Thoughts on my top poster's block

Discussion in 'Graphics Discussion and Help' started by Study Force, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Study Force

Study Force Aspirant

+6
    Inspired by the one found on theadminzone.com, I figured it was time to add a Top Poster's block as well.

Please let me know what your thoughts are and what I can do to improve it.

You can see an example here (found on the left)

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=1877016.0

I was thinking of making the "This week" part a clickable drop-down menu where the user can select the duration (24 hours, Month, Year) all loaded in AJAX.

Attached Files:

2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,074
    Honestly, nothing against yours or anyone's design for that matter, but no one really cares who the top posters are on a forum. The exception might be egotists who think having the highest counts on a forum makes them special.

3. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+740
    Pffft...then why are you one of the top posters on this forum then, huh?

upload_2018-11-12_14-57-59.png

We all know how important and coveted those top spots are ;)

4. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,074
    First I knew of it, that's how much I don't pay attention to those things. :) Not too long ago, someone, I'm friends with who also has a big board said something interesting about this very topic:
    (paraphrasing her)
    "Why would you want it? Sooner or later people move on to new things (or die) and you're left with someone on the top poster's list who shows years since they last visited. That does not give a good impression to newbies wondering why would one of the top people leave?"

5. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+740
    That's why you have it constrained to the last week/month etc.

The top poster of all time should be praised and revered on a special page, only visited out of respect and admiration by those new to the community and any old fogies still around, who might have actually known the person and do truly miss them one they leave....or die...:(

Most top poster widgets are time constrained though, so I don't think your friend has to worry too much. We all spend so much time in various communities these days it's not unusual to see personalities come and go, or move on...to a better place...like a forum with better features ;)

6. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,970
    Good heaven...

7. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+740
    That's what they usually say!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.