The Right Way To Do Email

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by Jim McClain, May 10, 2017.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+401
    What is the right way? For years I have used email addresses I set up in cPanel for the domains I own. I make sure each domain has a webmaster email address (these I forward to a single email account). I have a info@ type address - I use a different name than info, but it's the same idea - for each domain. Some of those are forwarded to a different account. For instance, I have 3 personal websites, each with their own email account, but 2 of them forward to the main email address I use for personal use (family, friends, etc.).

Speaking with someone from Tech Support at GoDaddy last night, the guy tried to sell me on using their services for email and to stop using email addresses I set up in cPanel. I understand using a professional service for marketing and mass mail situations, but for regular business, even the kind of email sending a non-big board forum does, shouldn't need the professional services of an email company. I'm not sure I would use a company like GoDaddy, even if it was best practice to have email outsourced.

What is the right way, in your opinion, to do email? If you do outsource, tell us what company.

Thanks,

Jim

2. pierce

pierce Habitué

+584
    Can you afford $10 a month?

You could setup all sites in sendgrid.

If your less than a 1000 a month postmarkapp wouldn't even cost a $1 a month. They give you a 25,000 email credit so 2 years free?

The point of all this is deliverability. The more validated accounts the more posts the more Google feedback the feedback loop increases as you gather like a snowball.

Postmarkapp will give you a log of delivered/opens/clicks as well and a status page:

https://status.postmarkapp.com

Sending email is an art form. Unless your sending millions your probably not able to do it right.

These services basically send on your behalf with a guarantee of delivery.

3. Paul M

Paul M Cable Forum Admin

+899
    I just run my own e-mail server(s).

Of course, you need a bit of technical knowhow with servers to do this, I dont know what your technical experience is.

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+401
    My fully managed dedicated server has a built-in mail server via WHM/cPanel. I've got dedicated IP addresses for all the important domains, SSL certificates for those domains (and the free one cPanel installs on the host machine). I have proper DNS records set up and even use IPv6. But even with all of that, I don't know much about the technology. I am providing hosting for 2 of my clients' small businesses, one of whom sells a couple of products used in flooring, the other wants to send out a "newsletter" to about 1,000 of their customers, but they don't actually sell online. Then there's my flooring forum and all its notifications sent every day. It's only 15K members and the great majority don't receive any notifications.

Jim

5. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,263
    Run forums from a few dozen members in a local site to as large as 400K membership and never had any need for an outside service. Between the MTA and a beacon image in outgoing emails, I get all the analytics I need.

6. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+84
  7. pierce

pierce Habitué

+584
    No matter how much you know unless you have a golden handshake with outlook/microsoft and some other isp's you will never configure the server "good enough" to send email to them.

8. maksim

maksim Serial Entrepreneur

+104
    For your personal emails, I have a few I run through Google business emails, ie myname@mydomain.com, but it is run through google.

For my business emails I have it go through outlook exchange (outlook 365)

All forum mail now goes through SparkPost. Only 1 issue over the last 3 years or so after they took over my business from that other company that decided to stop... forget the name now.

You can easily set up your own pop3/imap accounts self hosted.... but once your forum gets bigger, SPAM and spoofing is a huge issue... so I use sparkpost.

9. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,263
    I have found the opposite to be true. Setup reverse DNS, SPF/TXT DNS records, and use Yahoo's and Microsoft's sender validation programs (which are free). I have far more problems with optonline.com users than Google/Yahoo/Microsoft combined.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  10. Karll

Karll Enthusiast

+93
    I have my own MTA. Yes, it wasn't straightforward, but I've been learning as I go, and while it's still not perfect, it works quite well by now. I'm very reluctant to making myself dependent on third parties for essential infrastructure. Trust no one! Unless you have to.

11. enivid

enivid Aspirant

+1
    I use a dedicated mail server with SSL connection and a dedicated IP-address.The great thing about a separate dedicated email server is that it stays alive even when your websites get DoSed. It handles lots of incoming and outgoing mail easily. Costs me 30 pounds. Can't be more happy with it.

12. vikvaliant

vikvaliant Neophyte

+1
    I have a $10.00 VPS with Virtualmin/Webmin running mail for 7 business accounts on 7 different domains. As mentioned by mysiteguy, I also set up reverse DNS, SPF/TXT DNS for each domain. I can access all the accounts on one screen through the Thunderbird email client. I used to run everything off one high powered server, but now that server just runs the web sites-- and email for others.

Previous to getting my own server I looked into hosted email at GoDaddy, Rackspace, Zoho, Office 365, Gmail, as well as setting up a Zimbra server. Many of these are excellent options for multiple email addresses under one domain, as they're geared for businesses. Some have limits. For example, GoDaddy limits you to 250 emails per day per mailbox.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted