Suggestion TAZ have an organized, updated, list of Xenforo addons (in order of popularity) and their PLANS

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Digital Doctor, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    Ideas ?

It could be good for TAZ (traffic, new users, etc) to have a list of XF 2.0 ready (and not ready) addons.

One easy way would be to have a top 200 list (in descending order of popularity)
    Start with them all listed as "not ready". (or planned)
    and as they get updated to 2.0 the list could be edited and the addon deemed, released.

maybe even add an easy URL to direct people to the resource / thread.

theadminzone.com/XF2

If Xenforo itself does a good job of managing the XF2 ready list, then the list will be easy to keep up to date :) and if they don't, then the list will be very popular :)

You could add more information like

planned
    ETA
    Date it was released
    who's coding it
    Where it will be released ?
    Alternatives

I guess the addon status would be: (released, planned, ETA, orphaned)
    Details: ETA, who's coding it (might be more than option), where it will be released, progress (% complete), other information that is useful.

Thoughts ?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    So that will have a list of addons that are released.

upload_2017-8-12_13-15-6.png

and you can sort via descending downloads so that will help with finding popular Xenforo 1 addons that have been updated.

But that resource won't have all the desired information.

- a one stop shop for:
    addon plans (planning on a XF2 release, definitely abandoned, alternative options, ETA).

Title change: TAZ have an organized, updated, list of Xenforo addons (in order of popularity) and their PLANS

3. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,524
    Not something we could track here. Besides I for one won’t be bugging developers for any plans on their add-ons.

Never understood the point in these type threads because it’s limited to devs that actually give any info and 99% of the time the timing/date release is wrong.

4. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,730
    This sounds more like an Utopian idea. Ideally this would be possible. Realistically not so much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  5. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+575
    My question when I initially read the suggestion was who would maintain it...could be a great deal of work. I do think it's a good idea in theory, but the application would be difficult.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  6. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,524
    The only ones that can maintain such a thing would be the add-on developers themselves and I just don’t see that happening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+575
    I kind of envisioned one or more of the staff members here, as you say, "bugging" XF developers for their add-on plans, and then compiling and updating the data with some kind of useful frequency. That would be very time consuming, and likely the "bugging" would become an annoyance.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    No bugging anyone.
    Just compiling released info in one place.

9. Jake

Jake Developer

+1,080
    Who would procure that information? What's stopping you from creating a thread that you update with that information? Seems like a tedious task that hardly anyone would be willing to do

10. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    Many hands make light work.

11. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+391
    And too many cooks spoil the broth. If you want to extol the virtues of this idea why not suggest it over at XF where they already have the resource manager filled with add-ons and where developers hang out and promote their wares. Many developers also prefer to use their own sites for updates,support and betas, etc because that's where their clients will look first for the info they need. It would be a fruitless exercise to duplicate information already out there.

;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,614
    Agreed.

13. R0binHood

R0binHood Adherent

+101
    What might make sense is perhaps adding some new custom fields to all 1.x resources on xf.com where the authors themselves can populate info about if they plan to convert that resource to xf2, what a rough timeline or release date may be, and then an area to link to the xf2 version once it is released.

What I imagine may be useful for authors is if there was some kind of poll associated with each resource in the official manager, where xf.com members could vote to register their interest in using/purchasing that resource if it is converted, so they can measure the demand and prioritise which ones to work on first.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  14. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    I made the suggestion to drive traffic to TAZ.

15. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,410
    Why would you do this only for XF 2.0 ?

16. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,792
    First framework change in 7 years ?

Similar ideas could apply to many situations.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted