Question TAZ conversion to XF is complete | Do you see any issues?

Sysnative

Habitué
For those of us that do have the top-bar enabled, would it be possible to move post number into the top right of the top bar?

I think post number should be top right as default, even if the top bar isn't. Although ideally both would be default (for me personally).

Sysnative

Habitué
About 11,000 search results still indexed for adminextra.com. Redirecting won't get you all of the SEO benefits passed onto TAZ, but it's much better than not redirecting it at all.

Pereira

Aspirant
I think I get it now. I had adblock on and forum is a word that now has advertisements on it.
Trying to edit a post but it won't save the changes:

Edit overlay:

View attachment 10873

After saving and a page refresh:

View attachment 10874
Post location: https://theadminzone.com/threads/account-registration-for-ips4-demo.116746/page-12#post-835127
I think I get it now. I had adblock on and "forum" is a word that now has advertisements on it. The word doesn't appear if someone is using adblock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Digitalpoint

Brain
I think I get it now. I had adblock on and forum is a word that now has advertisements on it.

I think I get it now. I had adblock on and "forum" is a word that now has advertisements on it. The word doesn't appear if someone is using adblock.
That is the whole reason we ended up putting a notice up for users with ad blockers enabled. Personally I don't care if people block ads, but when it starts causing support issues because it breaks other non-ad parts of the site, then it's super annoying. Ad blockers break a LOT of things.

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/parts-of-site-failed-to-load.2686797/#post-18760201

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
Shouldn't http://adminextra.com/ redirect to TAZ?

About 11,000 search results still indexed for adminextra.com. Redirecting won't get you all of the SEO benefits passed onto TAZ, but it's much better than not redirecting it at all.

Redirected! Thanks for reminding me - I had kept AdEx up and running on the old server as long as possible for reference purposes, and it completely slipped my mind.

Justin

*Insert witty title here*
Redirected! Thanks for reminding me - I had kept AdEx up and running on the old server as long as possible for reference purposes, and it completely slipped my mind.
There's no redirect working for me...
upload_2014-7-3_22-48-15.png

A 301 redirect in this situation still loses SEO benefits that the old domain/links had. :)
Nope. Those URL's/links go to your site permanently until Google decides to depreciate your old site's links/URL's. So, therefore, whatever URL/link that was in the old site, is now at your new site. Whoever types in keywords that worked on the old site, is now going to your site, and not the old one.

I recently re-acquired a site that I owned back in 2005, and decided to [301] redirect it to my oldest blog. There was an upgrade of visits from what I see so far.

Last edited:

Sysnative

Habitué
Nope. Those links go to your site permanently until Google decides to depreciate your link/URL. So, therefore, whatever link that was in the old site, is now at your new site.

Yes, and as I said, not all the SEO benefit passes onto the new domain. If you just change the URL structure of a site you will lose some SEO benefits/link juice, even if - not all of it is completely passed on, as some of it isn't re-indexed, or for whatever reason it doesn't end up all being counted. Google doesn't just add the domain onto the other domain and say "well, all looks fine to me". They have to completely re-index the site, and they don't do it all at once.

This is also a situation where two forums have merged. Old thread links going to AdminExtra don't work - they get directed to the wrong thread at TAZ. That makes a couple of thousand "dead" links that just point to the TAZ homepage, or old threads at TAZ that have already been indexed.

Google Indexes these two pages:
TAZ - https://theadminzone.com/threads/www-07020-com.7416/
AdminExtra: https://adminextra.com/threads/each-thread-in-vb5-has-a-latest-activity.7416/

If the redirect is set up to keep the full URL, then those two links now point to the same page. They're completely different threads, and both threads now exist on TAZ, but they no longer have the same weight to Google. Merging forums changes thread IDs of a large number of threads - consequently the old links either point to the old thread, or they just point to the homepage.

They'll get reindexed, and the rankings for TAZ will still go up, but you do not get the entirety of the SEO benefit passed on from the old URLs.