Featured The Extreme Complexity of Online Forum Quoting

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by Sal Collaziano, Nov 28, 2017.

1. BioWarfare

BioWarfare The uphill battle

+137
    Yes, and with enough "silent responses", posts become hidden and never to be seen again.

Okay, so just go with the flow. Like a hive mind, per se. What's even the point of a open website if people will not be encouraged to have open, constructive discussions?

2. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+741
    I'm fairly certain you're wrong about bans.
    Downvotes never resulted in a shadow ban.
    Also, shadow bans were replaced by suspensions, which can only be done by admins, not even mods.

I do agree with your point on touchy subjects. Rating systems would not be feasible in that environment.

3. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+952
    Personally, I don't want or need the opinions of the masses deciding which posts I should (easily) see or not. Let me decide, thank you very much. Staff can and should of course remove posts that don't conform to the site's standards, but other than that, I would rather just see the posts in their original chronological order. When I'm following a discussion, I don't return to the thread and pore over all of the posts from the beginning each time, and so I really only have to mentally dismiss those posts I find to be of little value to me just that first time I see them. And perhaps a post I find to be of little value, holds some value for others, and so why should my opinion of the post interfere with another person?

4. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+164
    I absolutely HATE threaded view but I think it would be good to have the option for those who may prefer it.

edit: And I just fixed another broken quote on the forum I've been working on...

5. BioWarfare

BioWarfare The uphill battle

+137
    I am pretty sure I've been shadow banned from Reddit for simply accumulating negative karma (down votes). That is why I don't like the website. I can't say what I think if it goes against what most people think. So, why would a person with any original thought even want to sign up on Reddit? You can simply go to a sub-reddit of your interest as a new user and post in a thread and say you respect the author's opinion, but you respectfully disagree and here's why: then boom. 30 downvotes and you're suddenly never going to be able to post publicly again. This has happened to me a total of two times and I have not returned to that site since then. But I guess that does mean Reddit's reputation system is working as intended, for the majority. But it is absolutely brutal for anyone who posts something the rest disagree with.

This is what I've been trying to say. Thanks.

6. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+508
    At the risk of bringing this back on topic, I don't think the answer to the problem of broken quotes is switching from BBcode to Markdown, or turning forums into reddit. The answer, for me, would be to have a much better error detection and recovery system built into forum software. When the user clicks Post, a warning pop-up informs them about the broken quote with options for editing or auto-fixing it. It removes the problem for us, improves the overall experience for readers, and minimizes the effort by posters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  7. Karll

Karll Adherent

+106
    I can already hear my users in the back of my head screaming at me because the forum for some inexplicable techie mumbo-jumbo reason won't let them post :)

Edit: To be fair, it's a novel idea, though. If it really could auto-fix the formatting, or if it can't, then at least highlight the problem without preventing the user from posting, then that would be an improvement over the current situation.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  8. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+186
    Annoys the hell out of me when I get this!

Then someone multiquotes it and I have a load to edit.
    I do find though that the XF quick reply with quote button can be slow and on mobile, using mobile data, it gets worse so I am then editing about 5+ posts with broken quotes just to try and bring it back on track.
    Definitely OCD about it. :D

9. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+164
    :mad::mad::mad:

10. M3lvin

M3lvin Neophyte

+6
    Ah ah ah, was going to make the same one.

11. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,160
    Wasn't really ever an issue for me.

I do my part these days by never quoting and simply tagging people in or not even doing that. Part of it is laziness and part of it is not caring enough to be as precise anymore. :p

12. Ramses

Ramses Adherent

+66
    What me annoys most are the answers to some posts posted directly inside quotes. Like this:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. emanuele

emanuele Bugs Developer

+196
    From my experience at the workplace, quoting has never been a thing.
    Emails were replied on top because there was the place Outlook and Outlook Express put the cursor and because for the (future) reader was the first place to look at.
    Non-tech people in companies are in the very recent years approaching the concept of quoting, but of course they are approaching it from Outlook and related products because are the thing they know and, of course, Outlook handles quoting as much as a forum (i.e. on enter it doesn't break the quote, but simply adds to the mass). That means people have the urge to find a way to identify their answer (that is bold, colors, highlighting, etc.).

That said, quoting is a P.I.T.A., and there are several issues with it (the two most prominent being: several variations of broken quoting, full-quoting-of-previous-message).
    Technical alternatives are indeed possible (e.g. if full-quoting-of-previous-message just strip the whole quote, or a "light" threading in the style of Slack threads (that are terrible, but I start thinking may kind of serve a purpose in forums), for example) of course there will always be edge cases that may make one user or another upset, that's usually not possible to fix with software...

14. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Adherent

+229
    The great majority of members on my forums, including some with extremely high post counts, don't know that they can do this (Xenforo):

15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,092
    It's a bit of a hidden gem that I use it all the time but I wonder how many members don't know it's there.

16. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+741
    As borrowed from Burning Board.

Great feature.

17. Ramses

Ramses Adherent

+66
    Yes, most members don't know all features a forum offers. It's sad that this fact is out of focus in forum software development. Wouldn't it be cool to have an interactive help system like bubbles showing tool tips or a video showing all available options?

18. Sal Collaziano

Sal Collaziano Womanizer

+164
    There should definitely be a good how to video showing features for various areas of the software... Most good apps have it these days. You install it, sign up, and are taken through a short process showing you all the important features. You can always skip the how-to if you want...

19. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+186
    Totally agreed. There's a great add-on for XF that does do a site tour but it's not entirely spot on for mobile. That said, I think it could be a great addition for newbies, or even long standing members who still don't know what's available to them. https://xenforo.com/community/resources/ha-site-tour-and-hint.5108/

I find it happens quite often with members, every now and again: "Oh I didn't know that was there" or "Didn't know I could do that".. which is a shame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  20. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+741
    Perhaps a "did you know" type thread with weekly (or whatever) replies giving tips like this.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted