Question Suggestion TAZ perhaps go the way of Twitter?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by PoetJC, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoetJC

PoetJC ❤ Jacq Owns The Beanstalk ❤

+4,634
    So... I see trending on my Facebook feed an interesting development / policy change on Twitter. They are increasing their 140 character limit to 280 characters:

240-characters.jpg

Intriguing indeed. One of the reasons I've never really made much use of Twitter is because of the character count limit, which I find to be ridiculous. Anyway...

Perhaps TAZ might go the way of Twitter as for the current 140 character count limit on profile posts?
    Thoughts?...

J.

2. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+864
    Oh boy! The "Executive Twit" will love that! (sorry, couldn't resist...hehehe)

3. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+8,189
    It seem to have come into effect this morning (for my account, anyway) and I have to admit - I'm that used to writing 140 characters, that I struggled to get to 280 lol

4. PoetJC

+4,634
    OMG. I'm hoping the "Executive Twit" will have more cohesive and relevant statements to make. Either that - or 140 more characters to hurl better, more original insults at folks. I digress hehehe. But hmmm. Wish I could say something in 140 characters or less. Always struggled with that. But may actually use my personal Twitter account for once, which should be interesting. Eh... Who knows...? :ROFLMAO:

J.

5. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+8,189
    A few of us have been using the extended characters this morning to share WIP snippets. It's actually quite good for the writers in the Twitterverse, so long as you remember the option is there :D

6. PoetJC

+4,634
    Yep!
    wip.jpg

IDK... I'm waaaaaaay to verbose for 140 or even 280 character limit. Mama says I talk too damn much. Eh... But hmmmm. Then again - there are such things as Tweetstorms LOL. I'm like WOW! Why not unlimited characters??? And I think that's what the powers that be were considering when raising the limit. Eh who knows... But I think it's a great move on part of Twitter. IDK about the blocking of certain words that *may* be linked to adult content or whatever. But it seems Twitter apologized for the faux pas.

Interesting things going on at Twitter. It should be interesting to see what else they bring to pass.

J.

PS - the 1st link above ... Even Twitter Support birthed a tweetstorm of sorts. Eh... And I'm like - what's the point?! LOL

7. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+925
    Seems like something I'd be for changing. Already changed it on my own site long before Twitter increased their character limit, and feel it'd work well on TAZ as well.

But hey, may as well see what The SandmanThe Sandman thinks.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,661
    It isn’t configurable without an add-on.

9. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+506
    It can be done, but it requires file edits; I did that on one site I was running, but I can't remember which files - I used the search facility in the ACP to locate the files and manually edited them. There are a few downsides to this:

Your profile status (that's the 140 character limit) is also displayed on your member card, so some changes may be needed to accommodate the extra characters. Also, the file changes would be lost if those files were re-uploaded, as in an update.

There are a couple of add-ons that can make these changes in the XF Resource Manager; not had a chance to look for them, but they are there.

;)

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,661
    The ACP search doesn’t search files, or do you mean templates? You’re correct that it requires a file edit though.

11. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+506
    SteveSteve yeah, I meant templates lol. Though there is a file (perhaps a .js file) that needs some alteration.

;)

12. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,562
    Does anyone use Twitter ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. MarkFL

+864
    I think so, what I mean is I have heard that there are people who use it, but I don't know for sure.

14. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,684
    One for sure: Mr Trump.

15. MarkFL

+864
    That dude should get himself a TV show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. BioWarfare

BioWarfare The uphill battle

+126
    I think Twitter is better than Facebook. Twitter is actually really useful for keeping up to date with global news because you can check what's trending just on the homepage and you can also follow hundreds of news networks. And it's a lot easier to connect with some people on Twitter than say Facebook or YouTube. It's definitely underrated.

17. Pete

Pete Habitué

+148
    It wasn't very good, it was just him ordering people around to do stupid, pointless ineffectual things that people somehow got invested in, on oddly personal levels, only for him to fire those that didn't toe the line.

18. PoetJC

+4,634
    [n] Profile Post Limits 1.0.0
    It's compatible with the XF 1.5.x

Also - I did recall asking about this on XF.com back in the day. So - I googled and found the post as suggests changing the hardcode in actual files:

From: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/maximal-characters-in-profile-page-post.37011/#post-422423
    From: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/maximal-characters-in-profile-page-post.37011/post-471696
    HTH The SandmanThe Sandman if you decide to change the character limit up a bit.

J.

19. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,241
    For future reference, it defaults to 420 in XF2 but it is totally configurable.

• Informative! Informative! x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+388
    Knocked it down to 280 in XF2, but I sure do like "420."

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
Thread Status: