This may be a bit broad

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Daniel, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Daniel

Daniel Aspirant

+9
    Hello,

Sometimes while I am at work I randomly think of idea's. Today, my idea just happened to be related to a forum.

The idea is based around learning side by side with others on various topics such as programming, forum management, Microsoft tools such as MDT, PC building, starting a Minecraft server etc.

I think some of the stuff mentioned has a forum or a website of some sort that may focus on them so maybe we'd not include those. However I can't help but wonder how the idea would do because I enjoy learning new things and digging into how I can get to my end goal. Heck, it's part of what I do at work a good chunk of the time and it's quite a lot of fun.

I haven't thought through the idea a ton and I don't have any plans to execute said idea but I wanted to kind of throw it out there and see if the concept is even moderately good.

2. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,045
    It seems to work for Lifehacker.

Most people enjoy "how stuff is made" or how do I...?" content, so I can see having an audience for it. To me, though, what you've described seems like it would be better as a blog or wiki, rather than a forum. Most people aren't going to want to read through a long discussion from people trying to come to consensus on the best way to accomplish something. Perhaps you could have a related forum, where you could throw out ideas and let the members bash it out, then move the result to the wiki/blog, etc.

3. Daniel

Daniel Aspirant

+9
    That's true, I didn't consider how long a thread would get and that readers wouldn't want to dig through all of that. I'd almost say having a blog front end with a Forum for folks to discuss how to do something and make it something like a Knowledge base article but only in a blog post format is a good way of executing the idea.

I also just thought of an idea that if I keep with the idea of "How to..." with computer/technology based things specifically it could potentially turn into a YouTube/Video creation idea as opposed to text. Some folks quite prefer following a long with a video, at least the visual people.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.