This area has crickets chirping

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by BarneyL, Aug 17, 2014.

1. R44

R44 Asperger's Network? Absolutely.

+415
    And yet; that's the exact jist of every post you have made in this thread (other than the one where you said you wouldn't argue).

Where have you asked any question in this thread other than your pre-existing one "Why isn't this simple"?

I'm not seeing any asking at all. I'm seeing complaining.

2. BarneyL

BarneyL Enthusiast

+22
    Hmm. OK. Well, I thought I was asking for the pros/cons of free/cheap vs. full-featured forums, but maybe it didn't come across as intended. Take care, I apologize for any unintended vexation.

3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,585
    No, what you are asking is the difference between hosted forums (that are sometimes done for free) and a forum that is hosted by an individual via a shared hosting account, VPS or dedicated server.
    For me, there are to many restrictions on the "hosted" forums. Connection limits (you get these with a shared hosting environment also), inability to use some stuff I like to have (GeoIP is one - most shared hosts won't offer it because of the extra resources it requires), memcached, and a few other odds and ends.

I believe even myBB has a "hosted" location that you can use... but I can promise you that it's not a "plug & play" environment.

I'm of the school of thought if you can't invest the time into learning how to administer and configure a forum, you have no business running one (unless you are hiring someone to do that aspect of it for you - which it does not sound like you are).

4. BarneyL

BarneyL Enthusiast

+22
    TPerry - and I sure have learned this may be the wrong place to say it, but I'm of the opinion that many people are perfectly fine with the limitations of free or cheap hosted forum software - folks who are likely to never run into the limits you refer to, use the program you mentioned, etc. And my "school of thought" tells me that forums should not always require a major "time investment" - for many who don't need such bells and whistles, the limitations are fine to live with for the benefits of less time setting them up, less money spent etc. It feels somewhat like driving enthusiasts who'd never give up their stick shifts getting frustrated/upset with those who are fine with the limitations of automatic transmissions (there may be a better analogy but I can't think of one right now.)
    But you folks sure have pointed out to me why the 'free hosted forum' section of TAZ is so rarely visited or posted to - anyone who shares a different perspective on their benefits is basically called someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. And that's too bad. I'm not talking about boards with 10s of 1,000s of users or a corporate environment, or with $ to hire folks to craft a forum. I'm talking simple lil forums with a few 100s folks at most who are quite happy with they are - or folks like ProBoards wouldn't exist or be successful. I marvel at what many of you have been able to do, but not everyone has that level of patience, skills, time or ... sorry to waste your time, have a good night.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  5. Tracy Perry

+3,585
    It's not a waste of time.. but I don't think you will find many people using those type systems on a board like this.
    For what you are wanting, Google Groups would probably work work fine. I know that the guys at OpenLiteSpeed (an HTTP server) use it for their support forum.
    As for boards with 10's of 1,000's of users. The most any of mine has is 27. I run 4 XenForo sites and 3 myBB ones. I do it because I enjoy it (all the gritty stuff you want to avoid).
    I think you are assuming it's more complicated than it is... in reality it is not. Once you start playing with it (any forum script) you will start learning it and becoming comfortable with it.

My suggestion - find a shared hosting environment that has phpBB and/or myBB as an install option. It pretty much sets all the DB related stuff up for you (if I remember correctly) and configuring the back end is easy. That way you are only in it for $7-$15 a month until you decide if you want to do it or not... the other option is (like I said) Google Groups.

6. BarneyL

BarneyL Enthusiast

+22
    Thanks. One reason I'm likely not to use Google Groups - I like a forum organization - the levels and one-spot-ness of it - not the spread and sprawl of Facebook OR Google Groups. Besides, my dream is of having a successful enough forum on the side to bring it under the TV station Website where I work in framed fashion, helping build time on site and revenues, etc. I should have stuck to the Getting Started and IPB areas here and ... well, again I appreciate the input, which I did ask for and appreciate the honest insightful replies of. Sorry if I came off as defensive/argumentative;-)

7. Tracy Perry

+3,585
    Yeah, just about every script out there that looks any good has complexity in it by it's very nature.
    Some to look at are
    SMF (haven't used this but people like it)
    myBB (using this now - easy to configure -- for me at least)
    phpBB (have used and is complicated in current version for add-ons, requires template edits frequently but the new version should fix this)
    FluxBB (never used this)

Each would require a minimum of a shared hosting environment to set up.

8. BarneyL

BarneyL Enthusiast

+22
    TPerry - nah, I'll go with IPS's hosted solution probably instead. I know my strengths and priorities and ... I'll keep plugging away. Thanks

9. Erin Nicole

Erin Nicole Habitué

+273
    I offer free hosting on the side. While it isn't only for forums it would work perfect for any of those free (or paid) forum software that are out there. I can also provide installation and setup of your forum as well.

I can also provide support since you have said before that you don't know much, if anything, about hosting your own website or forum. While I don't have a ticketing system yet (should be coming soon) all communications are through email and I get them on my phone so even if I am away from the computer I can at least respond with something to help you out on whatever issue you are having. :)

http://hostwish.pw

10. BarneyL

BarneyL Enthusiast

+22
    Thanks erin Nichole, it's kind of you. I've already signed up for IPS hosting so I'm going to give that my best shot.

11. Erin Nicole

Erin Nicole Habitué

+273
    Well, keep me in mind. :)

12. ethan

ethan im a fireman, i mean EMT

+108
    I actually have converted 17k of ZetaBoards posts to IPB manually, that said, it wasnt a fun experience and involved 4-5 hours of troubleshooting the various mySQL errors I was getting from ZB - to myBB - to IPB(The convertor didin't have a IPB 3.4 option, so I had to transfer it to myBB, then IPB)

You can cache things like posts, members, ect, in the end because I obviously couldn't get passwords everyone just had to request a new password via email, otherwise it went off without a hitch.

It's far from impossible, then again, I don't know the usual crowd using freeforums would have 'advanced' knowledge to transfer it at a later date.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.