The Great Ezboard Disaster of 2005

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by writerfriendly, Jun 2, 2005.

1. MGM

MGM vBulletin Guru

+7
    There more than likely is... last I heard, nearly every major bulletin board system has a converter to vbulletin available at members.vbulletin.com

MGM out

2. belindaj

belindaj Enthusiast

+0
    Yes - but at least when we moved from ezboard to vbulletin in 2001 - the vbulletin staff have to do the import for you (which was quite fine with me!). Not even an extra charge.

It was seamless and complete - we didn't lose anything in the transition.

3. MGM

MGM vBulletin Guru

+7
    I believe now they allow users to do conversions on their own. If you have problems, they will assist you, so no worries there :)

MGM out

4. zanack

zanack Aspirant

+0
    I moved my site over to vBulletin from Ezboard last June. We weren't able to import the posts ourselves - vBulletin did it and still do because of the coding and lack of database at individual board level I believe.

I was with Ezboard for 4 years and it's devastating to see what's happened. My old board is still there and it's been almost wiped out - 4 years of posts just gone. Thank goodness we moved and have everything at vB now!

I have no understanding of coding, but Ezboard is still written in Smalltalk using a flat file system. Whoever hacked, would need to have known exactly what they were doing and understand Smalltalk. Speculation is that this was either a current or ex-employee which sounds the most likely scenario.

The company don't store backups to tape which is why the system has been hit so hard. I have no idea what system they use for backing up, but the fact they're not answering such questions and are closing threads when people ask is interesting!

I feel so very sorry for people who've lost their history - a lot of what gets written is personal to people and when paying for a service that promises back ups, the anger and upset is obvious.

As far as I was concerned last year, Ezboard had lost the plot and had done so for a good couple of years before that which is why I moved out. I can't see how they're going to regain any credibility after this.

5. MGM

MGM vBulletin Guru

+7
    Oh, I didn't realize ezboard doesnt allow database backups... thats stupid imo... if they cant keep good backups why disallow users of doing so o_O

MGM out

6. vBadvanced

vBadvanced Participant

+15
  7. Review

Review I am Review

+1
    All I've got to say it that is quite bad for any business... I can see ezBoard disapearing after this one.

8. zanack

zanack Aspirant

+0

They can't allow users to back up individually because everything is on a remote server - it's a sprawling network based on a flatfile db system. It seems the hacker knew exactly what they were doing and it appears that Ezboard are now having to manually retrieve what they can. What a mess!

WiBu, I totally agree with you. I can't see Ezboard surviving after the scale of this. In their main announcement about this attack the CEO talks about a new product - so insensitive but also indicates a level of desperation to keep people on board which is understandable. I would imagine the exodus will be enormous and if they haven't got the revenue to use proper backing up procedures from their Gold boards and advertising, they're going to have a lot less in the future!

9. phoenixdown21

phoenixdown21 The Man with the Plan

+43
    I was thinking that if I had a large community, and I was paying for backups to be made, and they failed to deliver as promised, I would certainly be looking at other options. If I stuck around it would only be because of a full refund and I would make it hurt.

10. Devon Aster

Devon Aster Aspirant

+0
    Ahh, things are getting clearer for me in terms of the backup. I feel very sorry for those who lost so much of their postings. Even more so for those who were paying for extra services.

11. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+190
    Have y'all read the CEO's series of *emails* to his community? It's almost a chuckle if it weren't so sad. The Great Ezboard Disaster of 2005

Especially this part:
    Liz

12. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    I think it's pretty sad what's happened at Ezboard. I started my first community there many years ago and even though I'd long left it, the forum was still there right up to this attack - so I've lost a bit of history.

Regardless of anyone's personal opinion of Ezboard and the way they run, this has affected so many people who run sites on there - be it because they can't afford to purchase their own hosting/forum software, etc down to simply not wanting or having the know how to build their own.

I know how it feels to lose data on my own site - I'm sure a lot of you here do to - and I really feel sorry for those who've had their hard work and sites compromised by this.

Yeah, we can laugh and say ezboard should have known better, but that doesn't help all those people who trusted ezboard with their sites.

So, if anyone here has/had an ezboard forum, I know it's no salve to what you must be feeling, but I for one, am sorry for what has happened to all your forums!

13. Leskiepie

Leskiepie Participant

+1
    my ezboard took a complete dive from the ezboard attack. I run a few boards on ezboard and every post.... GONE!

I rebuilt, I'm not waiting for the ghost posts to come back. I have nothing to worry about, as I don't run any private forums and such. My main board has already rebuilt up.

So many are ticked off though, sadly...they had 1000's of archives gone. And some were used for new posts, referring etc...

14. MojaveGator

MojaveGator Neophyte

+0
    I am an administator on an EZBoard that has been up and running for more than four years, with more than 2,600 registered users. We lost every single post on the board - about 500 threads in the main message base, around 100 threads in archives and about a dozen threads in secondary forums. To our users' credit, continued traffic has pushed our message base back up to around 60 threads. EZBoard originally stated that the missing data that could be restored would be back up within 24-48 hours. However, the story keeps changing. The CEO recently admitted that they do not do routine backups of non-Gold Communities. For those unfamiliar, Gold Communities pay EZBoard for more features. Ours is not a gold board. So far, our board has gotten back a grand total of one thread, an article that was in archives before the crash.

The comments from the leadership at EZBoard have been anything but reassuring. The information being passed around is vague at best, and evasive at worst. I am guessing that someone at EZBoard screwed up royally, and the hacker story has been concocted to cover it up. If I am wrong, the problem is even worse, meaning that (1) EZBoard has the most haphazard and slipshod system imaginable, allowing a hacker access to current and backup files simultaneously, or (2) it was an inside job by an EZBoard employee. In any case, I have trouble buying their reassurances that no member or financial information has been compromised.

We are looking at moving to another system. Some users are reluctant to move, as they fear that we will lose much of what has been built, primarily through the loss of sporadic visitors who will visit our old location only to find an empty board. As for me, EZBoard has totally lost my confidence.

I welcome any comments about experiences that any of you have had with other systems. We need a new home.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  15. Always Reality TV

Always Reality TV Neophyte

+0
    Having moved our site from ezboard in February, It's not terribly difficult (although I don't know if any of the previous members that you had have been "restored") I don't have much html know-how, but I found a site that taught me how to do a "redirect" on our ezboard, so that it automatically took people to the new board in 5 seconds. Also, a mass e-mail to state to members that you have moved (this also gets older members who haven't been around in a while to remember that you're there).

Good luck! Other boards are much better than ezboard anyway!

16. Leskiepie

Leskiepie Participant

+1
    Most of my posters are ezboard surfers, meaning they go to about 5 different boards that have all spun-off from one big ezboard.

I have to stay as is for mine to keep it easy for the users. But I haven't got back ONE Thread! and all of mine are gold communities! I said F ezboard and rebuilt, I don't think many will survive this crash, the biggies will leave for secure local servers to host and ezboard will find it's way to again...starting from scratch to build up it's empired. I do like ezboard for it's ease in the function controls, but this "hack"....was in inside job imo and security was not handled well.

17. Kathy

Kathy Tazmanian Veteran

+49
    When I moved from ezboard community to our own it was the beginning of exciting growth and needed revenue...to pay for the forum software and the hosting.

Thankfully, though, the size of your forum is reasonable and you could expect to find a hosting plan (check through the TAZ sponsors for hosts that cater to forums) to meet your needs that won't break your bank.

When we moved off ezboard we had just been there about 4 months and had over 5000 members (to my recollection. Its been since 2000 since we moved....)

Good luck with your move! I think you are making a wise decision.

18. bradd

bradd Neophyte

+0
    Not only is Vanchau gone but he, along with his brother ezNhat (in charge of the backup operations) and the erstwhile ez webmaster crlewis have all been globally banned from the network!

I used to be contracted there also, as a moderator at bugbase - I left in 2003 because I was disillusioned with the direction the company was taking - bugs were mounting up at an alarming rate and anyway I thought Vanchau was a complete lunatic. He emailed me several times during one of their many disasters and it seemed like he was totally nuts - either that or on some sort of drug induced high.

Anyway, this global banning has me wondering why - were they banned to stop them posting the truth about ezboard backups or is there an even more sinister reason? I can't help feeling that if Vanchau and his brother were asked to leave and were subsequently banned, they might have a good reason for revenge.

19. PSF

PSF Aspirant

+0
    I'm a member of a very large ezboard gold community that has been around since 2000 that was pretty severly hit. The owner of the board has finally decided enough is enough, and has ordered his own dedicated server and has a few of us working on pulling what posts are left (about 400K out of 1.1 million).

What absolutely shocks me is that due to bandwidth and traffic, this site is costing about SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS this year. And for that, you can't get database access?

20. jasonlustig

jasonlustig Aspirant

+0
    That's what my community did; we decided that now that we had lost all of our posts that we should just get out of ezboard now. We were a gold community too!

It's a good thing that I've been developing a community system so we were able to move quickly to a system taht was already built and ready to use, without paying any money......

Jason

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.