tapatalk poll. yes or no?

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by m0ldy, Jan 18, 2016.

1. m0ldy

m0ldy Participant

+8
    I have been doing a lot of research into tapatalk and I understand the benefits and drawbacks of it. I'm just really torn on the issue right now and can't decide if I should start using it on my forum.

Is the increased traffic worth the security issues and possible bugs? My forum is already responsive and mobile friendly. My PHPBB forum is also new and just hit 100 posts and 20 members.

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,500
    I removed it from all of my forums because I didn't like the direction it was taking. When it stopped being just an interface and started to take control of my users and content I ditched it. While I had it installed I had no major issues with bugs but I did become increasingly concerned with potential security issues.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. ColinD

ColinD Enthusiast

+51
    +1 as zappaDPJ said

I've got one site left with it on, but I want to remove it. Sadly it's a IPB one on 3.4 thats not going to 4... Once migrated it's gone, but every day delayed is another user. I've turned off as many nag/push/ping/even ad revenue to keep it hidden form as many people as possible.

4. Alycium

Alycium Aspirant

+7
    Currently use it but have disabled it in the past due to rumors of Tapatalk having security vulnerabilities. I've heard they've had an update, so I'm testing the waters.

5. Kaynil

Kaynil Aspirant

+7
    I think if you decide to instal Tapatalk you must be sure you want to keep it long term. If you are not sure you can do that and just want to test it, then I think it is best you don't bother with it. Basically those fears about the security risks won't disappear just because you install it but you will risk potentially angering members when you decide to take away their shiny little new toy.

I have tapatalk in my forums, because I had a few members including staff that asked me for it. I can see it is being used and I even got one or two people registering through it. So it has been kind of positive. But it hasn't really made 'wonders' for the increase of Traffic. Most people checking my forums already know of them.

Thing with Tapatalk is that they sometimes change things between updates without you realising, like taking away some options or adding others. Since they made the application free. It also makes things very annoying for no-tapatalk users that visit your community. If you don't double check the options your visitors get a full screen advert to use Tapatalk. After dismissing that they get another "header" frame while loading the site. It is really annoying. At this point I don't know which one is possible to deactivate if any.

You said your forum is already mobile friendly. That is a big advantage. So, do you have any idea how many of your members would use Tapatalk if it was installed?

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    I disabled it and lost a few members in the process but I have since gained many more afterwards. So I am not too upset about it, really. I just don't think there is a need for it. I use XenForo and the theme is very responsive and there are subscription option to be sent to emails if people want to know about when their replies are updated and such. Sure, they are not getting a phone alert or a text message about it but they can get these same alerts with emails on most modern smartphones.

7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,716
    Absolutely not. And also consider that Tapatalk will rival with your website to gain your members and bring them to their platform. As such they will keep implementing changes that harm your interest and are in their interests mainly. Its not just a mobile friendly app for your website. Its making your website content and members part of their platform. Once you are in it, its hard to untie your site from it.

8. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,184
    It's not a vital way to browse forums from mobiles anymore. All you need is a responsive skin.

Also, most people with internet-connected mobiles likely (at least those you consider most valuable) like own at least average-specced phones or tablets, so they'd be more than capable of browsing the responsive-ready site from their browsers. All they'd miss is probably push notifications, but there's a way around that for software lacking it out-of-the-box.

9. Alycium

Alycium Aspirant

+7
    I didn't necessarily want it back but it was being requested by members and staff members. Put me in a slightly difficult situation.

• List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.