The watching 'vBulletin's market share nosedive' thread.

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by is_it_me, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Within 6 months

18.3%
  2. Within 1 year

26.8%
  3. Within 18 months

10.4%
  4. Within 2 years

18.3%
  5. Within 30 months

3.0%
  6. Within 3 years

6.1%
  7. Longer than 3 years

17.1%
  1. DirtRider

DirtRider bah humbug

+538
    You wonder how a company like VB can become so blind to what everyone else can see and is being outright rude in voicing on their very own forums.

I will be watching this thread with keen interest thanks for posting this one and updating it for us all. Only a month or so to go and I will be rid of VB myself.

2. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,132
    This cater to people who can't precommit a large sum, so any amount they can get from them before they close their forum or migrate it away is better than when people were not crossing the line thanks to the very high price not matching the software's current reality in a more competitive scene.

Remember any outbound migration occurs without licences, ergo any future selfhosting would require purchase of new vb5 licences, or acquire one used for a fee of 45$ (very new apparently, only for vb5-era licences I hear) so while a regular user may sell his licence to recoup costs somewhat, this possibility is cut off.
    Kinda amusing, since if the software's state caused the migration, the absence of official methods to convert to a regular selfhosted community or downgrade may bite vBS, as competitors have been more than willing to offer those folks a way out with importers.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,062
    It makes you wonder because in the Cloud QA they have no problem stating facts on certain things, like there being no FTP access e.t.c. But when coming to Ads, which you'd think they could be more clear about in the QA also. Instead, it's worded "so as to be left open" for possible changes taking place. And seeing as IB do make money from forums using Ads, well, unfortunately that only makes it look more dubious as to what their future plans might be, you can't blame anyone thinking the worst reading it?

Think this Cloud hosting has been done to try and bolster the number of sites using vB5, along with expanding vBulletin as a money making machine doing it, same as IPB do offering hosting. It is a good way of getting more vB5 sites used, it will prove to be convenient for some people doing it that way, due to less cost being involved. Lets face it, how many people do you see buying XenForo, vBulletin or IPB, shelling out a few hundred pounds buying it and paying for hosting, then later selling their license on for a fraction of what they paid for it within 12 months.

So, it will suit some, I can see it being used by many people looking to run vB5 and save money doing it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  4. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    Of course things can change. There are no plans to put ads in vBCloud sites is the honest answer. Maybe next year they decide they want to offer half-price cloud hosting for customers who don't mind having ads built in- If I said "never" then I'd have all you people calling me a liar. We don't know what the future holds- any educated person can conceive the possibility I just mentioned even though there are no plans for it- it would be irresponsible to make promises I am powerless to keep.

5. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,062
    Think the only way they should be showing ads on any board taking up the vBCloud service, is offering it free with ads displayed. Don't think they should be doing it while a person is PAYING for it. After all, they might get vB5 thrown in, considered to be better than any other free hosted forum software like ProBoards showing ads e.t.c. But, it's only rented while they use the vBCloud hosting service, you don't walk away ever owning vB5.

So, why should a person even pay half price for it showing their ads? And, I wouldn't have any problem with that, if they had the brains to offer the service free using vB5 (rented) showing their ads as a condition of using it, and with maybe no database export option included. But seriously, people still paying for it and showing their ads, when IB own vB and don't even need buy a license for you to run it.

It should be paid, no ads (free database export). Used free, you get ads (with maybe the condition tied in you'll have to pay to export the database, cost dependant on DB size).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  6. is_it_me

is_it_me or not?

+287
    It may well suit some, but I doubt 'many', I would suggest 'a few'.

As you say loads of people buy licences to set-up forums, which fail, and those licences are then available on the second-hand market, often within a year.

The problem with vB Cloud is that those forums that fail to take off will disappear after a few months, meaning no further revenue for vB, any that manage to take off using vB5 (yes, I know that seems very unlikely) will then move to other hosting options and most likely convert to xF or IPB, so little if any revenue there for vB too.

7. PacMan

PacMan Tazmanian

+360
    IB probably buys in bulk and small boards dont require much server resources, so its going to be a nice revenue stream for them.

8. DirtRider

DirtRider bah humbug

+538
    The thing is these days you can get shared hosting at a great price. For the starter forum this is normally the way to go. I used Hostgator for years until my forum outgrew them. By that time I knew that I had a functioning forum with enough cash coming in to be able to get my own server.

• List
  9. rudedog

rudedog Jim

+268
    vB could have more credibility, if their Could product manager would show him/her self to their customers. Let them know where this is going and what to expect. But like usually, they have their contractors who know little about the product, can speak for the company or care about the customer speak for vB (hell if they even know they speak for them).

10. DirtRider

DirtRider bah humbug

+538
    BirdOPrey what is your connection to VB other than doing mods. I see you really into it reading some of your replies to this and similar threads.

11. rudedog

rudedog Jim

+268
    He works for vB as a support contractor.

• List
  12. DirtRider

DirtRider bah humbug

+538
    Ah ok thanks

13. rudedog

rudedog Jim

+268
    TAZ by policy and forum rules, made all the vB staff add their affiliation with vB to their title. That did not go over well with the vB contractors. They all complained and TAZ reversed that policy for them for some reason......

The vB contractors will say they do not work for vB they are only contractors and what they say in public is their own personal views unless stated. Funny thing is, not one of them has EVER stated anything they post was/is official.

14. DirtRider

DirtRider bah humbug

+538
    I missed that as I have not been around for some time now just been to busy trying to sort out my forum. Soon VB will be a thing of the past for me

15. rudedog

rudedog Jim

+268
    Good luck Dave, I'm right there with you.

When ready, my next upgrade will be IPB or XF. I as a long time customer, I will never upgrade or give vB/IB another penny. Not only is their software terrible, their business practices are worst and their customer service is going down hill faster then a run a way train.

16. DirtRider

DirtRider bah humbug

+538
    Well I hope to have my one running in XF within the next month or two. I have a load of custom mods that still need attention.

• List
  17. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    Whatever- it was a random example I made up- no basis in reality- not worth arguing over.

I am a VB Support Representative. People say I'm a paid rep but in truth they are assuming I'm paid, they don't know for sure.

Revisionist history already. It was not complaints from Mark or I that got it changed, it was other people (non vb reps) who told Sandman it was a bad rule if it was going to cause a loss of membership/activity. Also the rule was championed by people with ulterior motives who do not believe that even part time support reps can have personal opinions.

18. rudedog

rudedog Jim

+268
    WTF does that suppose to mean? I thought you where a contractor? LOL you're too funny some times.

19. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    It means exactly what it says. Not sure how much more simple I could say it.

20. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,062
    You do like playing games don't you. What's the big deal about saying if you get paid or not?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.