+46
    hari submitted a new Article:

The case against SEO - why social marketing is better for small communities

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
  2. shaon

shaon Where is the God?

+1
    I agree with you wholeheartedly, Hari :) You have been writing some quality articles for the members and it's greatly appreciated.:wow:

3. hari

hari Tazmanian

+46
    Thanks a lot shaon! :cheers:

4. ArcticFlood

ArcticFlood Participant

+0
    I agree with this fully :). My site, though small, is a perfect example. I think we've had 1 person register and post due to a search engine, and we haven't established a topic good enough to do SEO. Yet, I've found that when I am more active on the sites that my members come from, registration and activity picks up.

5. Transverse Styles

Transverse Styles Participant

+1
    Word of mouth drives a lot of traffic.

Everything I buy online is from word of mouth. or, if there are testimonials, that helps too.

As for communities, definitely a link from another site. Most of the searches on Yahoo! I do are for research topics.

6. NICOCLUBcom

NICOCLUBcom Nissan / Infiniti guru

+13
    Hari, well-said! Great advice for upstart communities (and some good lessons for those of us who have already attained "Big-Board" status...

I disagree somewhat with the advice to "forget the other search engines", but that's a minor quibble. :)

7. fasherman

fasherman Participant

+0
    I don't think this is so much a case against SEO so much as to frame it in the proper perspective. SEO drives traffic to the website and traffic is always good, especially combined with some type of revenue generating advertising. More clicks to your site still lead to more clicks from your site via advertising, even if it doesn't translate to more registrations.

And that is the big take-away. Traffic via search engines doesn't mean registration. Something more needs to be done.

A one-prong marketing plan is always doomed to failure. One has to have a multiple marketing methods in place to build user traffic and something unique to convert visitors to registrations.

SEO should not be ignored, but neither should it be singularly relied upon.

8. hari

hari Tazmanian

+46
    Fasherman the point I was making was that for a small community with less content SEO won't help much simply because you don't have much to "optimize". Natural organic SEO can be achieved by working on more content rather than using techniques to improve your PR.

Trying various methods of SEO early on is not really a big help and follows the Law of diminishing returns.

9. Jane

Jane Aspirant

+0
    Hari
    You have stated very well my thoughts. It is very hard to be patient when starting up a community, especially one that is very specific.

Thanks
    Jane

10. fasherman

fasherman Participant

+0
    I agree with the conclusion that it is not an effective marketing tool in the beginning phases, but since it does pay dividents later on and will require design changes that often seem disruptive to an existing community, its best to consider it as part of the initial development process - but keep it in perspective. You're doing it initially because its the best time to do something that will be important further down the road, not because it will be of immediate value.

11. Jagannath

Jagannath Aspirant

+0
    nice onee... now i'll put off this SEO thing for some other time...

12. pacman1

pacman1 Neophyte

+0
    I agree to u some what , but i can say that ur view point is totally applicable for commnities and forum but not that much applicable on business websites that sell products .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.