uh why did Carlos get banned? lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
You mean like we have in Community Software section. SMF, MyBB, phpBB etc ? Or " Help ", " Tutorial ", " Videos ", " Solved " etc ?

Does it help in SEO ?

Uh why did Carlos get banned? lmao
Probably for the same reason he gets banned on every other site.

As for the original question, I'd imagine there can be some benefit to using thread prefixes, but it really depends on what the prefix text is. 'Solved' and similar prefixes probably would not help at all.

Wonko

Adherent
Yes I use them a lot now started approx 3 months ago, keep adding to them as and when it is relevant to do so, they are very easy to set up on xenforo.

DRE

Fan
I'm asking because lets say I made a thread prefix called "Relationships" and then created a thread called "Elephants" using the "Relationships" prefix.

If someone does a google search for "How Elephants Affects Relationships" Will the "Relationships" thread prefix show on the google search results page?

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
Could you give some examples ? Does prefixes like " Android ", " Apple ", " Windows Phone " etc work well on a tech niche ?

I'm asking because lets say I made a thread prefix called "Relationships" and then created a thread called "Elephants" using the "Relationships" prefix.

If someone does a google search for "How Elephants Affects Relationships" Will the "Relationships" thread prefix show on the google search results page?
Yes, I would imagine the prefix would since I believe it is appended to the title of the page.

Could you give some examples ? Does prefixes like " Android ", " Apple ", " Windows Phone " etc work well on a tech niche ?
yeah, those would likely work well since they are related to the topics of the site. You would definitely want to make sure the content of the particular thread is related, too.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
Here we use an image for Prefix MyBB, phpBB, SMF etc. How good is it ? Should we go for text Prefix ?

DRE

Fan
Okay that's good to know. I've been using the Film prefix for my movie threads. Now I'm thinking about using a Movie prefix instead.

Okay that's good to know. I've been using the Film prefix for my movie threads. Now I'm thinking about using a Movie prefix instead.
I don't think it would affect your SEO that much for it to matter. I'd use whatever is best for your community. "Film" is still leagues better than something like, "Octopus".

DRE

Fan
My bad for making duplicate threads. Edited my first post. I've been going back and adding thread prefixes to a bunch of old threads. I've been finding some duplicates too. So right now my goal is to add thread prefixes and merge some of the duplicates. I wish there was a more eloquent way of merging duplicates because whenever a duplicate thread is merged it loses the title and the context so when people look at a post that was originally a first post they'll be confused. I find myself having to add their original title in their post. I wish there was an addon for that. I'll make a request thread on Xenforo when I'm out of moderation lol.

My bad for making duplicate threads. Edited my first post. I've been going back and adding thread prefixes to a bunch of old threads. I've been finding some duplicates too. So right now my goal is to add thread prefixes and merge some of the duplicates. I wish there was a more eloquent way of merging duplicates because whenever a duplicate thread is merged it loses the title and the context so when people look at a post that was originally a first post they'll be confused. I find myself having to add their original title in their post. I wish there was an addon for that. I'll make a request thread on Xenforo when I'm out of moderation lol.
Yeah, I think it's been suggested before - (I think even I may have suggested it) - but a moderation note applied to the thread stating that content had been merged in. Would be really helpful.

DRE

Fan
Yeah, I think it's been suggested before - (I think even I may have suggested it) - but a moderation note applied to the thread stating that content had been merged in. Would be really helpful.
If you can find that thread I will like the first post. Right now my forum is private but when I'm ready to open it back up, hopefully I'll have no duplicates.

DRE

Fan

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 1.39.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 1.39.30 PM.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 1.38.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 1.38.09 PM.png
    11 KB · Views: 41

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
hmm. So you are planning to use prefixes to avoid sub forums ? If it really works, it is a good idea.

Can we use tags instead ?

DRE

Fan
hmm. So you are planning to use prefixes to avoid sub forums ? If it really works, it is a good idea.

Can we use tags instead ?
Works for me. I think its best because the average person (not us webmasters of course) are browsing mainly on their smart phone or tablet these days.