The watching 'vBulletin's market share nosedive' thread.

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by is_it_me, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Within 6 months

18.3%
  2. Within 1 year

26.8%
  3. Within 18 months

10.4%
  4. Within 2 years

18.3%
  5. Within 30 months

3.0%
  6. Within 3 years

6.1%
  7. Longer than 3 years

17.1%
  1. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,189
    As has been noted many times in the past, I personally am not paid to "represent" the company. I am paid to manage/maintain/update the vbulletin.com, vbulletin.org and vbulletin germany sites and systems, plus all our backend dev/test/stage systems. I am not a sales person, or a [product] support person. Strictly speaking, I'm not a vB developer either, but I still do development work on the vbc backend systems and [occasionally] little bits on vbulletin itself.

I think otherwise. :)

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  2. Checkmate

Checkmate Aspirant

+11
    I still use vBulletin 3.8 on both my sites.

So I watch this thread and digitalpoint's marketshare chart with a vested interest.

My true hope is that vBulletin will get their act together and somehow release a class leading script once again. But at this point, after all that has transpired since IB's takeover, I really doubt that will ever happen.

You would think that vBulletin's management team would see this apparent, rapid marketshare decline and would be hightly motivated to step up and do something to stop the migration to XenForo, especially given the history between the two. So far though, they seemingly haven't done a whole lot to stem the bleeding, nor does it appear they really even care.

If XenForo 2.0 comes out and is a major improvement of an already strong platform, vBulletin will probably be finished for good.

3. is_it_me

is_it_me or not?

+287
    Talk about a script floating in the cloud
    Looking like it could well be gold
    Talk about the company learning how to code
    Squashing all the bugs as they go
    Happy talk, keep talking' happy talk
    Talk about things you'd like to do
    You gotta have a dream
    If you don't have a dream
    How you gonna have a dream come true?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  4. DemOnstar

DemOnstar 50 years in the making

+762
    I feel quite proud to be a vB license owner now.
    It is good to see it on the decline and nobody doing anything to stop it.

In other words, it's got nothing to do with me and I couldn't care less. I wish I could do more but it is out of my hands.

In this vote, I guessed 2 years. Just to prove me wrong, I hope I see an 8% drop before the end of this month.

Go team go.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,189
    Still making up nonsense I see, no change there. ;)

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  6. VICE

VICE tool

+695
    You should unban him on vbcom.
    I still can't believe that you can permaban a customer.
    6 months temporary ban is max.

Or do you just forget everything that he did, defending vB5 in its early days?

7. DemOnstar

+762
    Yep, particularly here,

Here

And here

Merry Christmas. ;)

8. DemOnstar

+762
    Although I agree with the idea that customers should not be banned for life, I am not keen on the idea of dealing with Wayne Luke or Paul Marsden on a daily basis. Particularly Wayne Luke.
    How that man can attempt sell the idea of buying vB 5 to new customers and then ban them from the site for life is just diabolical. It is theft pure and simple.
    I would really like to meet this man one day.

9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,649
    Interested times seem to be ahead for vbulletin...

10. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Old Guy

+182
    We've had this discussion before, but the fact of the matter is, so long as you're being paid by a company, regardless of what you do for the company, and regardless of what you put in your signature about your posts being your own views, you represent the company with what you do and say. I'm not trying to be rude or accuse you of anything, that's just a fact.

11. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    That is just an ignorant position. Almost everyone works for someone- is no one allowed to have their own opinions? Is a Walmart cashier told she represents the company if she goes to an online forum and argues about politics or religion or such? Do you feel if a cashier posts saying she is anti-abortion that becomes an official position of the Walmart company? Worse are you going to try to email her superiors telling them what she has been saying and demanding she be fired?

Because that is pretty much what is going on here.

Traditionally only executives (people with power to speak on the ability of a company) are held to these standards.

12. s.molinari

s.molinari Leader of Skooppa

+1,958
    I am pretty sure he is talking about someone from staff talking about matters of vB. So your analogy is taking quite an ignorant position.

Scott

13. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    I am and was a VB customer first and foremost. Just like a Walmart Cashier can be a customer. She can have opinions as a customer.

14. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    Your "opinions", though, come across as heavily biased in some/most cases.
    I think whenever you recommend or praise IB or any of their products, you should state quite clearly that you are a contractor for them.

15. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    That seems like your problem, not mine. You choose not to believe me when I say I'd have the same opinions whether I was a support rep or not.

I became a support rep because I like the product- I don't like the product because I am a support rep.

If I was someone they pulled from some other company who never used VB a day in their lives and they start talking how great VB is then you're right, they are probably biased.

I however have been part of the VB community for 5+ years, most of that as a custom and plugin coder. If my vast list of vbulletin.org releases isn't proof I liked the software then I don't know what else might convicnce you- and honestly don't care.

16. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,443
    Well Joe, I "liked" the software too.. vb 3 & 4. But vb5, well no thank you. I think most would agree with that opinion.

According to vb.org you created 82 vb 3.8 releases, 95 vb 4 releases, and so far...... 3 vb5 releases.

Maybe you agree also?

17. s.molinari

s.molinari Leader of Skooppa

+1,958
    I think Joe admitted not completely understanding the more OOP style of coding vB5 supposedly brings to the table. Well, that could be his excuse. LOL! :D

Scott

18. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,721
    Both are true- I never liked VB5 before- only with 5.1.4 do I consider it to have reached a minimal standard level - and because of that I had no desire to learn how to code for VB5 What is different about me is I will be fair to the product and if it truly improves then I will be honest about that too- not like people who have already written VB 5.x and indeed all of VB, off.

19. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,443
    Well, speaking only for myself..... I didn't like vb5 from the first day, (and I was an alpha team member) and I don't like it today.

Performance issues aside, (and they still exist today) I just don't like the look and feel of it. Never did. Its launch was terribly mishandled IMO and so has it's development. I don't blame that on the developers, I blame it 100% on the management (ie McGanty). Because of how it was handled, I have lost confidence in vBulletin to produce a good product. That doesn't mean I wont look at vb 6 should there be one. But, if I switch to another platform before vb 6, the likelihood that I would return is very slim. Simply because I don't want to be going back and forth between software.

20. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,649
    I think that you have a very low minimum standard.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.