TAZ in Hurricane's Path!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by The Sandman, Sep 9, 2017.

1. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,945
    As some of you may know, I live near Tampa, Florida which is right in the path of Hurricane Irma. Luckily, I'm on high ground and have a lot of hurricane protection in place - hurricane shutters on all doors and windows, hurricane rated roof, hurricane rated garage doors, lightning rods and multiple levels of surge protection. etc.. Anything's possible, but I think I'm okay to ride out the storm without too much trouble.

I also have two separate broadband connections (one cable, one FIOS) and a whole house standby generator with enough fuel for days or weeks. Between all that and cell service I'm hopeful I'll have little or no communications downtime during and after the storm.

It's likely that less people are aware that our server (with Hivelocity) is also located in Tampa. They also have a lot of hurricane protection, generators and enterprise level UPS, redundant internet connections etc. Hopefully there will be little or no downtime for TAZ but again, anything is possible.

• Informative! Informative! x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  2. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+415
    Mother Nature can be a formidable force to reckon with - hope everything works out OK for you. In the UK we moan like hell when we have a minor storm (in comparison) and my heart goes out to those who have been left devastated by this enormous storm; it's heartbreaking to see people who have lost everything and are literally left standing with what they have on them. Hats off to all of the emergency services and those that chip in and help out where they can.

Lot of love and prayers is all that I can offer at this time.

:love:

3. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+643
    Sandman about to become Sandstorm...

4. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,031
  5. LordnMaster

LordnMaster Aspirant

+37
    The SandmanThe Sandman I really hope you, your family, and your friends all remain safe. I shall keep you all in my prayers.

6. R0binHood

R0binHood Adherent

+132
    We had a thunderstorm in London today with lightning and everything, by golly that got my adrenaline going. Can't imagine what a hurricane would be like.

I recommend you head to your local Winchester for a pint and wait for it all to blow over :tup:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Joeychgo

+3,031
    Lets hope this doesn't happen

acommunity.fs.com_blog_wp_content_uploads_2015_09_flooded_data_center.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,892
    Don't worry, water cooling is all the rage these days ;)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Joeychgo

+3,031
    You notice the fish?

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,892
    I must admit I didn't. It's probably made of plastic :D

11. bucket

bucket badge consultant

+188
    download a full backup to external harddrive or even a flashdrive. no reason not to.

do you have time to buy some cheap life preservers for the whole family? sure, there may be only a foot of storm surge, but.......... just in case you have to leave home.

iirc, Hurricane Harvey hit one of the namepros admins. conspiracy!

12. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+512
    We go live to The Sandman's house:

ai.imgur.com_TsBJrPo.jpg

Keep safe!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  13. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Fan

+581
    Despite the dire predictions it didn't suddenly make a hard right hand turn to get Miami as they hoped and cheerleaded for. Currently it's still not making any hard right turns. They keep modifying their predictions while still saying the storm has acted "as we predicted." They're only about 1,200 miles off and 16 hours short of anything resembling accuracy. I'm no Maven, but I think you're gonna be okay. It stubbornly keeps heading WNW with no sudden turns, right hand or otherwise and continues to weaken. It's down to a CAT 3 now.

Remember, it was all set to blast Miami as a CAT 5.

14. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,588
    While I agree with pretty much all you said, if it continues W into the gulf it’ll likely restrengthen over the open warm waters. Could be bad news...

And yes the media is just dying for something catastrophic to happen.

15. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+810
    Be safe everyone :)

16. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Fan

+581
    Yeah, it's bad news regardless. Interesting though how this is pretty much wiping out Havana and Cuba in general, but nobody's mentioning that.

They're not saying the "Fury of Irma" or the "Wrath" of it is hitting Cuba, but they keep saying this "fury" and "wrath" is coming for evil ole us. There are no stories or reports of how Castro is handling it, how he's diverting resources to care for the Cuban people, none of the nonsensical crap we're hearing here, about a Hurricane that's not even hit us yet.

17. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,175
    Be save if you are in the path of the storm and keep you family save.

18. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,382
    Yeah, except for ABC News, BBC News, CNN, Fox News, CBS News, NBC News, NY Times, NY Post, Miami Herald, The Guardian, Washington Post, The Independent, Reuters, Daily Mail, and The Associated Press using words like devastation, wrath, lashes, slams, etc. nobody's mentioned Cuba.

19. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,475
    Some British Territories hit as well (e.g. Barbados), the RAF has flown some planes in with relief supplies.

Came across this picture of the Doubletree hotel at Orlando airport.

apbs.twimg.com_media_DJcJgmiWAAEANGl.jpg