Tapatalk on XenForo 2.0

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Tracy Perry, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,587
    Is NOT recommended in it's current state.

One of the Xenforo developers made this statement as to their current code level

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/tapatalk-and-v2.138001/page-3#post-1204335

If it's bad enough for them to make a comment on it like this, then one would be foolish to run it on a live site currently.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    • Informative! Informative! x 3
    • Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  2. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,114
    What's wrong with their code ?

3. Tracy Perry

+3,587
  4. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,111
    Wow. That's a strong opinion.

Thx for the heads up.

5. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+614
    This is not a new feature of Tapatalk at all, this has been an ongoing complaint for a number of years that they don't exactly integrate cleanly into the respective platforms.

6. Tracy Perry

+3,587
    Pretty sure they extended the classes correctly for the 1.x line, but in the 2.x line they've totally blown chunks and use no semblance of correct coding.
    Large enough chunks that even one of the developers is saying not to use it in it's current form.

7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,613
    IIRC they used a similar approach for vbulletin 3 & 4 and hooked straight into the database while ignoring large part of vbulletin.

8. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+461
    The only reason I use Tapatalk at all is because older vBulletin versions (specifically vB3 and vB4) are not responsive and don't have decent mobile styles.

Why anyone would install Tapatalk on a responsive forum (Xenfor0, or vBulletin 5 if you don't mind waiting 10 minutes for pages to load) is completely beyond me.

9. LeadCrow

+2,114
    Agreed. Browsing speed for users should theoretically be faster loading a responsive version of your forum than going through Tapatalk, even if it served a cached/accelerated version of your content.

Mobile browsers and devices nowadays much faster than when all smartphones were underpowered, so a dedicaced app certainly makes a lot less sense nowadays since it suppresses a lot of your forum's customizations (addons, skins, special pages).

10. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,049
    Is it faster, the problem with the responsive design is that you hide elements and not download it. Responsive design is great but you still send information that is not needed. Think images they are only rescaled in size not in file size. A real mobile theme should also have access to other sizes of images that are smaller in file size. That’s one of the reasons i ask for multiple thumbnail sizes, but also for add-ons to use it.

11. djbaxter

+461
    It's not about speed. It's about Tapatalk nagging visitors to your forum. It's about limited or no options for your own advertisements, depending on whether you pay for premium and which plan you pay for. It's about not having Google Analytics available for your Tapatalk users unless you pay for a premium plan.

I use it on some forums because I pretty much have to - well, short of changing forum software (I have absolutely no interest in upgrading those forums to vBulletin 5, which was the speed issue I was actually referring to above - I get annoyed even trying to load pages in vBulletin.com).

12. LeadCrow

+2,114
    Couldnt you switch software? I cant imagine Tapatalk being so valuable its holding back upgrades.

13. djbaxter

+461
    It's not Tapatalk holding me back from changing software. It's time and money and the investment in styles and add-ons. Otherwise I'd switch to Xenforo.

14. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+614
    That would be the only time they ever did it right then. For all the other platforms they've done it how you describe for 2.0...

15. Tracy Perry

+3,587
    I think it actually helped at the time that they were running XenForo on their support site.

16. THM

THM Aspirant

+9
    First, they were caught by surprise with the speedy stable release of 2.0, and had no addon.
    They generated something fast, and it generated loads of server errors.
    They then generated updates, and the errors disappeared, for the most part.
    But, when you install new addons, they crop up again.
    Our users want Tapatalk, or we wouldn't install

17. Tracy Perry

+3,587
    I call bulldookie. There was an EXTENDED period that the developers version of Xenforo was available for that very purpose AND they were interacting with the developers that had questions. To top it off, TT previously used XenForo on their site, so their cost to run the DEV version in a test environment was negligible.

There was no "surprise" there.... they just thought they could do business as usual.

18. djbaxter

+461
    Bulldookie is a catchier name than Tapatalk, too. :D

19. THM

THM Aspirant

+9
    When I asked, they told me that they had to wait until the final stable version before the made their plugin for XF2.

As it is, it continually generates errors, not many, but one or two every so often. I have sent them several support tickets, and get no response whatsoever.
    It looks to me like they are on the skids. How can you run a company this way?

20. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+832
    With boatloads of VC money, no real competition and by having a product that no matter how much they bugger things up for admins, users still love it and desire it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.