The watching 'vBulletin's market share nosedive' thread.

When will vB drop below 50% market share?

• Total voters

Judge Dredd

Old Guy

Whatever you say.

Nope, its not a fact at all, just your opinion.
The only "fact" is that I dont represent anyone, unless I say I am.

It is a fact of life, even though you don't like it. Whatever. You are free to continue living under a rock if you so desire. If you ever work for another company that actually cares about what its employees say, good luck telling people you don't represent the company in what you say and do. You are in for a real eye-opener.

is_it_me

or not?
Meanwhile, over to the Cookie Monster for the latest scores...

Commercial Forum Platforms - relative marketshare
vBullentin – 58.0%
xenForo – 29.1%
Invision – 12.9%

So, in 11 months & a few days since the thread was started, vB is down 10.3%, xF is up 9% & IPB is up 1.4%.

It looks like it'll be a close call as to if vB drops below 50% just before or just after the 18 month deadline.

So, as of today (17th Jan. 2014), we have:

vBullentin – 68.3%
xenForo – 20.1%
Invision – 11.5%

I look at it this way. If your going to remain compliant with web standards eventually you have to either heavily modify vB3 and vB4 to meet upcoming web standards. vB3 and vB4 are built on xHTML templates. xHTML was released in 2000. HTML5 was just released in 2014. Then Schema.Org was released in 2011. So I'm kind of expecting more to fall out of the vB realm moving to more current software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XHTML

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schema.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_Style_Sheets

Paul M

Super Moderator
It is a fact of life, even though you don't like it.
Nope, its just a figment of your imagination, I neither like nor dislike it.
If you are daft enough to keep believing it then so be it, thats your problem.

VICE

tool
The only "fact" is that I dont represent anyone, unless I say I am.
Actually, I don't remember you ever said you are representing IB despite the fact that you did gave us info here and there that were not available officially.
Are you by any chance a whistle-blower?
Be careful, there's a Cyber Cop here in TAZ.

49er

Enthusiast

You know it is fully understandable as to why you are in denial of being a worker over at VB, even MarkB ran to the hills .. I don't see anyone actually owning up anymore to being a worker of said outfit ..

Judge Dredd

Old Guy

For your sake, respectfully, I hope you work for IB in perpetuity.

AdamD

Devotee
Seems to be dropping around 1% per month
Doesn't sound like a lot, but when you think IB/VB claim their software powers (or powereD lol) 100,000 sites, that's a fair chunk of sites moving away from Vbulletin.

arn

Aspirant
Seems to be dropping around 1% per month
Doesn't sound like a lot, but when you think IB/VB claim their software powers (or powereD lol) 100,000 sites, that's a fair chunk of sites moving away from Vbulletin.

It's hard to tell how many people are actively leaving vb, but the other factor affecting market share numbers is new installations.

I'd bet the percent of new installs using vbulletin is crazy low. So even that alone could explain shifting market share numbers. I wouldn't start a new site on vbulletin nor would I recommend it to anyone who asked me advice.

arn

Sherrie

Fan
And it's new installs that keeps them afloat not old heavily modded forums that don't want to go through the pain of migrating.

AdamD

Devotee
Still dropping like a rock.
1% a month roughly, so 7ish months time, it'll be below 50% :thumb:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-12-31 21.44.37.png
    Screenshot 2014-12-31 21.44.37.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 28
Pretty soon we won't have to ask for IB to man up and upgrade to vB5 or vB6 will just see all their sites converted to XF. :p

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Pretty soon we won't have to ask for IB to man up and upgrade to vB5 or vB6 will just see all their sites converted to XF. :p
IB tried that tack via their unsuccessful lawsuit.
If IB had won and as a result owned Xenforo - Xenforo would now be called vBulletin Ultimate and the bulk of their online properties would be on running it by now.

J.

is_it_me

or not?
So, it's one year to the day when I started this thread, and it's time for another look at the score board, i.e. digitalpoint’s cookie report:

vBullentin – was 68.3% NOW 58% (-10.3%)
xenForo – was 20.1% NOW 29.6% (+9.5%)
Invision – was 11.5% NOW 12.4% (+0.9%)

Vb5 share of the overall vB market was just 0.9% - NOW 1.9% (+1%) - some success there. ;)

Looks like those that predicated vB's market share would drop below 50% in a period of 18 months to one year are going to be the winners.

Sadly for them, the prize is a copy of vB5. :yikes: