Team building activities for forum communities, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Members & Staff' started by PhobiaXX, May 15, 2019.

1. PhobiaXX

PhobiaXX Neophyte

+1
    Hey you all,

I was thinking, when you get to manage a very big community, do you think team building would bring you an edge?

I mean, team building is great for making employees more communicative and productive, and therefore, it inevitably derives into a better performance.

I also know that it is mostly done at physical companies, but I've also read about companies doing online team building activities for remote teams like "The Coffee Meeting Game", which is a short meeting to start off the day with a positive attitude.

Another interesting activity is "Who's Got the Nicest Desk?", which consists in your employees sending photos of their desk. The one who has the cleanest and nicest wins!

Just a couple of examples, but anyways, I'd like to know what you think about it. Cheers!

2. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+966
    I think that some forums do have private areas where staff can go to share jokes and stories, or talk about their own common interests outside the forum. Depending on the people, I'm sure it is possible to arrange some sort of structured team building events, such as gaming or video/audio chats. As to whether or not it gives that forum "an edge", I can't say.

Having said that, as someone who as worked for or with a variety of corporations over many years, I've never found many people who actively enjoyed most team building sessions. The exceptions are usually impromptu get togethers by a small group to celebrate the conclusion of some project.

Most of the organized team building sessions I've been coerced into or heard about have been pretty cringeworthy examples of the worst sort of pop psychology, involving silly role-playing or stupid games that are supposed to show that everyone in the company is really the same -- which no one believes. I've also observed some pretty horrendous practices initiated under the guise of team building, such as having management employees essentially forced to publicly talk about personal issues until they break down in tears, so they can be built back up to become better managers.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.