TechIMO upgraded to vBulletin 4.2!

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by IcEWoLF, Mar 4, 2013.

1. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+279
    http://www.techimo.com/

They use to use vB 3.8.x, glad they finally upgraded, it looks nice.

Big Boards are moving on from 3.x to 4.2.x

2. GasaiYuno

GasaiYuno Adherent

+12
    Looks pretty nice.

3. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    Don't they have the patience to wait for the unequivocally best forum software? (5.x.x)

4. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+279
    Just until last month they ran a software that went EOL years ago...
    Large boards don't always upgrade to the "latest"

5. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    Vbulletin 4 already went EOL months ago.(Dead)

6. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458
    ah, no it didnt.

7. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    As soon as 5 completed a new version of 4 will appear?

8. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    Its not really that big of a board, and besides there have been a few million-posts forums 'upgrading' into VB4 in the past, not like it never happened. Still, this does not change the fact that VB4 is an inferior product to VB3. TechIMO looks ugly with VB4's default theme, and the speed is apparently slower.

9. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458

Actually, yes. Its been announced it is coming.

10. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,063
    Soon, I guess.

11. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,735
    I bet the Admins of that forum didn't feel they upgraded to an inferior product. :unhunh:

12. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    Yeah you are right, the admins on that forum must believe otherwise. However, its not like one or two people's opinions can decide which product is superior. I never claimed VB3.8 as a better product just because I believe it is better than VB4. Of course I do consider VB3.8 as a way better forumware, but thats never the point I was trying to make. Its the fact that VB3.8 has way more users than VB4 and VB5 combined that speaks the truth. It is the fact that majority of VB users believe VB3.8 is superior to VB4 that speaks the truth. It is the fact that IB's own forums are still running VB3.8 that speaks the truth. So please, do not act like one bottom-line big board upgrades to VB4 makes any difference in the entire picture.

13. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+279
    Just because you think 3x is better doesnt mean that the majority of the community thinks 3x is better than 4x.

I feel that I maximized the use of vB 4.2 for my forums except their built in cms and blogs.
    The customizations were pretty easy to add.

14. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+810
    In relation to vB3 vs vB4 my opinions:

1. Every product choice comes down personal choice.
    2. More users using one product X than product Y doesn't mean product X is better i.e. more folks drive Toyota and Honda cars than Ferrari and Porches, doesn't mean Toyota or Honda are better cars than Ferrari or Porches. Just means product choice is relative to one's own perceptions of suitability for their own personal circumstances. Same goes for choice of forum software, folks individually make their choices based on what is best for their circumstances. How many folks here still use mobile phone models which are 1-2yrs old ? Why not upgrade to the latest 5.5" smart phone ? Well most folks would in that situation would say, the older phone suits them just fine and it isn't a matter of which is better technically etc.
    3. I agree 1-3 million posts forums aren't considered large anymore, I'll post a list below (bit outdated but those would be considered larger). I have alot of private vB clients with forums even larger (NDA protected though) on both vB3 or vB4 both can be made to run and perform very fast :)

15. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+279
    Here is another sample board using 4.2: http://www.gamekiller.net/forum.php?

The software is powerful, don't give me the B/S that it's not good, look at how much customization's the style went through and how simple things are.

16. vijayninel

vijayninel Ave atque vale

+100
    Nice but they could have customised the style a bit. They havent changed anything in the default style except the logo.

17. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+279
    True, but simple is more beautiful than a complex style. I like how they did threads#/views#.

18. Tatl

Tatl Developer

+15

...it does? It's the same default vB4 skin. o_O

19. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Habitué

+279
  20. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    I never said that my own opinion about VB3 > VB4 was the difference maker, cant you read lol? Anyway Eva2000's post is like a slap on the face of VB4 fanboys, only three 20M+ big boards use VB4, while for VB3 the number is 21, its a 7 times difference, what does this imply? Also let's not forget IB's forums almost all run on VB3, what does this imply?

Men lie, women lie, numbers dont lie. Its about time to move on and accept reality my friend, VB4 is nowhere close to VB3's popularity, and thats even under IB's heavily advertising VB4 and shutting down VB3's development completely. If IB develops VB3 instead of VB4, the latter will be dead in a few weeks.

On a side note, I never said VB4 was a bad software among forumwares. It is bad 'cause we are comparing it to VB3, its still way more professional than at least most free forumwares. The point is that, a newer version worse than its old predecessor should never be considered anywhere close to a successful product.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.