The watching 'vBulletin's market share nosedive' thread.

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by is_it_me, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Within 6 months

18.3%
  2. Within 1 year

26.8%
  3. Within 18 months

10.4%
  4. Within 2 years

18.3%
  5. Within 30 months

3.0%
  6. Within 3 years

6.1%
  7. Longer than 3 years

17.1%
  1. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+129
    https://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/content_management/all
    https://www.whoishostingthis.com/compare/wordpress/stats/
    The first site which comes to mind for these things is W3Tech as they have a fairly long reputation of tracking these things, although they don't give you precise numbers.

Luckily, we know how many sites Wordpress has, so we can calculate backwards off that.

Wordpress has 75 million sites and 33% of all sites.
    vBulletin has x sites and 0.1% of all sites.

Let's start by dividing 75 million by 33. That's about 2.2 million per percent.
    Divide that by ten and that's 220k sites.

These statistics sites tend to give varying results however, perhaps some crawlers can't find all the sites while others can find other pockets of sites. And they don't need to have millions of paying customers, if you know what I mean, although who knows, I just follow whatever statistics seem reliable.

Edit: I give up on calculating. My brain is half-asleep. Anyway. I think that methodology could get some results. I'm going to bed, good night.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,274
    The figures I've seen vary so wildly they are not worth quoting. It's one reason I like Digital Point's cookie search because it shows trends.

The only figure I've ever heard that had any credibility came from Internet Brands who claimed over 120,000 vBulletin licences sold. That was well over five years ago.

3. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,154
    Builtwith has a section that details its numbers in a bit more detail corroborating the general trends shown on tracking sites.

Here's vbulletin's page.. Most notably, it gives a numerical value on how many sites migrate to or away from vb, and from/to wich software. Unsurprisingly its loss is xf's greatest gain...

4. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+129
    I'm sure XenForo would benefit a bit from it, particularly after the big drama where vB accidentally advertised their own competitor lol

Another thing to possibly keep an eye on is if they start raising their prices with little explanation, as that's often a sign of how healthy the market is (or they might just want more money lol).

Wow, this is becoming like divining signs from the stars lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.