The DMOZ is shutting down...

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by cheat_master30, Mar 1, 2017.

1. creativepart

creativepart For the over 60 crowd

+8
    I got lucky. One of my members was an editor and added my sites to the directory each time I started a new one. Or he did for a while anyway. But, I haven't thought of DMOZ as a "thing" to covet for probably 8 or 9 years. Sometimes when you do a whois check you'll see it as an attribute "Listed in DMOZ: Yes"

2. yuenmi

yuenmi Neophyte

+0
    I thought backlinks are important to your SEO presents, so if you don't have these directories anymore, what other options are there other than forums and social media networking?

I'm new to blogging so I'm surprise that DMOZ is closing, considering I was just sending my link for their approval last month, and haven't heard anything from them since.

3. creativepart

creativepart For the over 60 crowd

+8
    Even without them closing soon you'd be lucky to ever hear back from them. Some folks like me were lucky and got right in. Others could try for years and never get a response.

4. cbp

cbp Habitué

+15
    Why were you expecting to hear back from them for?

5. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+849
    And now it's finally happened. The site is completely unavailable at its usual address, with a link provided to an editor run static mirror.

The DMOZ is now gone for good.

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,204
    Over on WMW they said it's still there and browseable. Only the front page has been replaced.

7. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,118
    I was sure DMOZ went into some form of archive mode around 2010. It's not difficult to find something specific these days. I'm surprised directories are still around.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted