The metal thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockerfox, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+855
    My very first ever album was Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath - what an eye (and ear) opener that was for me and opened the floodgates for everything that was to come after. That was back in 1970 and I'd just left school; I made a vow then to never part with the album and to this day I still have it. It was on the vertigo label and the vinyl was as thick as it could get - long before manufacturers started thinning album down to the point where an album could look like a rollercoaster ride as the arm on the record player looked like it was experiencing a really bad storm at sea; a few coins to weight it down did the trick to stop it from jumping lol. Ahh, the good old days.

acdn_img_2.wanelo.com_p_28f_915_5f3_b3d34948d05151425550e26_x354_q80.jpg

;)

2. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+925
    some excellent tunes.
    I've seen Black Sabbath live - great ****in show.

next for me is Hatebreed... probably my favorite band. Seen them live easily 10+ times.
    the magic of Hatebreed is in their lyrics. You don't have to like metal to appreciate their message.

3. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+925
    LOVE some Expire. Shame they aren't together any more.
    Love the singer, perfect voice for the music.

How can you argue with this?

"I'm at a crossroad
    Where you choose
    You either fight, or you lose
    Refuse to let my life be reduced to rubble
    When the **** keeps piling up, get a shovel."

4. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,320
    Thread needs more Cheap Trick and Devo

5. rockerfox

rockerfox Enthusiast

+21

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,662
    I've got to admit I'm not a huge fan of metal music in general but I do find inspiration in almost everything Devin Townsend creates. His excursion into metal via Strapping Young Lad quite frankly puts most metal music into the same catagory as Justin Bieber :eek:

7. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,320
    I'm sad that no one has posted this yet. :(

8. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+855
    I have to admit that I cannot stand chaotic metal music with croaking vocals that are barely understandable lol. I prefer classic rock where the music is orderly and the vocals are easy on the ear. This grunge metal just turns me off completely; it has it's fans and it's place, just not on my ears lol.

;)

9. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,320
    Not even Dethklok? Recent discussion about college loans reminded me of this one.

10. rockerfox

rockerfox Enthusiast

+21
    That's the first time i ever saw grunge and metal used in the same sentence. Grunge was a style of rock music that emerged in the 90's from Seattle with groups like Alice in chains,Nirvana,Soundgarden,Pearl Jam and such,and many blame grunge for killing hair metal/shred.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 8:27 PM
  11. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+925
    Nothing wrong with that. I love classic rock.

But this is, quite literally 'the metal thread'. :p

12. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+855
    I would say that depends on your definition of 'metal'. Back in the 70's there were two definitions of music that stood outside of the run of the mill chart music; heavy rock, Deep Purple style music and heavy metal, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath. So it really depends on your own personal definition of 'metal' - it's not a new concept by any means.

The type of grunting, throaty type of speed metal is my terminology for 'Grunge', perhaps this is not the mainstream definition but it suits my way of thinking lol.

Honestly, I have no idea how anyone can enjoy this cacophony of noise where almost everything is just a mashup of indiscernible noise; but hey, each to their own and whatever floats your boat, but it doesn't sit pretty on my ears. I'll leave this thread for today's 'metal' lovers and start a new thread for those who are from a different era.

;)

13. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+925
    definitely. there are many 'types' of metal now.

i love classic rock.
    but i also love chaotic screaming & growls.

and on that note - another song.
    old school Dillinger Escape Plan can be therapeutic to me.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.