Thinking about starting community?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Renshaw, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    Hi all,

I'm currently thinking about starting a forum up. Just need a few tips maybe?

Right, the forum will be about the town, for the towns people. For example, a place where people can talk about whats happening in the town, nights out, jobs etc. General chat.

The population of the town is around 300,000 people so a wide audience!

Advertising would be easier as flyers etc could be handed out easily.

Anyone had similar experiences, do you think it would work? Theres another town one, thats next to us and thats a huge hit! (30,000 members..)

What d'ya think?

2. shellspeare

shellspeare Uninteresting

+39
    If it hasnt already been done then i think it would be worth it.

You need to do your research well beforehand though. Check out other 'local' communities, see their positives and negatives and learn from them. Check their types of ads and sponsors.

I also think you'd need to contact the following

local council
    local historical group
    local creative writing group
    local sports teams
    local journalists
    local papers
    town commities and features... theatres, bars, leisure centers etc

When contacting these people outline what you aim to do, see if they wish to participate as sponsors, members etc...

good luck :)

3. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    Thanks for that. Yes its not been done yet which I fink is a great opportunity. Because it would be great to come online and have a chat with people in your same town..

Still thinking about it!

4. shellspeare

+39
  5. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    Thats the one next to us ;)

6. shellspeare

+39
    Rotherham?

I actually researched that one myself :)

7. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
  8. Zantor

Zantor Aspirant

+0
    I think that community based forums are very succesfull. Just make sure that your forum is the biggest there is in the area. Try to build a sense of respect of your town, and people will always visit. I think another way to get traffic (although somewhat strange) would be through a real estate agent. Getting new people in town to join your site would be very successful. I'm not sure if many real estate agents give out flyers, but it would be worth a go.

9. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    It would be the only one in our town. So I would have no competition at all, which would be really good. I personally beleive it could be very good, with great marketing opportunities (Bars, clubs, shops, papers, college etc)

10. Michelle Waters

Michelle Waters Enthusiast

+2
    If you have a local chamber of commerce, see if they send out welcome packets to new people in the community. This would be a good way to reach out. Also, once you join, you may be able to have a link on the chamber website, and in some of their publications.

My local chamber does both of these things. Plus, if someone calls them and requests services that they know I offer, the chamber staff tells the caller about my company.

11. 2010

2010 Adherent

+0
    Renshaw, you are so lucky, all my little towns where I grew up already have several, towns that are smaller than yours, and internet is still a luxury there.
    I wish you luck, and hurry.:tiphat:

12. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    I dont personally think Im going through with it as I dont really have the time at the minute. (Working all day)

13. JKhoury

JKhoury Aspirant

+0
    Sounds like a very interesting and promising concept. If your town is anything like mine, then you'll be attempting to reach out to users who aren't too familiar with the internet.

I'd suggest spending some time on improving user accessibility and writing up a few help articles, just in case.

You may also want to get a moderation crew in place, so that they can assist any members with inquires.

There are so many marketing opportunities available for this venture. Shopping Centers, Public Events, Stores, Bars, Clubs, Colleges and Schools, Newspaper Advertisements and so forth.

Kudos on the idea. :)

14. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    Thanks for the message.

It personally believe it would be a nice forum, but working 9-5.30 everyday would limit me as I only get about 2 hours max on the net daily. So would be really hard!

15. 2010

2010 Adherent

+0
    I work all day too, from 8 to 4 , and I never go to my site during work. After work though I sit untill 12 , I eat in a fast food, never cook. That's my sacrifice for my community.

16. Orp

Orp ForumsForums.com

+8
    I offer up sub forums to folks who want to start their own. I manage the server, you manage your forum. It can be private or public. I have a pretty generic name just for that reason. ForumsForums.com

PM me if interested.

Good luck no matter which way you go with this.

17. Renshaw

Renshaw Keep at it!

+1
    Thanks for the offer but if I was starting it up I'd start it up using my own hosting :)

Also, I dont get on the net usually till about 11pm then go to bed about 12! Only 1 hour, cant afford to stay up all night doing it! :tisk:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.