Question TAZ conversion to XF is complete | Do you see any issues?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by PoetJC, Jun 5, 2014.

1. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,326
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  2. Will_Watts

Will_Watts Habitué

+462
    About 11,000 search results still indexed for adminextra.com. Redirecting won't get you all of the SEO benefits passed onto TAZ, but it's much better than not redirecting it at all.

3. Pereira

Pereira Aspirant

+30
  4. Pereira

Pereira Aspirant

+30
    I think I get it now. I had adblock on and forum is a word that now has advertisements on it.
    I think I get it now. I had adblock on and "forum" is a word that now has advertisements on it. The word doesn't appear if someone is using adblock.

5. CarlosX360

CarlosX360 Fan

+143
    A 301 redirect should fix that.
    *Looks at ThreadBan* Wow!

6. Digitalpoint

Digitalpoint Brain

+508
    That is the whole reason we ended up putting a notice up for users with ad blockers enabled. Personally I don't care if people block ads, but when it starts causing support issues because it breaks other non-ad parts of the site, then it's super annoying. Ad blockers break a LOT of things.

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/parts-of-site-failed-to-load.2686797/#post-18760201

7. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,523
    Redirected! Thanks for reminding me - I had kept AdEx up and running on the old server as long as possible for reference purposes, and it completely slipped my mind.

8. PoetJC

+5,326
    I'm tempted to use it on you CarlosX360 :canttalk:

9. CarlosX360

CarlosX360 Fan

+143
    Try me! Try me! Try MEEEEE! :mad:

;)

10. Justin

Justin *Insert witty title here*

+780
    There's no redirect working for me...
    upload_2014-7-3_22-48-15.png

11. CarlosX360

CarlosX360 Fan

+143
    Clear your cache or something. It's working for me.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. It was redirecting before, but now it's at the godaddy screen, I think the domain is nearing expiration or something. Or a wonky redirect.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  12. Will_Watts

Will_Watts Habitué

+462
    A 301 redirect in this situation still loses SEO benefits that the old domain/links had. :)

13. CarlosX360

CarlosX360 Fan

+143
    Nope. Those URL's/links go to your site permanently until Google decides to depreciate your old site's links/URL's. So, therefore, whatever URL/link that was in the old site, is now at your new site. Whoever types in keywords that worked on the old site, is now going to your site, and not the old one.

I recently re-acquired a site that I owned back in 2005, and decided to [301] redirect it to my oldest blog. There was an upgrade of visits from what I see so far.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  14. Will_Watts

Will_Watts Habitué

+462
    Yes, and as I said, not all the SEO benefit passes onto the new domain. If you just change the URL structure of a site you will lose some SEO benefits/link juice, even if - not all of it is completely passed on, as some of it isn't re-indexed, or for whatever reason it doesn't end up all being counted. Google doesn't just add the domain onto the other domain and say "well, all looks fine to me". They have to completely re-index the site, and they don't do it all at once.

This is also a situation where two forums have merged. Old thread links going to AdminExtra don't work - they get directed to the wrong thread at TAZ. That makes a couple of thousand "dead" links that just point to the TAZ homepage, or old threads at TAZ that have already been indexed.

Google Indexes these two pages:
    TAZ - https://theadminzone.com/threads/www-07020-com.7416/
    AdminExtra: https://adminextra.com/threads/each-thread-in-vb5-has-a-latest-activity.7416/

If the redirect is set up to keep the full URL, then those two links now point to the same page. They're completely different threads, and both threads now exist on TAZ, but they no longer have the same weight to Google. Merging forums changes thread IDs of a large number of threads - consequently the old links either point to the old thread, or they just point to the homepage.

They'll get reindexed, and the rankings for TAZ will still go up, but you do not get the entirety of the SEO benefit passed on from the old URLs.

15. CarlosX360

CarlosX360 Fan

+143
    The pagerank for the original Links/URL's are still hanging up there in google - so you are getting some of the benefit of the 301 redirect. Until google takes down your URL's, all those old keywords? It's coming to your site regardless.
    I don't think you understand what a 301 redirect does. It takes YOU, from the keyword that you typed, you clicked the old thread, and it takes you to the new site. So, whatever pagerank AdEx had, it's still there... When googlebot realizes that you permanently moved your site from A to B, that's when Google takes your old links off of the database, and brings all the bots your way.
    That's the point of 301 redirects. All the old content is re-indexed, because googlebot is pretty much like a robot - it remembers what your old threads are, and they can try to match it with the new URL's at TAZ.

It'd be much easier if TAZ had installed Jaxel's sitemaps.

16. Will_Watts

Will_Watts Habitué

+462
    I never once claimed it didn't have any benefit. What I did claim, and what is the case, is that in this situation it does not convey 100% of the benefits that would have previously gone to that URL.

17. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    Using my iPhone for the first time to browse taz. It's very quick. It's a real pleasure to navigate the forums on this phone. (Never thought I'd say that about mobile internet lol)

18. JordanH

JordanH Imperial Majesty

+236
    Wheres the account upgrade page. Seems to have vanished :O

19. PoetJC

+5,326
    It hasn't made it over to TAZ 2.0 as of yet. I believe we ran into some compatibility issues between vBulletin paid subscriptions and XF account upgrades during the migration. The Sandman will have more information for you ;)

J.

20. JordanH

JordanH Imperial Majesty

+236
    Ahh okay.
    Thanks for the quick response!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.