Suggestion TAZ Smilies Could Use An Update From The Stone Age

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by fixer, Jan 5, 2019.

1. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+968
    Oh man, I remember when 7up was so big they made entire games revolving around Cool Spot! I spent hours on that game playing as cool spot. Probably explains why I'm so cool today :cool:

It's funny, my initial instinct is to agree, I mean, it definitely makes the site look dated. Then I had a think, and even though we now have hundreds of emoji one shipping stock with most software suites these days, they're all just static smileys. No movement or animation at all, which actually seems kind of bizarre given the explosion in the popularity of gifs over the last few years.

I think it would be kind of cool if the best ones were simply recreated in their full animated glory to be high resolution and look sharp on all the modern retina displays.

It would be kind of cool to see a resurgence of the old animated smileys, but with a modern twist.

2. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,192
    I see your point, but disagree.

Native emojis are the way to go, and what I use on my boards (XF2 and IPS4)

They're universal.
    They always look how the user is accustomed to.
    You never have to update them, or make them compatible, or add this one but remove that one.

3. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+968
    Gif's also satisfy all your requirements. You don't need to have thousands of them in the smiley drawer, that's what giphy search is for.

But having a few unique animated ones in HD could still be kind neat.

I guess the other consideration from the last few years is the progression of the notion of reacting to content. Post reactions reduce the need to create a whole new post with a dynamic animated smiley to evoke that reaction.

4. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,072
    Honestly, I still prefer smilies to be hosted on the forum's server. The default ones and emojis are nice, but they're not specific to your site, and they often don't fit the theme very well. A site with its own set of smilies (especially ones beyond the defaults included in the software) just feels more unique, in the same way a site with a unique template does.

There's a reason Discord servers tend to have their own server specific emotes, and that's because the emotes should reflect the community. Like how on the only forum I run any more, every single smiley except a few defaults reflects the series the site is based on.

5. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,679
    I wonder about the animated smileys. These are useful and nice but also pretty much antique. There must be modern animated emoticons somewhere. Has anyone found a good assortment?

6. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,072
    Generally, my experience is that sites and apps with animated smilies/emotes now tend to just use resized gifs based on TV shows and games rather than anything designed to be an emote.

Go on any Discord server, and you can see that for yourself first hand. For example, one of the gaming ones I use has this:

ok.gif

And my own site's one has stuff like:

jimmytdance.gif

It kinda throws a wrench into the idea that people might look at the smilies here and think 'god those look old fashioned', since many don't care if their emotes are blurry, have few colours, or look as ridiculous as a cat hanging out of the window of a taxi.

For a good assortment of animated smilies, well I guess some of the themed ones made specifically for some of my sites would count. But there's no general repository for them now, like those resource sites were in the olden days.

7. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,063
    It is pretty sad the way spot went down, they say it was the boose and drugs but it was really a broken heart that sent him down the path of destruction. Once the scandal came to light and he knew the ride was over nothing seemed to matter anymore

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  8. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+968
    Haaaaang on a second, I don’t remember things the way they’re portrayed in that quote!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,192
    Legitimately LOL'd.

Well played, and kudos for being a good sport in response.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+968
    Soooo....today? :D

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  11. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,063
    :biggun::jedi::excited::drama:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  12. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,508
    Ha... that would be nice but we still have a fair bit of work to do on the development site.

Gives me an idea though. :D

13. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+968
    You going to let us loose on the dev site to see if we can break it?! :D

14. The Sandman

+5,508
    Yeah... no. :p

15. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+968
    Awwwwwww :( :p

16. The Sandman

+5,508
    I already broke it once. :eek:

17. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,191
    I'm shocked, shocked!

[​IMG]

18. The Sandman

+5,508
    Nah... it was built to be broken... I can restore it at any time. :)

19. Lala

Lala Participant

+40
    We've revised our smileys about five years ago. Got them uniformly styled, uniformly sized, ok resolution, etc. Common public domain smileys, neutral look, but not associated with any specific software/platform/time period. Added a few (actually about half and half) custom ones, in the same style. I haven't touched them since, never get complaints/suggestions about smileys, and often get compliments. Even though we're a mental health site and members complain about oddest things sometimes.

I think what made the difference is that they are all uniform and fairly neutral, and, mainly, that I sat down and sorted through what do we actually need, making it a balanced meaningful selection rather than "smileys some of us are personally attached to". I asked the members if they wanted to keep any of our old smileys, and they wanted to keep a bunch - but it turned out that they were attached to the meaning of the smiley, not the graphic itself, and were perfectly happy and excited to have the graphics cleaned up.

PS: probably has to do with the niche, but my members get disoriented and legit stressed out by native emojis, start worrying if the site is now linked to social media and not private anymore, if we were hacked, etc.

20. Ramses

Ramses Adherent

+111
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.